March 28, 2008

Song of the Day

“I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself” by White Stripes.

I was excited to discover that Sophia Coppola directed the video for this song and that it featured Kate Moss. But the video, which in its entirety features Kate playing stripper on a pole, is so surprisingly boring (not safe for work, obvi). I expect better from everyone involved.

Posted by Karol at 11:43 AM |
Comments

Do you expect better from your favorite hip-hop videos where they do the bump-and-grind and flash gang signs ?

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at March 28, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Girl needs a cheeseburger.

Posted by: Mark Poling at March 28, 2008 at 1:19 pm

If they’re directed by Sophia Coppola, yes.

Posted by: Karol at March 28, 2008 at 1:32 pm

I think the source material to begin with is flawed. But different strokes, etc.

Posted by: Shawn at March 28, 2008 at 1:51 pm

You could be my black Kate Moss tonight. I’ll get you a pole.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at March 28, 2008 at 2:33 pm

“If they’re directed by Sophia Coppola, yes.”
——–

I think that the glorification of gang culture within the hip-hop/rap world is disgusting, regardless of whom is directing the videos.

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at March 28, 2008 at 2:58 pm

Posted by: Karol at March 28, 2008 at 4:31 pm

Jim Varney made it cool to talk to invisible friends.
KnowwhatImean, Vern?

Posted by: E5 at March 28, 2008 at 4:36 pm

“Oh c’mon. Did Johnny Cash glorify prison culture? Did Eliot Smith make it cool to be depressed and suicidal? Rap gets an unfair share of criticism.”
——–
—–
Please tell me you’re kidding.
Hip-hop/rap don’t get enough criticism for their glorification of gang culture.

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at March 29, 2008 at 2:11 am

Bloody hell, I agree with Badboy!
Expecting better of Sophia Coppola? did you see her in Godfather 3? Stinkerooooo!

Posted by: bryan at March 29, 2008 at 7:02 am

Hip-hop/rap don’t get enough criticism for their glorification of gang culture.
Name another kind of music that gets Congressional hearings.
But she directed Virgin Suicides and Lost in Translation, two very good movies (I like the former a lot better than the latter, though). She wasn’t acting in this video, she was directing.

Posted by: Karol at March 29, 2008 at 10:41 am