December 20, 2007

Over/under on Mitt’s Tancredo bump?

Tancredo drops out of race, endorses Romney.

Comments

1 1/2 points. Tancredo was a marginal candidate, but maybe it slightly adds to Mitt’s credibility with enforcement-first folks on immigration.

Posted by: bobm at December 20, 2007 at 6:50 pm

I’ve posted this at more than just this blog, but I definitely do not work for Romney’s campaign. I want some conservatives, who I feel haven’t given Mitt a fair shake thus far, to seriously reconsider their positions. Romney is clearly now the anti-illegal immigration candidate. What candidate can win the support of ALL conservatives…fiscal, defense, AND social? Mitt’s the man!

Posted by: Cory at December 20, 2007 at 9:08 pm

I don’t know.
I don’t see how Thompson is that much weaker than Romney on this issue, with the exception of his ill-advised infatuation with Spencer Abraham.
That’s supposedly a deal-breaker for Debbie Schlussel-and I can definitely see her point-but I don’t think other conservatives necessarily feel the same way, especially if Thompson keeps up his rhetoric on this subject.
Romney is probably better than him on immigration, but not significantly so.

Posted by: Gerard at December 21, 2007 at 5:05 am

1 point at most. Tancredo found out that there is only one spot for an insurgent in this GOP field and that is Paul. I think Tancredo needed a lot more fire in the belly than he showed this year. While I don’t think anybody expected him to win, I think Tancredo was kind of expected to at least influence the race to some extent and I don’t think he has done that. Me, I’m just glad my boy Duncan Hunter has now outlasted Tancredo, Tommy Thompson and Gillmore. Having said that, I bet we’ll be next up on the chopping block.
As for Mitt, well he is good on immigration now. How soon till he changes his position? This is Mitt after all. While I have no love for the Huckster, I think a lot of the Beltway/Manhattan GOP types may be misreading a lot of his appeal which is he is not an outsider to heartland America. Mitt, Rudy, Thompson and even McCain are.

Posted by: Von Bek at December 21, 2007 at 6:31 am

How did he not influence this race?
Giuliani and Romney are competing to see who can outdo each other on the issue of illegal immigration-even if it’s mostly rhetorical on Rudy’s part-and even John McCain was forced to back down on his support for amnesty.
I also don’t get the reluctance to accept Mitt Romney on this issue. Let’s say that his position on illegal immigration is completely insincere, is it preferable to have a candidate who blatantly defies the will of the public out of so-called principle?
I would much rather support Romney , insincere but right, on this subject than another candidate who supports amnesty, i.e. Giuliani and/or McCain, or is an uncompensated agent for the government of Mexico, i.e. Huckaboob.

Posted by: Gerard at December 21, 2007 at 4:03 pm

I guess I see Mitt’s and Rudy’s coming round on immigration as the result of common sense and not Tom T. GOP primary voters are simply not as leftist as the populations of the God forsaken ancient commonwealth of Massachusetts or Sodom on the Hudson. If they wanted a chance to win, they had to tilt right, whether or not Tancredo was in the field.
I think the problem with insecerity and Mitt goes a lot deeper. I think the man simply says what the voters want to hear. The people of Mass are for abortion and sodomy marriage? Then so is Mitt. The people of Iowa and New Hampshire are for life and traditional marriage? He was for abortion before he was against it (where have we heard that before…must be something in the water in Boston). Then so is Mitt. It shows a problem at the core. Kind of like a conservative giving us the biggest federal spending since LBJ and trying to name Harriet Miers to join the Nazgul, our nine feared masters in black robes. Look, bending which way popular opinion blows is not leadership. So while I think Romney is better than Rudy and McCain, I don’t think he has many core values. Which means we could be seeing polls on where President Mitt vacations ala Clinton did (not that I think Mitt has any chance at the White House if he gets the nod).

Posted by: Von Bek at December 22, 2007 at 5:59 am

If Tancredo had not been part of the equation they would have not made any concession to common sense-even with Tancredo in the mix Huckaboob continued his obstinancy on this issue.
The moderators at these debates wouldn’t have pressed them on the issue of illegal aliens and our sieve-like border-if they were asked about the subject at all-and it could have been safely papered over by the leading candidates.
One of the reasons Romney has hammered on this issue is because he recognized its importance, in no small measure because he was sitting on the same stage as Tancredo. Even the delusional, latte-sipping twits at WaPO and the Old Gray Heifer have repeatedly acknowledged-and bemoaned-Tancredo’s impact upon the rest of the GOP field.

Posted by: Gerard at December 24, 2007 at 10:43 am