May 29, 2007

So, who wants to take me to Mexico?

Largest-ever exhibit of Frida Kahlo work to open in Mexico

I went to a Frida Kahlo/Diego Rivera exhibit a few years ago in Paris and it was one of the most incredible exhibits I’ve ever seen. Should you find yourself in Mexico City before August, check it out.

Comments

im in love with julie taymor a lil bit for making a movie abotu her.

Posted by: brent j. at May 30, 2007 at 12:15 am

let’s go

Posted by: rachel d. at May 30, 2007 at 1:56 am

I never saw the movie. I meant to but never got around to it.

Posted by: Karol at May 30, 2007 at 2:49 am

But, but… wasn’t Frida a communist?

Posted by: Steve at May 30, 2007 at 9:35 am

What’s so great in Rivera? I can see how Kahlo might, sorta, be attractive to the fans of primitivism crossed with magic realism, etc.
But Rivera? Social realist with complexes.

Posted by: Tatyana at May 30, 2007 at 9:49 am

you should see it. julie taymor is pretty amazing.

Posted by: brent j. at May 30, 2007 at 11:55 am

The movie was actually pretty good, notwithstanding the absence of any information about how Kahlo was a hard core Stalinist who was partially responsible for Trotsky’s assassination by a GPU death squad.
But this is Hollywood, so what do you expect?
There’s also a great love scene between Salma Hayek and the woman playing Josephine Baker, which I think is awesome.
Other people have told me that the actress portraying Baker looks like a dog, but I disagree.

Posted by: Gerard at May 30, 2007 at 2:18 pm

I actually prefer Rivera, not sure why. I don’t know a lot about art, but the exhibit in Paris just really blew me away.
And yes, they were Commies. I don’t love that.

Posted by: Karol at May 30, 2007 at 3:12 pm

Dear lord. Commies and that whiny Jeff Buckley suicider. What next? You gonna try to sell me a Che shirt and then write about how awesome “cutting” is? :)

Posted by: Ken at May 30, 2007 at 3:31 pm

After the shabby treatment shown our Miss America representative during the Miss Universe pagent, I will not be spending my tourist dollars in such disgraceful country.
For shame.

Posted by: Kevin Patrick at May 30, 2007 at 3:33 pm

Dear lord. Commies and that whiny Jeff Buckley suicider.
I don’t think Buckley’s death was suicide. What makes you say that?
Eh, maybe if they had more tourist dollars they wouldn’t be in such a hurry to hop the border and come over here. But yeah, I hear you, I hate giving money to America-hating countries too. I used to go abroad all the time but haven’t left the states in like 4 years–the longest time ever.

Posted by: Karol at May 30, 2007 at 4:19 pm

Rufino Tamayo’s work isn’t too bad.
Other than that I can’t say much-at least, not much good-about Mexican art.
Mayan and Aztec civilization is a different matter.
I would love to see some of the ancient ruins left behind by the Olmecs, Mayans, Aztecs, etc….

Posted by: Gerard at May 30, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Oh man, I ran across two references to Frida Kahlo in my daily reading. My head’s spinning.
Here’s the other:

Posted by: TA at May 30, 2007 at 5:15 pm

Wasnn’t Elliot Smith the whiny suicider? Buckley was just the moron who decided steel toed boots were appropriate swimming attire…

Posted by: Alceste at May 30, 2007 at 5:47 pm

haha. i just always assume all artists/actors/musiciains are hard core stalinists until someone tells me otherwise.

Posted by: brent j. at May 30, 2007 at 8:31 pm

What makes you think that?

Posted by: Gerard at May 30, 2007 at 8:47 pm