September 30, 2007

Audience Participation

Nothing makes me feel more feminine than cooking.

Which is a problem since I don’t really know how to cook.

My mission for the Fall is to learn, though. I’m planning to take a class or two in the next few weeks.

I spent my Sunday making one of the few dishes I know how, my world-famous vegetarian chili. I, of course, took pictures of the whole thing.

And it was good:

Final product

So here’s where the title of this post comes into play: I’m soliciting easy recipes. I recognize that there’s a whole world wide web out there where I can seek these out but I trust that my commenters can do better than anything I’ll find.

Comments

Easy recipes for what? Appetizers, desserts, main dishes? Soups, game, beef, dairy, dishes with eggs/mushrooms/vegetables? Tortes, pizzas, rolls? Technical advice on braising, grilling, sauteing, deep-frying?
OK, here’s one – even a man can do it!

Posted by: Tatyana at September 30, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Anything. We’re starting from scratch here.

Posted by: Karol at September 30, 2007 at 7:46 pm

I guess whatever your favorite easy dish to make might be.

Posted by: Karol at September 30, 2007 at 7:47 pm

Funny…cooking makes me feel manly…
Try this easy meal:
Black bean and Artichoke Burritos
Ingredients:
1 15 ounce can black beans, drained, rinsed
1 tablespoon veg oil
1 10 ounce can artichoke hearts,drained, sliced
1 med yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, crushed
8 whole-wheat (flour) tortillas
2 cups shredded sharp (or seriously sharp) cheddar cheese
1 large red tomato, diced
I can yellow corn, or frozen corn
3 chicken breasts
Refried beans as a side dish
Pour beans into a large skillet and bring to a boil. Cook at a hard simmer until they become pasty.
Heat oil in a separate skillet over med heat. Stir in chicken first. After chicken has browned then add artichoke hearts, onion , corn and garlic. Cook until the artichokes are golden brown. Do not over cook.
Open Refried beans and place in pan. Heat slowly. Add salsa for a kick!
Heat tortillas in microwave or skillet (preferred).
Spoon beans and artichoke mixture onto each tortilla, top with cheese and tomato.

Posted by: Butch at September 30, 2007 at 8:06 pm

Well, you already know how to cut, and you know that cooked ingredients come AFTER raw ones – in the cooked dishes. That’s good.
Start with salads. You don’t have to cook it, you can change one ingredient and the taste will change, you can experiment with dressings (self-made, of course).
A very, very basic one:
3 ripe beef tomatoes, 2 baby Mozzarella, 1 yellow pepper, 1 green. 3 cloves of garlic, 3-4 stems of regular parsley (or 5-6 of curly Italian parsley), salt, freshly milled black pepper, light olive oil, juice from 1/2 lemon.
Cut tomatoes in half, then slice. Slice baby Mozzarella, with a sharp knife (warmed under hot water and wiped). Cut peppers in half length-wise, clean out of guts, slice perpendicular pieces.
In a wide-mouth cap, whisk olive oil, lemon juice until emulsified. Add chopped parsley, crushed and chopped garlic, salt and pepper.
Place on a dinner plate, in layers, tomatoes, Mozzarella and peppers. Sprinkle each intermediate layer with dressing. End with some saved chopped parsley.
You can vary your dressing – add a bit of russian mustard and brown sugar, for ex, or a bit of finely sliced jalopeno and honey, etc. Or play with ingredients (remove peppers, add boiled egg. Or grilled eggplant).
Serve with fresh Italian or French bagette.
very simple.

Posted by: Tatyana at September 30, 2007 at 8:17 pm

Check out Food Network’s site. When my brother and I were pressed into potato salad duty, we got a pretty good recipe from there.
I just need to remember the recipe for those ginger beef hoagies I used to do.

Posted by: Shawn at September 30, 2007 at 8:30 pm

Here’s one of my favorites.

Posted by: Anwyn at September 30, 2007 at 8:38 pm

Alarming News: Easy Recipe Submission

Karol is requesting easy to prepare recipes.
My submission:
Black bean and Artichoke Burritos

Posted by: 123beta at September 30, 2007 at 8:48 pm

all recipes lose me once fractions come into play. here’s an easy one that I like though, get in car, drive to ave j, wait an hour, eat difara’s.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at September 30, 2007 at 8:55 pm

That’s the doesn’t-make-me-feel-feminine method, Dawn.

