September 12, 2007

Yesterday at Ground Zero

The Truther counterprotest went really great yesterday. I had printed 1000 pamphlets and figured that on a rainy Tuesday afternoon that would be much more than was needed. The entire box was done within the hour. The speed at which everything happened, though, resulted in my not taking any pictures, unfortunately. I know photos were taken by others, so as soon as I get some I’ll post/link them here. Mary Katharine Ham has pictures of the WTC site before our protest began.

As people would walk by, we’d hand them a flyer and say “Read the real, shocking truth about 9/11…” The great majority of people would be frowning at this point. These people work in the area, they walk by the truther idiots every day. I imagine many worked in the area on 9/11. It’s sort of hard to tell them wacky stories about explosives in the building or how the government knew but let it happen anyway. “…how 19 Middle Eastern men flew planes into our buildings and brought down the towers and how it’s NOT a government conspiracy.” The faces would soften, they’d smile, and people would stop and take one. It was excellent. We got lots of thumbs up from the previously scowling people as they realized we weren’t truthers. A lot of people thanked us for being out there. It was really inspiring.

Thanks to everyone that came out, and thanks so much to Alarming News readers for providing the financial support for the printing. You guys rock. I thanked my readers on the front page of the pamphlet. I’ll post a copy here when I get chance.

When we were done, Kevin McCullough asked me when we were next going to do this. It went so well that I can’t imagine we won’t be there next year. The truthers are there year round. Perhaps we won’t wait a whole year to pay them another visit.

UPDATE: Here’s a picture taken by Jamie of myself with QuickJustice on the left and Dorian Davis on the right:

"Quick Justice", K and Dorian

UPDATE: Kevin McCullough has a post with a cool shot of us with Mary Katharine.

Posted by Karol at 08:43 AM |
Comments

Can I humbly request a post of pamphlet that was distributed? (PDF format would be great). :)
And thank you so much for being a voice of sanity.

Posted by: Timothy S. Carlson at September 12, 2007 at 9:43 am

Your made of stronger stuff than me, Karol. I couldn’t take the-before-they-knew-we-weren’t-the-crazies frown for a second. Especially, if it came from a mourner.

Posted by: Lisa at September 12, 2007 at 9:58 am

What a great way to make the point. Good on ya!

Posted by: lonetown at September 12, 2007 at 10:00 am

Hi Karol. It was pleasure to meet you and the others yesterday. Sorry I was not able to come in earlier.

Posted by: Jeevan at September 12, 2007 at 10:56 am

Thank you, for being there and for doing what you did. September 11th, to me, for the rest of my life, will always be a sacred special day. Almost, (but obviously not)like Memorial Day. I was seriously upset at the lack of coverage yesterday, even in the non-MSM.
I tuned into Rush hoping to hear his whole show dedicated to 9/11, and nothing else. Even his show was mainly concerned with other topics.
Important one’s, yes, but still, I guess maybe for me it is just a very emotional thing, that has shaped who I am, who I have become.
EVERY 9/11 since, 2001, I spend all day, reliving the horrors of that day. I watch the videos again, I listen to Kevin Cosgroves’ last moments, I listen to Betty Ong, and Mellisa Doi.
I do not want to, nor will I EVER forget what happened that day. More importantly however, it is more important to not forget the FEELING(s) of that day.
Yes a couple of the MSM outlets ran, “As It Happened” broadcast’s, but even they were lightly promoted if at all.
Maybe it is just me, but I expected more. If I had a show on either TV or Radio, I would devote my whole shift to 9/11, EVERY 9/11.
I would replay the horrible moments, the first initial reports when we were still innocently believing it was an accident.
Then the dawning horror as the second tower was struck and we began to realize that this was no accident.
I remember that on 9/11/2001, I was in school. It was so strange to me even on THAT day, how people around me continued going about their business normally. Granted, not everyone was like that, some like me were in silent shock, but many of my classmates continued driving the Tractor Trailer we were learning on, around the yard at school.
It was so strange to me, still is. I took the next day off because the emotions were too much for me to bear.
Did anyone else have those feelings yesterday, or notice the lack of dedicated coverage? Thanks for the forum, sorry so long winded, this is a very tender subject for me.

Posted by: Steven at September 12, 2007 at 11:45 am

I missed the post about donations somehow. Let me know when you’re going to do this again and I’ll get the word out for printing donations to as many people as possible.

Posted by: Pokerwolf at September 12, 2007 at 11:52 am

Excellent job!
Well done. Brilliant!

Posted by: philmon at September 12, 2007 at 12:03 pm

Truth Vs. truth: The Real 9/11 Conspiracy Explained At Ground Zero

Karol pulled her stunt of distributing pamphlets promising the real truth of 9/11 at Ground Zero yesterday, floating the almost-too-incredible-to-believe theory that 19 radical Muslims working as an Al Qaeda cell crashed four planes into buildings and …

Posted by: Ace of Spades HQ at September 12, 2007 at 1:12 pm

Thank you for defending sanity.

Posted by: Ed Gruberman at September 12, 2007 at 1:49 pm

I’m disappointed I couldn’t be there. I will be next time.

Posted by: Ed Z at September 12, 2007 at 3:31 pm

I hope you people hear understand that alot of these so called “crazy truthers” are relatives of people who were lost that day, who are asking real questions about what happened that day. We don’t know the whole truth about what happened, and you would be wrong to think that we do.

