April 28, 2008

Wright on

Everyone is blogging up the latest Reverend Wright comments and Jennifer Rubin at Commentary points to this exchange:

MODERATOR: What is your relationship with Louis Farrakhan? Do you agree with and respect his views, including his most racially divisive views?

WRIGHT: As I said on the Bill Moyers’ show, one of our news channels keeps playing a news clip from 20 years ago when Louis said 20 years ago that Zionism, not Judaism, was a gutter religion.

Except, of course, that “Zionism” is not a gutter religion, it’s not a good religion, it’s not a religion at all. Everyone knows what Farrakhan said, the fact that Wright is in denial about it is purely defensive.

Wright goes on to say that Farrakhan didn’t say anything different than the U.N. or Jimmy Carter, or Desmond Tutu. He concludes with:

Louis Farrakhan is not my enemy. He did not put me in chains. He did not put me in slavery. And he didn’t make me this color.

Does Wright know he was never slave or does that need to be clarified to him? His last sentence, though, that Farrakhan didn’t make him “this color” is particularly weird. It sounds like he’s calling being black a bad thing. Wouldn’t it be G-d who made Wright that color?

Comments

Obama has forced his children to listen to this hate monger their entire lives. How can Obama sleep nights? How can his children sleep nights?

Posted by: Jake at April 28, 2008 at 11:13 pm

I’m pretty sure race relations are going back about 20-30 years when this is all over.
But this time, black Americans will have been revealed to be as racist as white Americans were 20-30 years ago.
They’ve just never been called on it until this fracas. Black America has existed in a bit of a bubble, and few have seen these attitudes and, subsequently, none have been able to challenge them.
Now, black racism is there for all of us to see, with the legions of black leaders backing Wright up at every turn.
The question is, will “black America” continue to think it is perfectly reasonable to hold these views, or will they begin a period of self-examination and reflection to rid themselves of these prejudices.
Just as “white America” has largely been doing the past several decades. And making slow but sure progress.
Time will tell.

Posted by: Sean at April 29, 2008 at 4:51 am

I refer you to what Chris Rock said about old black men. The fact is that this man is old enough to remember segregation, so, whilst he wasn’t born a slave, Karol, he may have known people beaten for looking the wrong way at a white woman.
At this point I would like to refer you, Karol, to your comments about Russia. You seem to not be able do differentiate between the USSR, post glasnost Russia, and the (unfortunate) present day Russia in your posts. Fair enough, you grew up with your dad referring to it as ‘Hell’ (you see, I do read your posts!). I understand why this is so, and in effect, live with it. You need to do the same with people of Wright’s Ilk also. You are shaped by what you have known.

Posted by: bryan at April 29, 2008 at 7:27 am

“The Man” been keepin’ him down. LOL, Bryan, I’ll keep this short. You’re an idiot.

Posted by: Casca at April 29, 2008 at 10:21 am

Ah, the old, “The Man been keepin’ him down” ploy. Bryan, I’ll keep this short. You are an idiot.

Posted by: Casca at April 29, 2008 at 10:23 am

What’s that saying? “‘Tis best to keep your mouth closed and have others think you are a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt?”

Posted by: Shawn at April 29, 2008 at 10:49 am

Bryan, you’re totally wrong that I don’t differentiate between the Soviet Union and Russia. Russia might be a disaster today, and it is, but it’s not nearly as bad as under Communism. It’s just a different world. Similarly, segregation wasn’t nearly as bad as slavery and whatever racial problems we might have today are not nearly as bad as either of those times.

Posted by: Karol at April 29, 2008 at 11:18 am

“he may have known people beaten for looking the wrong way at a white woman.”
A Zero once strafe the Filipino side of my family during World War II (didn’t kill anyone but nearly got my mother). So by your logic of association, I should hate Japanese people today?

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at April 29, 2008 at 11:52 am

Well Perry why would we be hating Japanese people? We resolved that issue, we exacted our revenge upon our enemy, we bombed them, we killed them – after that came time for forgiveness. Has the ugliest chapter in American history been truly resolved? Do not the legacies of slavery and racisms still prevail – a whole segment of our society and its descendent suffered a terrible atrocity, and our way of apologizing was to say: Hey there, we did a lot of bad stuff but now you’re a free man in a foreign land…..hope that works out for ya.

