November 27, 2007

“The time has come”

If you say so, Mr. Olmert.

We want peace. We demand an end to terror, an end to incitement and to hatred.

We are prepared to make a painful compromise, rife with risks, in order to realize these aspirations.

I came here today not in order to settle historical accounts between us and you about what caused the confrontations and the hatred, and what for many years has prevented a compromise, a settlement of peace.

I just hope this painful compromise isn’t only on the Israeli side.

Comments

So, with a whimper, Israel died.

Posted by: James at November 27, 2007 at 3:09 pm

We are tired of fighting. We are tired of being courageous. We are tired of winning. We are tired of defeating our enemies.
Is it live, or is it Memorex?

Posted by: Gerard at November 27, 2007 at 3:16 pm

“a settlement of peace.”
Ha.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at November 27, 2007 at 3:59 pm

That’s the bummer with trying to work towards peace. You have to give a little.
Here’s hoping the Palestinians understand that as well.

Posted by: Shawn at November 27, 2007 at 5:34 pm

Here’s hoping the Palestinians understand that as well.
LOLerskates.

Posted by: Gerard at November 27, 2007 at 7:50 pm

Olmert knows he has to say that to keep in America’s good graces. Abbas will say something very similar.
In the end, though, it’s all just talk aimed at keeping the dollars flowing from Washington. Facts on the ground will not change, but it will allow Bush to claim one of those “historic” agreements named after a city.

Posted by: Eric at November 27, 2007 at 9:46 pm

Let’s hope, for Israel’s sake, it’s not one in Carthage.

Posted by: Gerard at November 27, 2007 at 11:58 pm

All the Hamas-run mosques in Gaza are decrying the conference as anathema to Islam. As per.

Posted by: Aubrey at November 28, 2007 at 1:50 am

Shawn wrote;
“That’s the bummer with trying to work towards peace. You have to give a little.
Here’s hoping the Palestinians understand that as well.”
——–
—-
Bro, the so-called Palestinians ‘hope’ to destroy Israel—haven’t you paid attention to anything they’ve said (and done !) during the past 60 years ?

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at November 28, 2007 at 2:28 am

I’m with BadBoy–you can’t negotiate with someone who blames you for everything wrong in their world, believes you are living on the land that they rightfully own, and wants you dead. Not moved. Dead.

Posted by: James at November 28, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Bro, the so-called Palestinians ‘hope’ to destroy Israel—haven’t you paid attention to anything they’ve said (and done !) during the past 60 years?

Well, Arafat is dead. Hamas and Fatah are at odds and the Palestinians are being forced to choose sides. I think this presents an opportunity for Abbas to try coming to terms with the Israelis who, let’s face it, could take Palestinian-controlled lands tomorrow if they wanted.
And even the Israelis have to be getting tired of this never ending conflict. Someone has to be the first to extend the olive branch. Might as well be Olmert.
Yeah, there’s a lot of bad blood, but these folks can’t be slaves to history forever.

Posted by: Shawn at November 28, 2007 at 2:27 pm

I think the Israelis _are_ tired…and I think that’s what is going to get a large number of them dead.
Put another way–I don’t see the generation that lived through the Holocaust and the initial ‘48 War allowing Ahmandijihad get away with threatening another slaughter while accelerating the nuke program. I also don’t see them letting Hizbollah continue to punk them in Southern Lebanon. Finally, Baby Assad would’ve gotten an early Ramadan gift given his actions in all of this, nevermind just having his nuclear facility blown off the (Google) Earth.
Just sayin’, if you live in a tough neighborhood where everyone hates you, you can’t give the impression that you’re tired of fighting or else you’re going to get mugged. Repeatedly. Abbah is the guy who had his followers getting dwarf-tossed off high rises–he’s hardly speaking from a position of authority. Hamas wants every single Jew’s blood turning the Med red with blood. If your options for negotiation are a weak bastard and a dangerous one, you have no options for negotiation. Better to accept that and act accordingly then continue to play Charlie Brown to the Palestinians’ Lucy.

Posted by: James at November 28, 2007 at 3:06 pm

Oh yeah, definitely. I’m not down with the whole “swords to ploughshares” thing. But I do think this is probably the best chance for peace and a little humility on Olmert’s part might just be the catalyst.

Posted by: Shawn at November 28, 2007 at 4:25 pm

Shawn wrote,
“Someone has to be the first to extend the olive branch. Might as well be Olmert.”
——–
—-
Dude, did you just ride in on the turnip truck ?
“Someone” has to be the first to extend the olive branch ???
The Israelis have extended more branches than are in the Allegheny forest.
Like I asked earlier, have you not been paying attention to any of the history of the past 60 years ?
…ok, how about, of the past year ?

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at November 29, 2007 at 2:55 am

The Israelis have extended more branches than are in the Allegheny forest.

Did they extend them to someone who was willing to listen or to appreciate what was behind such a gesture?

Like I asked earlier, have you not been paying attention to any of the history of the past 60 years?

And like I said, they can’t be slaves to history forever.

…ok, how about, of the past year?

The Hamas/Fatah struggles? It’s one of the reasons I’m cautiously optimistic.

Posted by: Shawn at November 29, 2007 at 9:36 am

Shawn,
I think you answered my questions;
1) you DID just ride in on the turnip truck, and 2) you haven’t been paying attention to the past 60 years, nor even to the past year.
Hamas/Fatah don’t want peace with Israel—they want Israel dead.

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at November 29, 2007 at 1:33 pm

You cannot negotiate with someone who wants you dead. Your choices are resist…or die.

Posted by: James at November 29, 2007 at 5:53 pm

What a lovely Friday morning it is:

1) you DID just ride in on the turnip truck

I once had seasoned turnip greens. Quite good actually, though I think it’s more of a Southern thing.

2) you haven’t been paying attention to the past 60 years

Well, I’ve only been around for 30. If I’m going to study events that happened prior to my lifetime, they had better take place between 1861-1865 or 1763-1787.

nor even to the past year.

So wait, there was no Palestinian civil war?

Hamas/Fatah don’t want peace with Israel—they want Israel dead.

Fatah is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they want to ensure their survival, they’ll have to someone. The trick is convincing the more moderate Palestinians that peace with Israel is possible. Can it be done? I hope so.

Posted by: Shawn at November 30, 2007 at 9:43 am