March 30, 2008

The gender thing

I.C. and I are heading out on this sunny Sunday to get what’s being called Manhattan answer to DiFara’s pizza (and then to this exhibit at the Chelsea Hotel. I admit I am mostly going because I want to see the Chelsea rooms) so I can’t write more than “this is good, go read this” about Kyle Smith’s piece on women’s liberation in today’s NY Post. But seriously, it’s excellent, go read it.

Comments

I remember when I was in college (back when you were still playing jacks) my good friend Gail related an anecdote to me. She and her dormies were sitting in a big group in the cafeteria discussing the future. So they went around the table answering the wattayouwannabe question you ask each other (and yourself) at that age.
One wanted to be an astronaut. A doctor. Lawyer. etc. When it gets to Gail she says “I want to be a mother, to stay home and raise a family”. She said the temperature in the room dropped twenty degrees, and the ones who would still talk to her at all spent the rest of the quarter trying to convince her she was wasting her life with such low ambitions.
It always seemed to me like swapping one set of shackles for another. After living in cubeville for twenty years lemme just say… ladies, if this is the life you you want, you’re welcome to it. Any gal with a good income who wants a dependable househusband give me a call.

Posted by: Eric at March 31, 2008 at 7:04 am

Women good. :-)
Men bad. :-(

Posted by: Snoop Diggity-DANG-Dawg at March 31, 2008 at 9:17 am

Eric,
The Lolita debate series in NY once did a debate on whether a woman’s place was in the home. Now, I clearly don’t think a woman’s “place” is in the home (I’d like to see someone tell me where my “place” is) but one of the questioners asked something genius to the guy debating that a woman’s place was indeed in the home: aren’t you ruining the greatest trick men ever pulled which was convincing women that working is a good things, something they’d want to do?
I mean, working sucks, and I love my job!. I want to read, write, go to museums, take walks, travel, go to museums, see friends, learn new things and generally live a leisurely life. Who wants to work!?
I really related to this part:

Much of Pinker’s book is confirmation of what we’ve all noticed in the past few years, what she calls her “front porch” observation of seeing educated (and happy women) home most of the day. Women who were once locked out of the best jobs now turn away from them (they also continue to avoid the worst, dirtiest and most dangerous jobs). The percentage of female participation in the workplace rose steadily for decades but has now begun to subside.

I feel like there was an expectation of me to be more ambitious but I’m just not. My job has me working from home and I love that.

Posted by: Karol at March 31, 2008 at 10:47 am

so what’s your expert opinion on the pizza? i can’t wait to go, maybe tonight. was it crowded? i don’t want to go if it’s crowded. maybe they deliver.

Posted by: wza at March 31, 2008 at 12:07 pm

It was awesome. I loved the regular slice and the artichoke/spinach slice was amazing and unusual (I’m a pizza purist, though, I’d go back for the regular and take a bite of someone else’s artichoke one).
It wasn’t very crowded, we got there like 2pm on Sunday afternoon. But it’s a small place and nowhere to sit. We stood and chowed.
Some pizza pics (sidenote to WZA, was there with your ex-roomie):

Posted by: Karol at March 31, 2008 at 12:37 pm

looks pretty good! i think it’s going to be one of those pizza for lunch and dinner days.

Posted by: wza at March 31, 2008 at 3:25 pm