August 29, 2007

Bleg

I’ve got the best readers in the world so I’m confident you guys will be able to help out with this:

I’m spending the upcoming weekend in Annapolis, MD with something like nine Russians. The only thing currently on the agenda is eating at Cantler’s. Any other suggestion for things to do in the area?

Posted by Karol at 10:52 AM |
Comments

Well, if you don’t mind a slight drive down to Fort Meade, you can visit the Nation Security Agency’s Cryptologic Museum.

Posted by: Hubbard at August 29, 2007 at 11:21 am

This may be a master of the obvious comment, but wouldn’t you want to take the tour of the US Naval Academy? It’s quite interesting.

Posted by: bobm at August 29, 2007 at 12:09 pm

If anyone is interested in the military, the Naval Academy does tours.
A sailing tour is also a good idea.
Walking around town is pretty much a given. Annapolis is pretty small, but it’s very picturesque.
You can also peruse the city’s website for other ideas.

Posted by: Pokerwolf at August 29, 2007 at 12:28 pm

There’s always the United States Naval Academy. Plus, sightseeing tours to Thomas Point Shoal Lighthouse and setting sail on the Schooner Woodwind

Posted by: Shawn at August 29, 2007 at 1:27 pm

Over and under on number of days after the weekend until Karol posts a picture of her surrounded by a crowd of midshipmen?
I’m in for 2 days, tops–who wants some of the action?

Posted by: James at August 29, 2007 at 1:58 pm

“who wants some of the action?”
No thanks.
You and Karol can have all the shipmen-action to yourselves.
Enjoy.

Posted by: E5 at August 29, 2007 at 2:12 pm

See, that’d be a lot more insulting if the Middies weren’t coed. Or I didn’t know a couple personally.

Posted by: James at August 29, 2007 at 2:36 pm

The Naval Academy tour is worth doing. It is a very picturesque city.
You could take a day trip over the bridge to the Eastern Shore and Delaware — Bethany Beach or Rehoboth Beach, sales-tax-free shopping at the outlet malls, the boardwalk in Ocean City.
Baltimore’s not far — there’s Fort McHenry (home of the Star Spangled Banner), the aquarium, and Camden Yards (if the Orioles are home).

Posted by: Michael Bates at August 29, 2007 at 4:03 pm

Karol, there is an excellent boat tour of the harbor, much better than the CircleLine’s around Manhattan. You can also take a tour of the Capitol – it’s an impressive and regal old building. Ask for the Maryland crabs at any of the small restaurants, they are very worth your while.

Posted by: Tatyana at August 29, 2007 at 7:48 pm

Go to the Naval Academy and ask to see the Nuclear Wessels.

Posted by: Pavel Chekhov at August 30, 2007 at 12:33 am

There are lots of nice places that you can walk right into downtown in Annapolis. There’s a deli just down the hill from the Capitol where all of the political bigwigs go. Pictures on the wall and all that, if you are interested in politico-tourism. I’ll try and hunt down the name of it.
I don’t know how upscale you plan to be, but Buddy’s Crabs and Ribs is just up the street from the main harbor landing, has a good buffet (so I’m told, I don’t know first hand because I usually eat the), good entrees. It’s a nice beer and crabs joint, and I usually try and stop there whenever I get a chance.

Posted by: David at August 30, 2007 at 10:23 am

Also, screw the schooners. I would advise taking a Skipjack tour of the bay. Skipjacks are oyster boats and you’ll get a lot of history (from before Maryland got so uppity being near DC). For general nautical advice, you should go by The Eastport Yacht Club. They will probably have the best advice with respect to on-the-water tourism.
Otherwise, the main benefit of being in Annapolis is being 45 minutes from B’more and 20-120 minutes to DC (depending on time of day, phase of the moon, retarded DC drivers).

Posted by: David at August 30, 2007 at 10:33 am

Also, screw the schooners.

Bah! :)

Posted by: Shawn at August 30, 2007 at 2:49 pm

are the Schoonies coed, too?

Posted by: E5 at August 30, 2007 at 3:16 pm

Karol, in addition to the Naval Academy, go right across the street and walk around the grounds of my alma mater, St. John’s College! The liberal arts kids will treat you nice, promise!
Oh, if you go down to the city docks, you’ll find a plaque marking the spot of Kunta Kinte’s (as in “Roots”) arrival as a slave in Annapolis.
Anyway, have a great time down there!

Posted by: Robert A. George at August 30, 2007 at 5:22 pm