May 30, 2008

Ick

In ‘Sex and the City,’ number of sex partners true to New York life (via Hot Air headlines):

Of the four women, public relations exec Samantha racked up the most sexual partners. She bedded 41 men and one woman, while Carrie hooked up with 18, Charlotte 18 and Miranda 17.

As the show begins with them in their early to mid-thirties, I imagine there is at least a decade’s worth of Sex in the City that we didn’t even see.

While women with digits like Samantha may keep their number to themselves, Zdrok makes the case that it’s something to be proud of. “Women with higher numbers tend to be more educated, have more liberal views and higher self-esteem,” she says.

I’ve got a Master’s degree and my self-esteem level borders on “too high”, so I guess it’s the liberal views that separate me from women whose partners number in the triple digits.

Posted by Karol at 11:19 AM |
Comments

At some point near the end of the show’s run, Miranda says her total number of partners is 42 or something like that.
Why are you saying “ick”? Didn’t you once tell me (vis-a-vis someone else, not you) that having dozens of partners wasn’t unusual for a Manhattan girl?

Posted by: Allah at May 30, 2008 at 11:38 am

What the hell is “Sex and the City”…. a popular novel or something?

Posted by: E5 at May 30, 2008 at 11:51 am

I’m sure it’s not unusual, and a dozen is different than 100.

Posted by: Karol at May 30, 2008 at 12:06 pm

As I say, none of the SATC women (except Samantha) were in the ballpark of 100, I believe. And when we had that conversation, we weren’t talking about “a dozen.” It was several dozen.

Posted by: Allah at May 30, 2008 at 12:08 pm

Allah, I didn’t know you were a fan of SATC. Have you seen this parody…it’s not funny, it’s just weird. http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2008/05/sex_and_the_city_with_female_b.html

Posted by: Petitedov at May 30, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Great line on Family Guy the other night when they were watching SATC. Dewey: “So this is show about three prostitutes and their mother?”

Posted by: Jim Lesczynski at May 30, 2008 at 1:21 pm

Yeah, I’m a fan, although the show’s so associated with gay culture that to admit that as a single guy is to invite endless mockery. I’m debating whether to go see it this weekend. I want to, but with my luck I’ll end up at a theater where there’s a news crew working on a story about how few men there are going to see it. Cue the reporter sticking a camera in my face: “Pardon me, are you gay?”

Posted by: Allah at May 30, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Karol, they omitted specifying the major theese women’re educated in.

Posted by: Tatyana at May 30, 2008 at 1:36 pm

I have seen all of two episodes of the TV series during the show’s long run, and I always thought that the characters were pathetic losers in their personal lives, no matter how accomplished they may be in their professional lives.
BTW, with bed partners in the dozens for these characters, was there ever a show about their STDs?
chsw

Posted by: chsw at May 30, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Considering the number of people living here who have venereal diseases that doesn’t surprise me. Kim Catrall, ca. 21st century, having sex is kind of creepy though.
OT, I’m going to be appearing-barring unforeseen events-on a program this coming Tuesday (June 3rd, 7 PM) discussing the issue of illegal immigration. For all you Manhattanites it’s Channel 56 and/or 83, Time-Warner, or you can watch streaming video live on mnn.org.

Posted by: Gerard at May 30, 2008 at 4:14 pm

I would say “ick” too, but that kind of thing raises my odds a by a significant amount.

Posted by: Eric at May 31, 2008 at 6:00 am

And tend to favor bukkake makeup.

Posted by: Radical Redneck at May 31, 2008 at 1:56 pm

i would be more inclined to comment if SOMEONE entered letter writing contests to, you know, WRITE LETTERS.

Posted by: E. E. Grimshaw at May 31, 2008 at 2:13 pm

On a slightly related topic, did you ever find a bed?

Posted by: someone at May 31, 2008 at 9:48 pm

Great related piece here by Kyle Smith, although I’m not sure what to make of his conclusion.

Posted by: Allah at June 1, 2008 at 11:42 am

URG…I know, awful. I just got your letter like last week (don’t visit the east side much). I won’t win the contest but I will write back.
On a slightly related topic, did you ever find a bed?
Yep:

Posted by: Karol at June 1, 2008 at 11:44 am

LMAO, NOBODY is funnier than RAD!!!

Posted by: Casca at June 2, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Charlotte was the hottest of the four of them by a landslide.

Posted by: David at June 3, 2008 at 3:18 pm