February 26, 2008

Get him.

I think Abe Greenwald is questioning Barack Obama’s patriotism.

Posted by Karol at 11:11 AM |
Comments

I think this is a little thin gruel.
Fundamentally:
1.) Obama doesn’t think we’re great
2.) Obama doesn’t wear a flag lapel
3.) Obama isn’t ready to thump his chest and talk about how wonderful America has been to him at every opportunity.
Um, okay, by this same logic _I’m_ not a patriot. I don’t think Old Glory’s designed as an accessory, I think that America has started to show some fundamental flaws (especially among our political elites) and (while I’m sure Steff would disagree), I don’t take every opportunity to break out into God Bless America when someone from another country extols the virtue of their own nation.
Bottom Line: If Republicans are going to try and convince me to vote or not vote for someone because he’s allegedly not patriotic enough, then I wonder where all these “patriots” were in in 2000 when they chose a certain current Chief Executive over a man whose Vietnam record doesn’t need any explaining.

Posted by: James at February 26, 2008 at 11:40 am

I guess a black guy can’t be a patriot. Maybe you should also watch the movie Glory while you are at it.

Posted by: Joaquin Ochoa at February 26, 2008 at 4:23 pm

Or Tuskegee Airmen.

Posted by: James at February 26, 2008 at 4:39 pm

“Vietnam record doesn’t need explaining”? Hahahahaha. That’s a joke, right? Explain to me the Christmas in Cambodia part…

Posted by: Eric at February 27, 2008 at 11:40 am

Um, Eric, I know that it may be hard to remember back that far, but John “Cambodian (Sorta) Christmas” Kerry didn’t run in 2000. You know, the year that’s sorta prominent in my comment.
The individual I was referring to got to spend plenty of Christmases in Southeast Asia, but at a wonderful “hotel” a little north and east of Cambodia. Which I thought was sorta obvious from my comment but, pssst, I’m talking about John McCain.

Posted by: James at February 27, 2008 at 1:25 pm

Patriotism is the last resort of the scoundrel.
The Reps need a new tack, because this successful past strategy is wearing thin, and didn’t work when Pelosi and the gang were voted in.

Posted by: bryan at February 27, 2008 at 11:38 pm