February 25, 2008

So “hushed”, it’s in the New York Times

Hushed worry about Obama’s safety
Some voters invoke memories of the killings of King, Kennedy in 1968

Except that: “Gerald Posner , author of books on the assassinations of President Kennedy and Dr. King, said he did not believe that Mr. Obama was under a significantly higher risk than President Bush or Mrs. Clinton.”

What a powerful story about one man’s courage to take the exact same risks as everybody else.

Hat-tip James.

Comments

I don’t know if it’s post-9/11 fear, the notion that things are going too well, or some sort of hubris on the part of Obama’s supporters.

Posted by: Shawn at February 25, 2008 at 4:00 pm

What struck me about it was that the NYT almost seemed to be A. putting out a roadmap then B. facilitating said event.

Posted by: James at February 25, 2008 at 4:09 pm

I’m not sure why but it seems to be a fear older folks have.
My 78 year old Mother mentioned it over a month ago and can’t seem to let it go. I was around for Robert, Martin & John but I don’t see the connection.
Having said that my Mother isn’t alone so it is a legit story for the Grey Old Lady.

Posted by: Peregrine at February 25, 2008 at 8:35 pm

Our gal Karol is right.
See, great men throughout history have been assassinated…Lincoln, JFK, King.
Barack Obama IS the second coming, therefore, nefarious people MUST want to assassinate him !
Maybe Alec Baldwin will do him in.
Isn’t he the one who was on Conan O’Brien around the time of the Clinton impeachment when he said he wanted to murder Henry Hyde ?

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at February 25, 2008 at 11:47 pm

Anyone running for POTUS is-theoretically, at least-a potential target. The lunatic who shot George Wallace had planned to assassinate Richard Nixon-and I think Edmund Muskie, or some other presidential candidate-before his security detail dissuaded him from going that route.
The idea that Obama could possibly lose because of a backlash against the idea of a nonwhite POTUS is absurd though. I’m not a sociologist, but I tend to think that one or two million prospective voters who’re eager to see the first biracial occupant of the Oval Office outweigh the percentage of malcontents who are going to be appalled by the notion of an African-American president.
*shudder*

Posted by: Gerard at February 26, 2008 at 2:11 am

“I can just imagine the electoral shockwaves that several dozen members of the Aryan Brotherhood living in the few states where felons aren’t disenfranchised will produce in the eventuality of an Obama-led presidential ticket.”
Or, just anyone who might have unhinged hate toward those dirty Moose-lims….

Posted by: hashfanatic at February 26, 2008 at 3:37 am

This is more projection from the people on the left. Since they figure conservatives are all just reincarnations of Bull Connor, it makes sense someone would try to kill Obama.
Though if I were him I wouldn’t turn my back on Hillary.

Posted by: Eric at February 26, 2008 at 9:31 am

It could be anyone who has a demonstrated hatred of blacks, and/or a demonstrated hatred toward Muslims.

Posted by: hashfanatic at February 26, 2008 at 9:45 am

He’ll be fine as long as he doesn’t go hunting with Cheney.

Posted by: Peregrine at February 26, 2008 at 11:10 am

Though if I were him I wouldn’t turn my back on Hillary.
Or let her anywhere near my cat.

Posted by: Gerard at February 26, 2008 at 1:12 pm

Let’s see….
JFK was assassinated by a failed communist-insurgent.
RFK was assassinated by an Iranian anarchist-athiest.
Malcom X was assassinated by his own radical Nation of Islam fanatics.
MLK was assassinated by a rascist white idiot.
I’d say it’s about 3:1 odds that any assassination attempt against Obama would come from the Left, not the Right.

Posted by: Snoop Diggity-DANG-Dawg at February 26, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Obviously people who make jokes about this aren’t people of color. If so, you would know we are talking about a lot more killings and much more brutal than a bullet. Not even a funny topic and I love it how all you white folks make jokes about it.

Posted by: Joaquin ochoa at February 26, 2008 at 4:31 pm

I think “people of color” is a moronic term, especially in this case. Robert Kennedy, JFK, George Wallace and Ronald Reagan were, last I checked, white.

Posted by: Karol at February 26, 2008 at 5:55 pm

I think Sirhan Sirhan was “Palestinian,” FWIW. Although, I’m not obsessed with the Kennedy clan to the same degree as most people, so I could be mistaken.

Posted by: Gerard at February 26, 2008 at 7:11 pm

And isn’t white (more appropriately – flesh) a color too!
STOP THE COLOR DISENFRANCHISEMENT!!!!

Posted by: Radical Redneck at February 26, 2008 at 9:51 pm

Yeah, I think Sirhan squared was “Palestinian.”
I’m shocked that he did what he did. I’d heard that all “Palestinians” are peaceful.

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at February 26, 2008 at 11:32 pm

Joaquin,
Obviously you’ve never heard of “gallows humor.” More correctly, I can disprove your theory (that anyone joking about Obama or, for that matter, any prominent “person of color”’s assassination is not melanin enhanced themselves) in one simple step–by inserting the movie Head of State. That is, unless you’re going to convince me Chris Rock is not a “person of color.” If so, I can insert “Boondocks”…well, you get my point.
Of course, then again, most people joking about not turning their back on Hillary regardless of skin tone _are not joking_. It’s why an Obama-Clinton ticket is not going to happen–see parable about scorpion and frog to understand why.

Posted by: James at February 27, 2008 at 12:19 am

Joaqin,
“People of color” don’t have any lock on sad stories. In America, a lot more white politicians have fallen to the assassin’s bullet than “people of color”, whoever that is. Grow up.
Obama isn’t in any more danger than the other candidates. There are people who think he is, but that’s because they think people on the other side are like themselves. We’re not.

Posted by: Eric at February 27, 2008 at 7:50 am

I happen to be a “person of color”, but G-d damn you, don’t call me “colored”.
THAT would be offensive.