June 26, 2007

News from the ‘nabe

My favorite coffee and dessert place on the Upper East Side, DTUT, has closed. DTUT stood for “Downtown Uptown”, and while I know they were affiliated with Drip on the West Side, I don’t believe they have ever had a downtown location.

It used to be a dating cafe where people would fill out a profile to be put into binders. Potential daters would then sift through the binders and leave a note with the cafe. The cafe would then call and let the prospect know someone was interested and a date would be set up, likely at DTUT.

By the time I started going there with any regularity, they had scrapped the dating side-project. I hadn’t been there in years but had recently wandered in with my friend Ren. We sat on the comfy couches and enjoyed our chocolate fondue and super sweet frappes.

I guess the Pinkberrys and Cold Stones of the world drove it out of business. Oh well, life goes on. See ya when I see ya, DTUT.

Comments

they did have a downtown location which has also closed. it is very sad. =(

Posted by: pn at June 26, 2007 at 9:25 pm

Last Night at my Trivia Night, I asked what does DTUT stand for as one of my questions.
If any Alarming News readers are interested, I host a Trivia Night twice a week at two different locations.
Both places start at 8pm.
Tuesdays at 1020 Bar. 1020 Amsterdam Ave @ West 110 street.
Wednesdays at the La Negrita 999 Columbus Ave @ West 109 street.

Posted by: PAUL at June 27, 2007 at 10:44 am

Skyrocketing rents is what drove them out of business.

Posted by: PAUL at June 27, 2007 at 10:45 am

Is Wheaton dead? I keep expecting to see an anti-hipster comment re your sadness over DTUT…

Posted by: Alceste at June 27, 2007 at 1:08 pm

Sorry to fall down on the job, Alceste. But I would point out that it’s typical of Karol, who thinks online dating is a non-romantic loser-type thing (this from Karol), to think that flipping through hipster personals in a beat-up binder is somehow a cool thing to do!!
That good enough? I’ve actually been satisfying my hipster-hatred needs by slipping into “East” Williamsburg (or as I like to call it West West West Hampton) at night and strangling a couple.

Posted by: Ken at June 27, 2007 at 1:14 pm

Actually, I think pretty much any type of blind dating is lame, including hipster binders. I just thought it was a cool concept…for other people who can’t get dates the normal way. :-P

Posted by: Karol at June 27, 2007 at 1:35 pm

@ least we had one last chocolately hurrah there before it closed, K. You introduced me to the place and it always has and always will remind me of you. Well, know that it’s gone, you’ll have to remind me of it. Where will we go for the munchies now!?

Posted by: Ren at July 1, 2007 at 10:03 pm