Posted by: Toowoozy at April 29, 2008 at 12:36 pm

In my opinion, the biggest social change from this campaign will be the realization on the part of average white people that while whites have been conditioned to scold each other at the merest hint of racial bias, a significant portion of the black community considers anti-white bigotry a birthright.

Posted by: Eric at April 29, 2008 at 1:52 pm

We didn’t forgive them, we punished them. Forgiveness is what you do instead of bombing your enemy.

Posted by: Shawn at April 29, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Sean you are right. Any black that believes Wright’s racism message is condemned to a life of poverty or at a minimum builds a huge roadblock to their quest for success.
The exception is black “leaders” who promote racism and they become millionaires from speaking fees and grants from left-wing groups.
Wright, Obama, and Cone are today’s slave masters getting rich on the backs of poor black people

Posted by: Jake at April 29, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Um, Bryan, you’re a dumba**.
Sorry, but getting beaten up for looking at a white woman the wrong way is not justification for racism any more than being mugged by a black man is.
Moreover, it cheapens the horrendous crime that was slavery to compare segregation to it. Segregation, strange fruit and all, was an order of magnitude less painful than slavery. I challenge you to go read Uncle Tom’s Cabin, then Malcolm X’s autobiography / Ordinary People / Cold War and the Color Line / Parting the Waters / civil rights book of your choice, then come back and tell me that we’re even talking about the same situation. Was segregaton good? Uh, F___K no. However, there’s a difference between Emmett Till (dumb hillbillies) and the systematic, ordered destruction of black families, sanctioned mutilation of “slave stock,” and innate cruelty practiced in the United States pretty much from inception.
While I acknowledge what Chris Rock, comedic genius that he is, was saying it’s still no excuse to be racist. Nor is it the “white man’s” fault that black Americans, especially in the inner city, are slowly but surely destroying themselves. HIV is the white man’s tool? F-ing please–ain’t you folks heard of the Manhattan Project? Trail of Tears? When the American government sets out to kill us, trust me, we’ll know.
No, the problem right now is that “the man” has let Al Sharpton roam free, given black performers a free pass, and kept black folks from actually getting educated so they can boo jacka**es like Wright off the stage. Oh, wait, that’s not _THE MAN_, it’s _U.S._ (to quote Ice Cube). Maybe Reverend Wright could’ve spent a little of that time he was castigating the United States and changed some of his sermons to, “It ain’t the white man’s fault you’ve got 10 baby momma’s you stupid son-of-a-bitch!” (Alternate title: “Yes, the Lord said to go forth and be fruitful…but he didn’t think the part about ’support your kids’ needed to be spelled out.”) Or, hey, maybe encouraging members of his flock to join his beloved Corps and serve the Republic rather than praying for its chickens to come home to roost. But, wait, that’s just crazy talk, right?
So, yeah, as someone said, Obama and his pastor have basically blown race relations up. There’s freedom of speech and association, but when you associate with a dumba** and talk sh*t…well, by your friends we will know you. Obama has basically demonstrated that he’s as good as picking his friends as Bill was at picking his mistresses. I never thought I’d be in a position where I thought Hillary had the best judgment in any political situation, but by God (no, not the one that should be damning America) we’re there now. While a floor flight just might tear the Democrat Party apart, maybe a little ritual seppuku is just what the donkey needs.

Posted by: James at April 29, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Reading upwards:
1) James, when did I compare segregation to slavery? Quote me if you like, but what I said was that Wright would not have been born a slave, but could possibly remember when some states’ policy was, well, not good for black people.
2)Perry, a specious argument. I haven’t said anyone should hate or like anyone. If you did hate the Japanese government for damaging your property, I could understand. If you don’t, just as good.
3)Karol,
“Similarly, segregation wasn’t nearly as bad as slavery and whatever racial problems we might have today are not nearly as bad as either of those times.”
How do you see yourselfas an authority on this?
4) Casca, the idiot calling double-poster, had you read my post like someone who could understand, you may have realised I have never said anyone was keeping anyone down. That said, there are people in society who bear a grudge against others due to their experiences in life, or in the past. I compared Karol’s family to Wright to point out how these things can actually be quite understandable. Hope this helps.
5) Someone mentioned Native Americans. Their ethnic cleansing is indeed a terrible stain on the history of the USA.
6 I thought, having reviewed Wright’s appearances over the weekend, that he was no worse than Hagee, whom McCain welcomed the endorsement from. The bit about serving 6 years in the military whilst the denouncers of him didn’t do their bit was particularly clever of him to mention.