Posted by: Karol at September 30, 2007 at 9:04 pm

The quickest, easiest recipe I know is mexican cheese sandwiches (quesadillas).
1 Heat a large frying pan (cast iron or weighty teflon-coate) to medium high heat. Add a little oil and spread it with a spatula.
2. Put a large torilla in the pan. Flip the tortilla over a few times to heat both sides, then sprinkle a handful of grated cheese (monterey jack, cheddar or mexican cheese mix work best). You can also add other stuff like green onions, sliced mushrooms, olives, tomatoes, chopped spinach or cooked chicken.
3. When the cheese starts to melt, fold the tortilla over, trying to avoid getting the filling on the pan. Turn the heat to low, flip the folded tortilla over and cook till both sides are lightly browned.
To make a quick salsa, chop up 1 green onion, 1 jalepeno, then add a chopped tomato. Use a big cutting board so you can chop them all together into small enough pieces without stuff falling off. Then add salt and the juice of 1 lime or (bottled lime juice) to taste.
Serve with guacamole (peel then mash an avacado with a fork, mixed with a little roasted garlic powder and lime juice), sour cream, refried beans and some chopped lettuce.
::::::
If that’s too much mexican food, here’s a recipe I found for greek chicken and potatoes that’s sort of like my greek chicken recipe, with less preparation time:
3 1/4 – 3 3/4 pound chicken, cut into quarters
3 1/2 pounds of potatoes
juice from 2-3 medium lemons
2 teaspoons of salt
1 heaping tablespoon of oregano
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
8 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup of olive oil
1 1/2 cups of water
PREPARATION:
Preheat oven to 355F (180C).
Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters, lengthwise. Salt and pepper the chicken and potatoes. Transfer chicken to a roasting pan, and add potatoes, on and around the chicken.
Add oregano, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice, distributing evenly across the pan. Add water and bake at 355F (180C) for a total of 1 hour and 40 minutes. Half way through (50 minutes), turn the chicken.
Note: Toward the end of cooking, check to make sure there is still a little water in the pan. If needed, add 1/4 to 1/2 cup
For 4 people.
:::::::::::::
Basic rule of cooking – most meats and veggies taste better fried in olive oil (or butter) garlic and spices. Most mistakes can be covered up with a gravy and a nice wine.

Posted by: mary at October 1, 2007 at 8:58 am

Since none of your so called friends will be honest with you, I will: It looks like a bad case of diarrhea.

Posted by: anon at October 1, 2007 at 12:03 pm

For the best tomato sauce you need:
1 or 2 cloves garlic
1 small dried chilli
teaspoon oregano
4 x 400g tins of peeled plum tomatoes
extra virgin olive oil
1 table spoon red wine vinegar
handfull of fresh basil
chop up the garlic and chili and fry in 1 tablespoon of olive oil with 1 teaspoon of oregano for about 5 min. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
Add the tomatoes and simmer for 1 hour. Be careful you don’t break up the tomatoes or the sauce will become bitter. If this does happen add a bit of sugar.
After 1 hour roughly mash up the tomatoes.
Add a tablespoon of red wine vinigar and a large glug of olive oil.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Roughly chop the basil and add just before serving.
Add sauce to your favorite pasta or any thing else you want.
This makes heaps of sauce so just keep the rest in the fridge for up to a week (maybe 2).
My best cooking tip is to get a bit drunk before you start cooking and continue drinking through out.

Posted by: Graeme at October 1, 2007 at 12:41 pm

I suggest Every day food by Martha stewart. It’s got great simple recipes that taste yummy!
BTW, Anon, your mean. It looks great!

Posted by: Lisa at October 1, 2007 at 12:43 pm

What can I tell you, that’s what chili looks like.
And it’s ok, Lisa, he’s going through a tough break-up.
Thanks so much for the recipes, everyone. When I try them, I’ll take pictures and let you know.

Posted by: Karol at October 1, 2007 at 1:00 pm

What’s the point of vegetarian chili?