Posted by: Mark at September 12, 2007 at 11:00 pm

Appeal to emotion, sounds to me like they’re not asking questions and have their minds made up.
Next.

Posted by: Shawn at September 12, 2007 at 11:03 pm

I love the fact that you enclosed the phrase crazy truthers in quotation marks.
Nice one, Mark.
Tell me, do you have a better descriptive for people who think holograms projected from the White House obliterated a large swath of lower Manhattan, just out of curiosity?
l33t refutation of Troofer logic in less than 5 minutes

Posted by: Gerard at September 12, 2007 at 11:10 pm

Sorry I missed seeing this the other day; I will link for this evening’s post. Great job by all involved!
Gerard, the problem with the “Truthers” is that they have a hodgepodge of differing theories, but very few of them believe in the holograms.

Posted by: Pat Curley at September 13, 2007 at 6:29 pm

Great job, guys. As we all know, one can never underestimate the intelligence of 9/11 Truthers.

Posted by: b. j. edwards at September 13, 2007 at 9:26 pm

I don’t know who came up with this idea, but it was brilliant. Thanks for out truthing the truthers.

Posted by: Preston Taylor Holmes at September 13, 2007 at 9:31 pm

…but very few of them believe in the holograms.
That’s what the Bohemian Grovers would like you to believe.

Posted by: Gerard at September 13, 2007 at 11:16 pm

ha ha, what a joke you are !

Posted by: WT7 at September 15, 2007 at 6:28 am

Idiots?
Building 7 was the third skyscraper to be reduced to rubble on September 11, 2001. According to the government, fires, primarily, leveled this building, but fires have never before or since destroyed a steel skyscraper.
The team that investigated the collapse were kept away from the crime scene. By the time they published their inconclusive report in May, 2002, the evidence had been destroyed.
Why did the government rapidly recycle the steel from the largest and most mysterious engineering failure in world history, and why has the media remained silent?
The official explanation that fires caused the collapse of Building 7 is incredible in light of the fact that fires have never caused a steel-framed building to totally collapse, before or after September 11th, 2001.
Steel-framed high-rises (buildings of fifteen stories or more) have been common for more than 100 years. There have been hundreds of incidents involving severe fires in such buildings, and none have led to complete collapse, or even partial collapse of support columns.
The Interstate Bank Building fire consumed several floors but did not damage the steel superstructure.
Recent examples of high-rise fires include the 1991 One Meridian Plaza fire in Philadelphia, which raged for 18 hours and gutted 8 floors of the 38-floor building; 1 and the 1988 First Interstate Bank Building fire in Los Angeles, which burned out of control for 3-1/2 hours and gutted 4 floors of the 64 floor tower. Both of these fires were far more severe than any fires seen in Building 7, but those buildings did not collapse. The Los Angeles fire was described as producing “no damage to the main structural members”. 2
Research indicates that even if a steel-framed building were subjected to an impossible superfire, hundreds of degrees hotter and far more extensive then any fire ever observed in a real building, it would still not collapse. Appendix A of The World Trade Center Building Performance Study contains the following:
In the mid-1990s British Steel and the Building Research Establishment performed a series of six experiments at Cardington to investigate the behavior of steel-framed buildings. These experiments were conducted in a simulated, eight-story building. Secondary steel beams were not protected. Despite the temperature of the steel beams reaching 800-900 C (1,500-1,700 F) in three of the tests (well above the traditionally assumed critical temperature of 600 C (1,100 F), no collapse was observed in any of the six experiments).
In building fires outside of such laboratory experiments, steel beams and columns probably never exceed 500

Posted by: YouCantHandleTheTruth at September 15, 2007 at 6:36 am

You have lost the respect of the rest of the world.
Wake up or be damned.
Silicon breasts, plastic food, astroNOTs, your whole pathetic world is fake.
The Destruction of the World Trade Center
The principle alternative to the official theory that the Twin Towers and WTC Building 7 suffered spontaneous structural collapses is the theory that they were destroyed through controlled demolition by pre-positioned devices. This is the only serious alternative to the official theory, since the other theories — such as those involving exotic weapons or accidental explosions — lack even rudamentary plausibility. Given this dichotomy, a disproof of the collapse theory in its most general form constitutes a proof of the demolition theory in its most general form.
Any comprehensive theory describing the means and methods of controlled demolition applied to the WTC buildings is necessarily speculative, particularly given the paucity of artifacts that survived the Ground Zero cleanup operation. However, specific sets observations may indicate the use of certain demolition methods, perhaps as part of wider array of methods. One such set of observations has been adduced by Dr. Steven E Jones as evidence of the use of aluminothermics in the destruction of the WTC skyscrapers.

Posted by: OnlyInAmerica at September 15, 2007 at 7:00 am

I was at GZ as well, I looked for you guys all the way by the overpass (where the lights were done this year).
You totally missed a muslim on muslim version of trutherism/islam. It was something. It was a truly democratized version of one of the few MEMRI conspiracy counters in the ME.
Next time, let Free Republic know and we’ll meet up… to counter and definitely for the anniversary.
Great work.

Posted by: Ali at September 15, 2007 at 12:25 pm

[...] Anti-truther protest of 2007. [...]

Posted by: We remember you at September 11, 2010 at 11:04 pm

[...] provide them with a link to the video below. A rightwingy Rick-Rolling of sorts. I always prefer to use humor with the ridiculous and I’m tired of being angry at the stupid. Use it on Facebook, Twitter, blog comments, [...]

Posted by: Join me at January 19, 2011 at 2:17 pm