Posted by: bryan at April 29, 2008 at 4:23 pm

How do you see yourself as an authority on this?
Because I have eyes and live in America.

Posted by: Karol at April 29, 2008 at 4:32 pm

I thought, having reviewed Wright’s appearances over the weekend, that he was no worse than Hagee, whom McCain welcomed the endorsement from…

…and soon after, announced he didn’t agree with Hagee’s anti-Catholic views. No arm twisting necessary.

Posted by: Shawn at April 29, 2008 at 4:59 pm

Karol, does your knowledge of Rap music extend back to Public Enemy or BDP or NWA or Ice-T? I think your life experiences and the ones mentioned on records by the latter may be somewhat different. For example, look at the post you did about people queing for a bargain and missing Thanksgiving. A study in toffee-nosedness IMO.

Posted by: bryan at April 29, 2008 at 5:53 pm

So, I need to live through segregation or slavery to know things are better today? Really? That’s your argument? And no idea what toffee-nosedness means.

Posted by: Karol at April 29, 2008 at 5:59 pm

Okay, so if one’s knowledge of rap music does extend back to NWA (”Why no officer, that song didn’t just say F*ck the police…”

Posted by: James at April 29, 2008 at 7:08 pm

James, in no way did I suggest any similarity, your inference of same I can understand, do you see why I would think that?
I would love to quote “You played yourself” by Ice-T, but it would take too long. Suffice it to say, it deals with the idea that a person has to look to what they did themself before blaming others.
I’m glad you were brought up as well as you have described. I repeat the thrust of the suggestion I have made. Our experiences and upbringing inform us. Yours – one way. Others – another way. If people blame someone for the ills of their society due to their race, it may well be understandable when what they have experienced is brought in and analysed. It really isn’t that contraversial a suggestion, and no further inference is required.
Karol, toffee-nosed, snobbery. The fact is you are one of the 10-20% of people from the USA who have a passport. I’m also fairly sure that, if you look at the posts before and after the Thanksgiving example, you also further separate youself in a Venn diagram of US population by being able to afford Aruba and being able to shell out $300 for shades, not to mention your religion and birth outside the USA. What I am saying is that you might not be able to relate to some other groups of people in the USA the way you think you might. It’s just a notion. btw, the fact that you can afford your vacations away and sunglasses and times out on the town is NOT, repeat NOT a criticism on my part. You do what you like with what you’ve got, and good luck to you. The USA, heck the NYC you have grown up in is different from the one somebody one or two miles away has grown up in. You may have a lot in common, but it will still be different. I have a great deal of respect for you, even if I cannot always agree with what you are saying. I’m not the only one, it would seem, as nobody started chanting a personal responsibility mantra on your friend’s obituary. It’s a lesson to all of us.

Posted by: bryan at April 30, 2008 at 6:24 am

Woozy: If you had any concept of how the world works, you don’t forgive someone while he’s trying to kill you. Now, if you at all fathomed what I had written, you’d understand my point that Japanese today aren’t the “dirty Japs” who tried killing my family. I have no reason to hate Japanese today for what their forebearers did. But “Reverend” Wright apparently hates all white people today, notwithstanding nobody alive today is responsible for slavery’s sin.
If you want to talk about racism, look at Wright first. He put himself in chains to play the “oppression” card, to blame Whitey blah blah blah. If he and black Americans don’t like it here, if they feel this is a “foreign land” to them, then they can go to Liberia, which was founded for slaves.
bryan: I guess you also didn’t understand what I said. I wasn’t talking about you advocating/wanting/understanding hating others, I was talking about Wright. See above, then get back to me.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at April 30, 2008 at 9:03 pm

Perry, it’s very kind of you to tell those people decendant of slavery to remove themselves to Liberia, but why shouldn’t they stay and attempt to improve things in your country if they want to?
Considering your stance on the benefits of ’sweatshops’ to the world in general, I think your opinion on the matter of how peoples are treated post colonialism doesn’t mena much to me…sorry.

Posted by: bryan at May 1, 2008 at 2:07 pm