Posted by: FunkyPundit at October 1, 2007 at 1:30 pm

World-famous? Vegetarian Chili? Surely, you jest. I think we all know who’s got the world-famous chili around these parts. (But yall ain’t gettin my recipe)
You running a hippie commune here, Karol. I don’t see meat in a single frickin recipe listed here.
Here’s what you do. Get a steak. About an inch thick. Rub it down with some salt and pepper. Stick it in the frickin broiler at about three minutes on each side. Take it out and apply a pat of butter to each side and let sit for a minute. Eat. (Also, chucking it in a bag for ten minutes with equal part Worchestershire and soy sauce works, too.)
Here’s a great dip. One block of Velvetta. One and a half cans of Rotel diced tomatoes and chilis. Chuck in a bowl. Chuck that bowl in the microwave and heat until melted. Eat with tortilla chips. MMMMM-mmm. White trash heaven.
I also have the best recipe ever for pirogies (which I don’t know how to spell)… I’ll have to dig that one up for ya.

Posted by: Ken at October 1, 2007 at 1:30 pm

An piece of meat an INCH thick, huh?
Karol, I need to get you to visit, for a quick cooking lesson: Meat and How Not Ruin It.

Posted by: Tatyana at October 1, 2007 at 3:08 pm

roast chicken is the simplest thing to make and you will have leftovers for the entire week.
buy some chicken. wash it throw it in a roasting pan with potatoes, carrots, onions, chopped garlic, and any other veggies you like (root veggies work best). pour some olive oil and blend with your hands. season with salt, pepper and rosemary. set oven to 350 for about an hour. a waft of rosemary will permeate your apartment. the neighbors will come a-knockin’.

Posted by: pn at October 1, 2007 at 3:59 pm

My go to dish, in that it is quick and easy, is Shepherd’s pie. It’s the same as cottage pie, except one has minced lamb in and the other minced beef. Are you a vegetarian Karol? The Quorn version is usually awful. You must’ve had this dish when you were in the UK, big bowl, cooked meat, seasoning and veg covered in loads of mashed potato browned in the oven. As bad as british cooking is, the best thing they do is bowl-based sharing food.

Posted by: bryan at October 1, 2007 at 8:12 pm

Speaking of whitetrash heaven, (or kid heaven, which is the same thing minus the beer), here’s a crowd-pleasing dessert -
Buy a package of Duncan Hines devils food cake – bake in a one-layer pan following the directions
let the cake cool, then (in a mixer) whip up a frosting using 1 can of homestyle vanilla frosting mixed with most of a 7 1/2oz jar of Marshmallow Fluff. Add more Fluff for extra fluffiness.
Decorate with jimmies or M&M’s, drizzle with gel frosting or nestle’s quik (strawberry or chocolate) or sprinkle with reeses pieces. Or throw it all on. The objective is to have more frosting and stuff than cake.

Posted by: mary at October 1, 2007 at 9:11 pm

The simplest cooking is, as PN suggests, in the oven. It’s almost criminally easy and good.
Other favorite simple recipes involve whole fish or pork, and I don’t know if you can fillet, keep kosher, or what.

Posted by: someone at October 2, 2007 at 12:04 am

bryan,
If you add bisto instant onion gravy to the Quorn mince it makes it really good. just add about 3 teaspoons near the end before you season it. I use this all the time in cottage pies and chilli. It makes pretty good Bobotti, kind of a South African cottage pie. Real Eat veggie mince is much better though but still add the gravy.

Posted by: Graeme at October 2, 2007 at 2:44 am

Made this yesterday: Taco soup
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
2 cans kidney beans (have substituted other beans)
1 pound ground beef (have subsituted other meats
and even veggie crumbles)
3 cups water
1 packet taco seasoning.
1 medium onion chopped
In a medium sized pot:
Brown the meat, drain and return to pot.
Add onion and cook for 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients, stir well and simmer
for 10-15 minutes.

Posted by: Dave at October 2, 2007 at 10:45 am

Graeme, that worked fine. My usual trick when eating quorn is to add Oxo cubes, which rather defeats the point…

Posted by: bryan at October 2, 2007 at 7:58 pm