February 25, 2008

Art in NY

I’m not that into art but I’ve had this on my calendar for months: Gustave Courbet’s retrospective arrives at the Met this Wednesday until May 18. I love me some Gustave. The link calls him “the Damien Hirst of his day” because they both stirred up controversy. Sure, except Gustave was talented.

Compare, please.

Gustave Courbet:
Gustave Courbet

Damien Hirst (when I worked in the Chrysler Building, this painting hung in the mini gallery at the back of the building. I would always marvel that somewhere people are calling this art):

Damien Hirst

Comments

that “painting” always pissed me off. but this is the worst: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/08/31/2020127.htm
the name of the piece is pretty funny though.

Posted by: wza at February 25, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Hahaha, WZA! I remember us standing in front of that one for a long time every day. It wasn’t even your favorite bad one, what was the other one?

Posted by: Karol at February 25, 2008 at 1:06 pm

There’s a urinal on the wall at the Guggenheim. That crap is a veritable masterpiece by comparison.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at February 25, 2008 at 2:22 pm

I happen to like that Hirst piece. It’s colorful, structured, random, and open to interpretation. It can be whatever you want it to be. I probably wouldn’t buy a print to hang on my wall, but it’s certainly interesting to look at and can hold my attention for a while.

Posted by: Marco at February 25, 2008 at 3:02 pm

isn’t the 2nd one just sort of optical-illusiony where your eyes mess with you and you can sometimes not even see the light colored yellow and pink dots?
speaking of optical illusions, has anyone been able to locate the alleged “CN tower” thats somewhere in this pic:
I have yet to notice it.

Posted by: E5 at February 25, 2008 at 3:21 pm

i think it was the cruise ship on fire. i can’t remember it very well, but i recall it also had dead dogs in it.

Posted by: wza at February 25, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Yes! There was a dead dog and the ship was on fire. We’d argue over which was worse, that or the Hirst. I still say Hirst. At least they tried with the dead dog.

Posted by: Karol at February 25, 2008 at 5:29 pm

Damien Hirst…Blech!
At least the dots are relatively benign, which can’t be said of “Virgin Mother.”
The first time I saw that in the courtyard of Lever House I almost dry-heaved.
I thought it was a mold of some cyborg creature from a never-finished Terminator sequel.
Courbet is an entirely different category though.
My favorite,
Woman with Parrot

Posted by: Gerard at February 26, 2008 at 2:17 am

You should see some of the finger paintings I did as a 4 year old in nursery school.
I could have had an exhibition at any Museum of Contemporary Art.

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at February 26, 2008 at 3:16 am

Okay, I got a serious question. Does art (specifically painting) matter anymore? I mean, there was a time when art reflected social movements, or even helpted start them, you know, bare-breasted (why was she always topless?) liberty leading the charge on the Bastille or some such.
Pretty much what I see these days is a laugh and an eye roll. “You must be kidding me! Who would pay money for that?” So outside of speculators and hipsters trying to buy some hipster cred, is there anything to it?

Posted by: Eric at February 26, 2008 at 11:37 am

No, Eric it doesn’t.
And anyone who tells you otherwise has a stake in art. Either financial, or more likely intellectual. After all who wants to admit that one of their areas of expertise is simply useless? I can’t be the hipster who gets laid based on his knowledge of some irrelevant “art” if everyone finally realizes it’s simply a huge con to begin with.
“you’ve done nothing but studied swordplay for the last 20 years?!?!?!”

Posted by: E5 at February 26, 2008 at 12:47 pm

He should watch House. ;)
I think art matters, maybe painting to a lesser degree (although try looking at a Bert Monroy piece and tell me painting is dead). Music is still huge as is literature.
Without art, we’d be swallowing Soma.

Posted by: Shawn at February 26, 2008 at 2:12 pm