July 27, 2007

Turkey’s election results are scary. I miss when Turkey used to give me a lot of hope.
Hat-tip James.

Posted by Dorian at 01:08 PM |
Comments

It’s entirely possible that I’m being naive about the AKP. Turkish politics are crazy complex. But cries of the AKP being a hardline Islamist party to me are a lot like the tripe one hears about the Republicans being a Christian Taliban.
If anything, center-right parties in Muslim countries are a development we (well, at least the conservative among us, I suppose) should encourage.

Posted by: Nikhil Bhat at July 27, 2007 at 5:17 pm

But the Republicans are the Christian Taliban! In the years since George Bush was placed into power, the rights of women, African-Americans, and LGBT-friendly people have been set back 50 years. All of the progress we’ve achieved have been destroyed and America is spiralling towards a Dark Ages towards the likes which have never before been seen. And let’s not even get started with what they’ve done to the Muslims. They’ve gone after every religious minority, in fact, except for the Jews. Why? Because the Jews control them. Take a look at who was behind 9/11. It was Paul Wolfowitz and Ariel Sharon who planned the attacks, not that CIA crony/patsy Osama bin Laden (he’s really just a figment of our imagination, just a spook figure George Hitler likes to trot out every few months when his approval numbers dip). And take a look at Chimpy’s environmental record. It’s like he’s trying to create a holocaust towards the animals and plants of this world. But then again, the faster the earth is destroyed, the faster the Christian idea of apocolypse and rapture comes, so let’s all kneel down and bow before the oil companies and the dollar. Hail hail hail the dollar!!!!

Posted by: thewalrusispaul at July 27, 2007 at 7:20 pm

Turkey has been an awful country for many years. Just ask the Kurds or the ethnic Georgians who have been bulldozed out of their homes over the past few years. And let’s not forget Cyprus, or go way back to the extermination of one million armenians in 1915.

Posted by: bryan at July 28, 2007 at 6:13 am

But what happened to purple fingers and gushes to democracy sweeping the region (think W’s second inagural address) ?
Awww….I think the neoconmen have been mugged by reality.

Posted by: Von Bek at July 28, 2007 at 11:47 am

It’s only funny about the “neocons” getting mugged by reality until the long-term repercussions occur.

Posted by: James Young at July 29, 2007 at 11:21 pm

I was in Istanbul on election day last week and I can say western press makes this out to be worse that it appeared in person. While the Istanbulites I met were the more prosperous types (read: “elites” in the general discussions you may read/find) and they were against the AK Party (AKP), they admitted you have to look at 2 key points dictating the results:
1) the economic prosperity Erdogan and AKP have brought to Turkey (in 2001 Tukey was in crises and AKP came to power in 2002).
2) The general incompetence lack of coherence from the CHP and nationalist party alliance.
This is what led to AKP landslide (especially #1). As so long as the economics keep going well, the Turks will vote their pocket book and keep AKP in power.
The ominous tone from western press should be more of a vigilance in my opinioon rather than an indictment of these elections. Let’s see how much more Erdogan and AKP more for a more Islamist country. He has already put up Gul again, so Turkey bears watching. But the “sky is falling” crowd seem to be off the mark to me.
And, as was said to me by many Turks, if AKP goes too far, the military will do what is has to do. It has done it before and it will do it again. From what I saw, Erdogan is smart enough to know this and won’t be radicalizing Turkey as people fear. But I do wish CHP was more competent and the opposition fared better in this election.

Posted by: Kevin Patrick at July 30, 2007 at 12:26 pm