February 11, 2008

“Betting on Cuisine to Marginalize Crime”

Back in July, I wrote about a new French bistro opening up in my old neighborhood in Brooklyn. This was noteworthy because my neighborhood, though a million times better today than it was when I was a kid, is pretty rough. I got a lot of emails about that post, mostly from new arrivals to the ‘hood, saying I had it all wrong and that the place we affectionately referred to as “Newcrack Plaza” (real name: “Newkirk Plaza”) was completely gentrified now and very safe.

Well, the French bistro is set to open any day now but safe? Um, not so much.

Comments

I don’t know about “gentrified” yet but it is far better than it was back in the day, largely because of people moving in because of the proximity to the train station.
More than such a restaurant, I wish Newkirk or Church could get a nice, clean, decent-sized chain supermarket, like the Stop and Shop on Flatbush or even the Shop Rite in BP…

Posted by: hashfanatic at February 11, 2008 at 6:38 pm

Speaking of cuisine… FREE PANCAKES AT IHOP TODAY!!!!!:

Posted by: E5 at February 12, 2008 at 10:30 am

Oh yes, please bring a supermarket to the neighborhood! Oh wait, there’s a C-town on Coney.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at February 12, 2008 at 7:36 pm

It

Posted by: Peregrine at February 12, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Peregrine, wow, you feel the need to explain the “Shrub” nickname as if your unoriginal side hasn’t used that for the last 7 years. Let me guess, been on Foster for like 2 years now? It’s not about politics, dipshit, it’s about reality. Did you read the Times piece? Or are they rightwing too now? How do you not walk into walls?
And for the record, Bush has spent his entire presidency telling us Islam is a religion of peace. Nay too bright, eh?

Posted by: Karol at February 12, 2008 at 11:16 pm

Peregrine, in fairness to Karol, I am further to the left then Chairman Mao was, and I didn’t think she was trashing the neighborhood.
She was pointing out that conditions have improved markedly since the bad old days, but cautioning that the area might not be ready for double strollers and Barnes and Noble.
Sure, the bistro sounds great…better than another Vox Pop. But such a place needs frequent, repeat customers and reasonable pricing without sacrificing quality…can the area, as it is now, sustain it?
NDS, I had something like a Pathmark in mind, on a disused lot past Glenwood and the LIRR railroad cut, and actually floated the idea to Markowitz a few years ago (with predictable results), on the grounds that, if the one over on Albany cleans up, why not there? It’s an unmet need that no “co-op” can fill…

Posted by: hashfanatic at February 13, 2008 at 12:04 am

It’s about reality?
Let’s meet in the plaza and let’s go door to door, I want to see you tell each merchant they are contributing to a Bad Place!
And as for the “Shrub”, I was making sure you reality deniers understood it, he has clearly stated that his brand of Christianity is the only valid and “Holy” religion.
Since you have raised the rhetoric to the name calling level I look forward to commenting here.

Posted by: Peregrine at February 13, 2008 at 12:10 am

How about we meet in the plaza and we go door to door to all the people that have lived there for 20+ years and you tell them that the plaza is safe so they can laugh in your face?
And you didn’t answer how long you’ve been in the neighborhood. How come?
You came over from the Ditmas Park Blog where I said that no one would happier than I would if Newkirk was actually safe and cleaned up. It’s just not there yet. I don’t understand why newly arrived hipster doofuses like yourself take that so personally.
Also, since you’ve decided to drag the president into this, please provide where he “clearly stated that his brand of Christianity is the only valid and “Holy” religion.”

Posted by: Karol at February 13, 2008 at 10:01 am

Thanks, Hash, by the way. This has nothing to do with politics. The great majority of my childhood friends from Foster are liberals and they all laughed their heads off when they first heard about a bistro on Newkirk. Dollars to donuts, Peregrine is a very new arrival.

