June 26, 2008

Song of the Day

“Gimme Shelter” by the Rolling Stones.

I’ve been spending a lot of time in a car lately, and thus been listening to the radio, and I’m saddened to report that, so far, this year’s summer music a-sucks.

If I hear that retarded “million” song again I’m going to lose the freaking plot, and I really thought I was going to love Lil Wayne when he made it big. Headache inducing. Horrible.

Love in this club“, “Bleeding Love“, “I kissed a girl“, “I luv your girl” are all utter crap, especially when compared to last summer’s awesome anthems (at this point in the summer we were already bumping “I Get Money”, “Stronger”, “Make Me Better” and a whole bunch of decent to great music. Even “Umbrella” was so much better than what we’ve got now. It remains a travesty that “American Boy” isn’t on high rotation; it is clearly the summer song). It’s a bad scene when my favorite song out right now is “Bust it Baby” by Plies. It’s a 5 on a scale of 1-10, at best (could be a 6 but that “wet wet” line just kills it), and yet it’s the only thing I’ve been turning up lately.

So, anyway, to get back to the Rolling Stones song: after listening to all this nonsense, I heard “Gimme Shelter” on the classic rock station and it sounded so amazing. Pure, beautiful, just a great sound with actual instruments and interesting lyrics. The dj almost killed the vibe after it was over when she said this was one of Obama’s favorite songs but it was still the best thing I had heard all day. By far.

Comments

Ha ha, wow, I must be completely out of touch on modern music, because I hated everything you linked to except the Stones. Mind you, I’m 40, and perhaps it’s always like this as you get older.
This week I’m listening to the Bee Gees from 1989:
(video from 1997, not 1989)
and the Ramones from 1977:
Last week it was Meat Loaf from the 90s:

Posted by: Kensington at June 26, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Dizzee Rascal and Calvin Harris “Dance with me”. Gonna be big. Mark my words.

Posted by: bryan at June 26, 2008 at 4:13 pm

not new, but maybe new to you… to get you prepared for your trip to italy:

Posted by: E5 at June 26, 2008 at 5:30 pm

Just had a surreal experience. Played the Gimme Shelter vid while watching last night’s Jon Stewart muted. Some silly young band called Coldplay was silently bouncing around the stage to the cry of “War… children… it’s just a shot away.”
It spoke volumes about the decline of Western music.

Posted by: W.C. Varones at June 26, 2008 at 11:25 pm

It spoke volumes about the decline of Western music.

Posted by: W.C. Varones at June 26, 2008 at 11:25 pm

I’m busting a gut over here that you’d like “Bush is a terrorist” Kanye West then, not a few sentences later, mention having second thoughts about the Stones because Obama likes them.
Even so, I’ll agree with you on ‘Gimme Shelter’. Amazing song. Timeless, too.

Posted by: Venomous Kate at June 27, 2008 at 5:51 pm

You know, I just didn’t need to know that Obama loves Gimme Shelter. I’m listening to music, not thinking about politics. I love Kanye’s music but hate Kanye (not just for his politics, he seems like a huge douche).

Posted by: Karol at June 27, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Obama is lying. He says he likes the Stones so he’ll come across as a regular guy. Just like how he said he supports the death penalty and the right to bear arms. Lies. All lies.

Posted by: W.C. Varones at June 28, 2008 at 8:40 am