April 25, 2007

Bad moon rising

**A video of a not-exactly-anti-abortion Fred Thompson has surfaced. I’m not happy about this, but do agree with Allah that it probably won’t matter that much:

“I don’t expect this will cause him any problems given his solidly pro-life Senate voting record and the fact that, as the anointed party savior, he’s bulletproof. Besides, he’s still no further to the left on this issue than any other leading Republican.”

**Giuliani says electing Democrats will lead to another 9/11. I guess we’ll see if he’s the one guy in politics who can get away with saying something like that.

**Ryan Sager reviews John McCain’s return to the Daily Show. He confused me with this:

“”The Daily Show” is a fairly reliable barometer of center-left political opinion. And, so, I’ve always taken John McCain’s appearances on the show (tonight marked his ninth) as an excellent way to gauge his standing with an important part of the electorate.”

Wait, why does McCain care about the center-left? They’re not voting in the Republican primary and their certainly not voting for a Republican in the general election. Ryan continues,

“That part of the electorate also happens to encompass much of the media.”

Oh. Right. McCain’s most important constituency, the one he’s always courting: the media.

**Mitt? Where’s Mitt?

Posted by Karol at 04:41 AM |
Comments

It amazes me that in the political world people have serious issues when people, over time, change their minds about things. I can understand if a year or so ago a political candidate said something 100% counter to what they’re saying now (with no particular evidence or reason for the change of opinion. But, for things that occurred a number of years ago why aren’t people allowed to change their minds?

Posted by: Pokerwolf at April 25, 2007 at 7:30 am

“Besides, he

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at April 25, 2007 at 10:04 am

Democrats argue that Bush (and by extension, Republicans) have made us less safe. Why shouldn’t Republicans (be allowed to) make the case why the strategies pushed by Democrats would make us less safe?
Even if honesty isn’t the best way to get elected, he might be pushing the eventual Democratic candidate “right” and that wouldn’t be a bad thing for the country.
Go Rudy!
(p.s.: Anyone who thinks Fred is going to get a free pass re: closet skeletons has another thing coming….)

Posted by: Mark Poling at April 25, 2007 at 11:52 am

When Republicans win it is because they pull the center-left over to the center-right. I don’t see how you don’t think this is an important constituency for him. Even the idea that primary season is no time to court the center-left fails when you consider that electability is a significant factor in primary voting.

Posted by: Charles at April 25, 2007 at 1:00 pm

Oh yeah, that center-left came out for Bush bigtime.

Posted by: Karol at April 25, 2007 at 1:10 pm

If you don’t think that the second election wasn’t about fear and being pot committed overriding common sense about a significant part of the center-left, you weren’t watching the same country I was.
Stupid New Republic.

Posted by: Charles at April 25, 2007 at 1:51 pm

Here I was thinking that I was one of the last 12 subscribers to the New Republic.
And as closely divided as the country is on a national level, I would think attracting folks in the center who could still go either way would be a reasonably good idea – will any candidate really energize the “base” like Bush did?

Posted by: Alceste at April 25, 2007 at 2:38 pm

While courting the center might be a good general election strategy, if that’s McCain’s constituency he’ll never make it there. The normal thing to do is get the right on board during primary season and then tack to the center. This just makes no sense to me.
If I were McCain I’d be in Iraq more than the US until the primaries are over. There are still a lot of people (especially Repubicans) that support the war, he’s got cred in that department, and (if nominated) it would allow him to say “look, the Democrats didn’t even go to the briefings while I went there to see for myself”.

Posted by: Eric at April 25, 2007 at 3:57 pm

The same liberals the support abortion are the same ones with SAVE THE RAINFORETS,SAVE THE REDWOODS,SAVE THE SPOTTED OWLS,SAVE THE WHALES,SAVE THE RED LEGGED FROG,SAVE THE FLOWER LOVING FLY, bumper stickers on their cars

Posted by: golden phoenix at April 26, 2007 at 10:36 am

People on the Center Left could easilty vote Moderate Republican if they liked the candidate. Especially if they don’t like the Democrat alternatives.

Posted by: PAUL at April 26, 2007 at 4:28 pm