September 28, 2007

Mad Men Watercooler

“The city is everything.”- Joan Holloway

I liked Joanie right away but was sort of afraid she’d be a caricature–the typical bitchy office slut. She’s turned out to be so much smarter, more interesting and generally just classier than I first imagined. I also love the fact that a redhead is the hottest woman on the show.

That said, my goal in life is to be like Betty Draper–minus the philandering husband, hot and moneyed though he may be. Could she be more perfect?

“Remember, Don. When G-d closes a door, he opens a dress.”-Roger Sterling.

Was I the only one thinking “please don’t let the twins kiss, please don’t let the twins kiss, please don’t let the twins kiss”? And then “please make the roommate stop talking, please make the roommate stop talking, please make the roommate stop talking.”

I’m not sure what to make of the new Jewish chick. What’s her point? She can’t just be someone Don has on the side, he’s already got a Jewish mistress. And he can’t possibly leave perfect Betty for…anyone. So, what’s the deal.

Leave me comments, fellow Mad Men watchers. I need to discuss.

Comments

I’ve been watching the show since the beginning based on a friend’s suggestion. It really took me a while to get into it though. I like the show, but I have trouble following it… at this point, I don’t even know most of the characters’ names. I think I’m going to need to find some free time to go back through and watch them again.

Posted by: BlameCandida at September 29, 2007 at 12:02 am

Go to itunes and download… that’s what I did. Also, that’s not a new jewish chick. She was the same girl from the pilot. they’ve been torturing each other for weeks!

Posted by: Monique R at September 29, 2007 at 1:39 am

She was the same girl from the pilot.
The first 4 episodes aren’t available On Demand and so I haven’t seen them.

Posted by: Karol at September 29, 2007 at 2:39 am

I don’t even know most of the characters’ names.
Check out the AMC website: http://www.amctv.com/originals/madmen/cast/
IMDB has Joan and Betty both aged 29. Is that just when people in Hollywood stop counting? Although, they both look younger than that. I thought Betty was maybe 24.

Posted by: Karol at September 29, 2007 at 10:43 am

I love Joan, a lot, but Betty Draper’s life is not one I want.
Rachel is fantastic. If you haven’t seen her other episodes, its worth tracking them down. Their story arc has been really hot. Also, in the first episodes, you see a bit more about exactly how mysterious Don is about his past, so you can get more perspective on that, too.
I watched a behind the scenes feature that was really good, talking about how we’re still the same people as in the show; we’ve just gotten more polite (in regards to sexism and racism). And that they picked this specific year (1960) because it’s such an indulgent time. The characters in the show are great, but I love watching 1960 as a character in the show — not wearing seatbelts, drinking all day, slapping their kids around, sexual harassment, the election.
The behind the scenes thing hit home that it’s by Sopranos producers, so it starts to make sense that this show is as intentional as it is, because that’s something a lot of people liked about Sopranos — attention to detail.
And, I read that Jon Hamm is in a long term relationship with Jennifer Westfeldt (Kissing Jessica Stein), and that made me love him more. :)

Posted by: Caryn at September 30, 2007 at 8:35 am

Betty Draper’s life is not one I want.
Oh, definitely. I just love her. Everything she says and does is just perfect.

Posted by: Karol at September 30, 2007 at 11:50 am

I’m working at home today and rewatching some Mad Men. This show kills me. In an early episode, a daughter has been playing with a plastic bag over her head. Her mother calls her, and when you think she’s about to chastise her for playing with a plastic bag over her head, the mother asks her about something completely different. The ideas about safety are so interesting — things people/parents worry about today are so different. Is the world so different? Are we different? Where is this difference coming from? That episode also had a remark about how the new divorcee in the neighborhood will bring down property values.

Posted by: Caryn at October 1, 2007 at 3:11 pm

Mad Men is clearly the best show on TV right now. As for Don’s other mistress, I think that they were finished the moment she chose not to go Paris and he gave her his bonus check.
As for Betty Draper, I’m kinda shocked that’s your ideal. She seems pretty miserable and lost to me.
Its sad that there are only 3 episodes left in this season.

Posted by: Doug at October 1, 2007 at 3:39 pm

Oooh, think about this …
Compare Betty Draper & Carmela Soprano.
Compare Rachel Menken / Midge Daniels & Jennifer Melfi / Gloria Trillo.

Posted by: Caryn at October 1, 2007 at 3:43 pm