Posted by: Karol at February 13, 2008 at 10:08 am

“* The Shrub

Posted by: someone at February 13, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Perigrine is a name for a woman or a hobbit…(I’m told you’re niether)
I lived in that area (e7th & Ditmas)for over 5 years. The 5 years prior I was there all the time visiting a friend who lived in the same building. Karols post were 100% accurate and were not politically motivated. Go read the original post and then the one you commented on and tell me where she is trashing your hood?? What she is poking fun at is what we refer to as the “fake Brooklynites”. before 2004 this species was native to around or north of Prospect Park. The effects of global warming have made you now move down slightly further south. Now, that is all fine and good. In fact that is a part of the gentrification of which Karol is a big fan of.(see previous posts) What she is not a fan of is the ignorance that some of these lower rent seeking hipsters have. And whats worse these same IH’s(especially “truthers”) love to get up and attack people for no other reason than your views are different than mine.
So in sumation: We are all proud of you for getting out and meeting so many merchants in your first six months, but I don’t see why you should attack Karol about that. So what I propose is that you reread the posts apologize to Karol, and then I will apologize to you for painting you as an ignorant hipster lady hobbit.
The choice for peace is yours…
P.S. Your even missing out on the best shit go get some danish from John’s Bakery!

Posted by: M at February 13, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Perigrine is a name for a woman or a hobbit…(I’m told you’re niether)

Likely a falcon then.

Posted by: Shawn at February 13, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Damn you Karol damn you! Did you ever watch the Seinfeld episode where a restaurant opens up across the street from him but goes out of business when Seinfeld tries to help the restaurants owner? Well I don

Posted by: Ronnie AKA Foster Ave's finest at February 13, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Peregrine
Main Entry: per

Posted by: Peregrine at February 13, 2008 at 6:19 pm

Peregrine
Main Entry: peregrine falcon
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English faukon peregryn, from Medieval Latin falco peregrinus, literally, pilgrim falcon; from the young being captured wandering from their nests, which were too inaccessible to reach easily
Date: 14th century : a swift nearly cosmopolitan falcon (Falco peregrinus) often used in falconry

Posted by: Peregrine at February 13, 2008 at 6:22 pm

Of course the company here would deny any funds to save a species.

Bzzzzzt.
The Irish Fest is around the corner here in Big D. There’s usually a group that comes out with a number of birds of prey and they have a donation box, which I put a buck or two in. It’s not a lot, sure, but you did say “any”.

Posted by: Shawn at February 13, 2008 at 7:03 pm

Dear wandering falcon hobbit guy with spell check,
Use your Dicktionary and look up Irony.(french cusine, crack stabbings) Have you been obnoxious to the New York Times today at all today?? Cause while your spelling is “gold star!” your reading is U for unsatisfactory. The times seemed to be echoing the same sentiment as karol. No barbs for them, maybe call them conifers???
Level with us hawkeye… Why so angry? You speak of reality and when people discuss it you get mad.
You are really cool for living in a nEIborhood that will be park slope soon, but your kind of a prick for being so agitated about it. How long have you really lived there by the way? Do you not like people that have different opinions than you? It was you who started the name calling, and when your moniker is Perigrine thats just ridiculous. So say your sorry dude, and enjoy the foi gra. Remember its never to late to change your prickish ways.
P.S. Look up Prickish, I’m not sure if its a word?…

Posted by: M at February 13, 2008 at 11:04 pm

I really want the restaurant to succeed as well, but let’s be realistic. We’re talking about crime here, and I can totally envision patrons of that restaurant walking out, all wined up, totally preyed upon, because the rest of the neighborhood knows that’s where the easy marks are, particularly the Slope types.

Posted by: hashfanatic at February 13, 2008 at 11:43 pm

Merely saying “the neighborhood is dangerous” does *not* mean she opposes free enterprise. Advocating the free market does not require that you support or champion every business trying to succeed.
If Karol were really opposing free enterprise, she’d be calling for government to shut it down. She’s only pointing out drawbacks without preventing people from going there. The owners still have the right to stay open; customers still have the right to go there.

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at February 14, 2008 at 4:12 pm

Perry wrote
“So, how is Karol denying the store owners their right to maintain their business?”
Interesting that he would characterize the Shrubette as

Posted by: Peregrine at February 14, 2008 at 6:23 pm

I do hope that you’re saving a pound of vitriol for the New York Times, the publication that ran the story with full color photos in the first place.

Posted by: Shawn at February 14, 2008 at 7:22 pm

[...] the plaza (Newkirk Plaza, nicknamed New Crack Plaza back then) containing the subway station was scary because my grandmother clutched my hand, and her bag, extra hard as we walked by [...]

Posted by: Ode to Brooklyn at July 20, 2011 at 12:08 pm