June 26, 2008

Your Second Amendment Rights Upheld

Supreme Court overturns DC gun ban.

Turns out the right to bear arms is the right to bear arms. Imagine that!

Rachel Lucas writes:

The ruling has nothing to do with being “in favor of guns.” It’s to do with giving decent people the right to own tools with which they can defend themselves against scumbags and the government itself. It’s really not that hard to understand.

The more I read about this, the more I am actually disturbed by the fact this was a 5-4 decision. That means four of the most powerful people in the land truly don’t believe the 2nd Amendment applies to individuals, and it’s not going to be very fun when President Obama gets to work and flips that ratio hard the other way.

Posted by Karol at 11:33 AM |
Comments

In a dissent he summarized from the bench, Justice John Paul Stevens wrote that the majority “would have us believe that over 200 years ago, the Framers made a choice to limit the tools available to elected officials wishing to regulate civilian uses of weapons.”
fuck Stevens.

Posted by: E5 at June 26, 2008 at 11:41 am

And you know as soon as Obama is sworn in, Ginsberg and rest of the elderly liberals will retire so he can appoint a new generation of ‘progressives’.

Posted by: Snoop-Diggity-DANG-Dawg at June 26, 2008 at 11:42 am

Yeah, I’m no fan of John McCain, but one of the reasons I’ll vote for him is because I don’t want Obama appointing supremes. That has ruffled some anti-McCain feathers on some blogs, and several times I’ve heard the argument that it won’t matter if Obama appoints a supreme, because he’ll just exchange one lefty for another.
What that doesn’t take into account, however, is the huge difference between an elderly lefty with maybe a few years left and a brand spanking new lefty ready to put in a generation or two.

Posted by: Kensington at June 26, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Here’s the catch:
Everywhere I’ve read about the Heller decision, I’m seeing comments such as:
“I’m a liberal and I’m glad that this decision was made.”
There are A LOT of them. If you go look at the Daily Kos article on Heller, not only is the article pretty straightforward and honest, but a large number of the commenters defend the decision.

Posted by: Pokerwolf at June 26, 2008 at 1:12 pm

That is interesting. I have an elderly aunt/lesbian/marxist/avant guarde artist who owns multiple fire arms. I’ve never owned one myself.

Posted by: Snoop-Diggity-DANG-Dawg at June 26, 2008 at 1:57 pm

This is a decision worth celebrating, as a relief. But why is it that everytime I say “First round’s on me,” people who know me tend to duck?

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at June 26, 2008 at 4:01 pm

I’m no lawyer, but I always figured the entire point of the bill of rights was to limit the tools available to elected officials.

Posted by: Eric at June 26, 2008 at 9:57 pm

The 2nd Amendment especially is there to limit the government. No one starts the killing fields when the populace has the capacity to resist. It’s only _after_ the guns are taken away (for our own good, of course) that folks start the silliness.

Posted by: James at June 26, 2008 at 10:06 pm

This is a win for everyone. I’m just sad that the most righteous are the most ill-informed. Honestly, our personal reading of the second amendment is probably not nearly as important or skillful as the reading of William Blackstone, even if they fortunately coincide.

Posted by: David at June 30, 2008 at 4:24 pm