August 30, 2007

I love the Yankees

The last time I attended a Yankees-Red Sox match-up, I ran into Stephen Spruiell and Nathan Goulding. Nate was furtively wearing a Red Sox hat for which Stephen and I mocked him pretty mercilessly.

Last night, finding myself again at a Yankees-Red Sox game, I texted the National Review boys to see if they too were attending the game. They both texted back that they were not and Nate added “I wish”. The score at that point was Yankees 2, Red Sox 0, so I texted back “look at the score, I’m not sure you do.” This was enough to rile up the Sox fan to offer me a $10 bet that they win the game. Easiest ten bucks I ever did make.

We sat in front of this incredibly loud and obnoxious Red Sox chick. Peter, aka the nicest guy in the whole world, delivered the funniest line of the night when he said in a perfect Boston accent “wow, she’s wicked annoying.”

We ran into my friend Sam The Dealer (we should maybe add the word “poker” into his moniker as otherwise it’s an unfortunate acronym and also makes him sound like a drug dealer) who works at Yankee Stadium but roots against the Yanks. Dirty Mets fans.

A million years ago, I read my brother a Thomas Wolfe quote “All things on earth point home in old October; sailors to sea, travellers to walls and fences, hunters to field and hollow and the long voice of the hounds, the lover to the love he has forsaken” and asked him what he thought it was about. He was maybe nine years old at the time and answered that it sounded like it was about baseball, all things pointing home in old October, walls and fences, field, etc. It’s not, of course, but it’s nice to imagine that’s what Wolfe meant. May all things for the Yankees point home in old October.

Posted by Karol at 09:32 AM |
Comments

Easiest $10 bucks? It was a 4-3 game. This is why I hate Yankees fans. You guys win a game and somehow think it’s all over. You guys are 6 games out of first last I checked.

Posted by: Nate at August 30, 2007 at 10:13 am

Haha, don’t hate, Nate. Sure, it was the easiest 10 bucks. I sat in the stands and ate hot dogs while my boys earned me ten bucks. What’d your boys do for you? :-)

Posted by: Karol at August 30, 2007 at 10:14 am

And not for nothing, what makes you assume all I deal is poker, Hmm??? Oh, and I don’t openly root for the Yankees to lose; I just want them to win enough for me to make lots of money, but collapse horribly against the Sawx when it all matters, as I laugh all the way to the bank with the sad Yankee fan money!

Posted by: Sam the Dealer at August 30, 2007 at 10:20 am

I don’t really have a dog in this fight (I hate the Yankees on general principle, but I’m not a Sox fans by any means), but why does it always seem like the Sox put themselves in these positions? I mean, yeah, it’s still six games, but last time I cared to look it was something like 11–WTF? And with this series being a golden chance to go to your hated enemy’s home and snuff their life out right before their fans’ eyes they’ve already given away two games? I can’t figure that one out.
Just sayin’, if they can’t take care of business when given a chance, maybe the Sox _deserve_ to be caught by the Yankees.

Posted by: James at August 30, 2007 at 10:29 am

This just in, the redsox(who dont even deserve to be capitalized) are really not the Yankees rivals. As a matter of fact, the redsox are the weakest of all the teams in the AL east not named the Devilrays.The redsox can only define themselves as the Yankees whipping boys, since with in the division you have the Bluejays who have won 2 world series(twice as good as the redsox)and the Orioles have 3(thrice as good as the redsox) both clearly are greater rivals .Last I checked the Yankees have 26 championships since we bought Babe Ruth(boy those sox sure got an eye for talent). In that time the redsox have exactly 1(or 1 less than the Marlins.lol). Was selling Babe Ruth the dumbest move in sports? I submit no, In my humble opinion a trade not made in 1925 was even more gut wrentching than the sale of the greatest figure in all sports. How can that be you ask? Well I’ll tell you. The Yankees, in a effort to make up the complete fleecing of boston(affectionately know as the 19th city) of the Babe tried to trade Lou Gehrig to boston for a scrub named Phil Todt. They shrewd boston bunch would’nt budge. Rivals? Please, the redsox only rivals in the Al east are the Tampa bay Devilrays who are the only team in the division who has fewer rings than the sawx.

Posted by: Pheeleepok at August 30, 2007 at 1:04 pm

Once again, not a Sox fan. However, I find it interesting that the Yankees fans have finally managed to clear that huge obstruction known as the 2004 ALCS from their throat.
I’d say when someone’s required you to go to the hospital for a tracheotomy they can lay claim to being your rival. Just a thought.

Posted by: James at August 30, 2007 at 1:44 pm

Listening to that obnoxious girl all night long made the Yankees’ win even sweeter. To her credit, she avoided making racist slurs, but otherwise embodied every stereotype I have of Red Sox fans.
Yankees sweep today. Wicked awesome!

Posted by: Peter at August 30, 2007 at 4:32 pm

Is Yankee hating the saddest condition known to privelaged man? I think so. I root for my teams to do well, die hard and to the end. I root for my teams good(Yankees) or bad(Jets and Knicks) but at no point do I have any(not even a drop)of energy or interest to rooting against any other team. I even root for teams that are not my own as a concilation for various reasons(such as they play really well or have players that I like or they are underdogs). How much has to be missing from your every day life for you to root for the failure of the successful simply because they are successful? It is man’s natural state of being to strive to achive higher goals. To fail in the plight for greatness is noble. To be a Yankee hater or Cowboy hater is just an admission of inadequacy. Strive for goodness(we’ll work on great when you have a grasp on good) and you wont have time to hate the great.

Posted by: Pheeleepok at August 30, 2007 at 5:46 pm

I actually hate the Yanks because I was forced to read about them every day for an extended period of time.

Posted by: James at August 31, 2007 at 1:05 am

As a matter of fact, the redsox are the weakest of all the teams in the AL east not named the Devilrays…with in the division you have the Bluejays who have won 2 world series(twice as good as the redsox)and the Orioles have 3(thrice as good as the redsox) both clearly are greater rivals…the redsox only rivals in the Al east are the Tampa bay Devilrays who are the only team in the division who has fewer rings than the sawx

Wow! My hurst from the stoooooooooopid. One championship? Try six short bus.
As the sublime old saying goes: it’s better to say nothing and be thought as a retard, then to open your mouth (or post) and remove all doubt.
Now go adjust the strap on your helmet.

Posted by: Radical Redneck at August 31, 2007 at 10:29 am