November 30, 2007

Not so random thought

I don’t mind there being a Spanish option when I call places like the DMV or the Passport Agency, but I don’t like the “press one to continue in English” option. English should be the default, the one where you don’t have to press anything at all.

Comments

and just have a set period of time where if 1 isn’t pressed it defaults to engilsh?
that would annoy me as the default period of time would probably be way too long.
in fact, the default might be english… have you ever tried not pressing 1 or 2 and just seeing what happens?
wow… I can’t believe I wrote such a long comment on this topic.

Posted by: E5 at November 30, 2007 at 4:59 pm

Well, why not “press 2 for Spanish” said in Spanish? “Something something Espanol marke dos”. I’ve heard it on other systems. I’m just saying, I shouldn’t have to be pressing anything for English.

Posted by: Karol at November 30, 2007 at 5:13 pm

I can sympathize with this guy:
Taking matters into your own hands.

Posted by: Gerard at November 30, 2007 at 5:26 pm

Whoa, I definitely disagree with you there Karol. Ultimately we’re splitting hairs here, but I want English as the first option so I can push the button and quickly get where I am going rather than listen to the other options. I get you point as English being the default option, but making it #1 means I don’t have to wait and listen to “press 2 for Spanish”, “3 for German”, “4 for French”, “5 for Liberal” and so on before getting to my English default option.
I’m with you in principle but not application.

Posted by: Kevin Patrick at November 30, 2007 at 8:58 pm

Have an end to argument.
Why not ENGLISH ONLY??

Posted by: hashfanatic at December 1, 2007 at 7:53 am

“Why not ENGLISH ONLY??”
because… and I’m just speculating here, as I am not in charge of these companies…
but my guess is that having English only would probably cost them business from people who don’t speak English.
Again… this is an uninformed opinion.. but I’m just thinking if I spoke Spanish way better than I spoke English and I were otherwise undecided about the pros between, say, Sprint and Verizon, the fact that one, but not both, offered me the option to deal with their automated system in my native language may sway my decision.
WTF!?!?
you really needed that dumbed down for you?

Posted by: E5 at December 1, 2007 at 1:48 pm

That and as my former sociology teacher found out, she could get a problem with her phone service solved by contacting the Spanish folks (she tried the English support first but couldn’t reach them).

Posted by: Shawn at December 1, 2007 at 2:49 pm

“…but my guess is that having English only would probably cost them business from people who don’t speak English…”
No, but your attitude beautifully illustrates why neocon policy and NOT any mythical “Islamofascists” are what is destroying MY English-speaking American culture (as if anyone on my side of the aisle hadn’t thoroughly internalized that truth yet…)

Posted by: hashfanatic at December 1, 2007 at 4:55 pm

1) What was your “no in response to? Are you really disagreeing and putting forth the argument that if someone speaks NO English, they will still give business to a company with which they cannot communicate at all, even if other options are available!?!? Can you elaborate on this at all?
Or was the “no” to something else – if so, what were you referring to?
2) I’m a neo con now? Furthermore, even if I were, any action I take, no matter how stupid or illogical, will be used by you as “evidence” against ALL neocons?!?!!?
3) When did I ever put forth the argument that “English-speaking” is a desirable quality for any culture or country?

Posted by: E5 at December 1, 2007 at 5:40 pm

This is America, E5 (despite rumors to the contrary).

Posted by: hashfanatic at December 1, 2007 at 11:29 pm

[i][quote]No, but your attitude beautifully illustrates why neocon policy and NOT any mythical “Islamofascists” are what is destroying MY English-speaking American culture[/quote][/i]
So now it’s the neocons (IOW, the joooooooooooooooooooos) who are responsible for every non-English speaking grunt of life who oozes in here to collect welfare. Nothing at all to do with the two-bit leftist demagouges who open the treasury to them.

Posted by: Radical Redneck at December 2, 2007 at 11:25 am

“So now it’s the neocons (IOW, the joooooooooooooooooooos) who are responsible for every non-English speaking grunt of life who oozes in here to collect welfare.”
So, Raddy boy, is this your way of reminding everyone on the planet that all criticism of Jews is general, and all criticism of Israel in particular, is strictly forbidden?
Are you saying that, during the formation of the neoconservative movement, there were absolutely no Jews involved?
*chortle*
All of the two-bit leftist demogogues I run with don’t happen to be in charge of the treasury, and, unfortunately for your weak premise, never were.
If anything, the neocons (and if that includes you, so be it) imported the vast majority of illegal aliens in by insuring the borders were kept open and unguarded, by executive order, for purposes of cheap labor, and, increasingly, fodder for war.
Are there neoconservatives who, as the persecuted paleoconservative traditionalists do, deplore this neoconservative policy? Of course…
Is it more likely that a average neocon, selected at random, would have deep reservations about open borders and free trade, perhaps even find it reprehensible, yet grit their teeth and remain silent about it because these are policies sanctioned directly by the central neocon power structure, and succumbing to the pressure and blaming those pesky liberals is politically and financially more advantageous in the interim?
Hell, yeah.
“While I applaud your desire to keep America English-speaking only, you still are as misguided as ever.”
Thank you, but I’m not fooled.
America needs to be English-only, because this society is already way too diverse. It is not a given that LEGAL immigrants will assimilate into American society, because most of the new immigrants do not learn English, cannot be forced to learn English, and we are spending a small fortune for ESL programs that do not work when what is needed is IMMERSION, where no other language is used as a facilitator for English.
America needs the English language as a common unifier or the American identity will wither and the nation will die.

Posted by: hashfanatic at December 2, 2007 at 10:43 pm

i asked 3 specific, non-rhetorical question and I get back a:
“This is America, E5 (despite rumors to the contrary).”
which doesn’t answer any of them.
Please reconsider dodging them and actually answer my questions. No matter how rhetorical or patronizing you may find them, I ensure you they were sincerely asked and your answers could greatly help me understand your positions.

Posted by: E5 at December 3, 2007 at 3:27 pm

You know what I love? I love that two people who use neo-con as a slur are arguing with each other. Awesome.

Posted by: Karol at December 3, 2007 at 3:33 pm