March 29, 2007

Today’s music post

Claudine Longet.jpg

When I met my ex-boyfriend, Warren, he had a Claudine Longet record hanging on the wall of his room in a very musical house on Holman Street in Allston, Massachusetts.

He told me she was a French singer who, in a fit of jealous rage, killed her pro skiier boyfriend with a sniper rifle while he was on the slopes (her Wikipedia entry actually has an entirely different story on how she kills him but I prefer the version I first heard).

He then played me some of her mellow, pretty songs and said “this record is impossible to find.” An ebay visit and four dollars later, I was the proud owner of the Claudine Longet record pictured above, despite the fact that, back then, I didn’t have a record player.

She has a really pretty voice, perfect for a slow-moving Thursday.

Warren and I? Still good friends. He marries the lovely Chartreuse Velour this June.

Comments

Karol and Warren in the basement, Kyle working for the government, Paulie and T-key in the driveway with the man. I’m on the back porch staring at the garden.
Kinda sounds like a song, no?
Ahh, I miss those days sometimes.

Posted by: toby at March 29, 2007 at 2:47 pm

If you are wondering where Warren got his version of the story from, it’s further down in the Wikipedia entry:
Season 1 Episode 18 of Saturday Night Live featured a skit titled “The Claudine Longet Invitational,” which parodied the shooting incident, showing skiers making runs down the slopes until they are

Posted by: Charles at March 29, 2007 at 3:03 pm

I loved picturing her with a sniper rifle getting him on the slopes. That sweet looking girl!

Posted by: Karol at March 29, 2007 at 3:09 pm

I think my parents had this.
I took your advice and picked up Lily Allen. So good. Really fun.

Posted by: Laura at March 29, 2007 at 4:23 pm

homeboy best remember that story, too. i really hope you and peter can make it! i am shopping for a dress as we speak.
(p.s. could you remove the link to our wedding page, as it’s not meant to be public, and i’m actually a little concerned about crashers. not any of your lovely readers, of course, but like readers of readers of readers.) (also, i’m trying to keep my blog and my name separate, if you could assist with that too.) (aaahhuuuhhhch, i’m a pain in the butt.)
enjoy the lovely weather!

Posted by: chartreusevelour at March 29, 2007 at 4:37 pm

actually, the “tia” link is probably ok since there are a lot of tia’s when you google.

Posted by: chartreusevelour at March 29, 2007 at 4:43 pm

Done and done. And we’ll definitely be there!

Posted by: Karol at March 29, 2007 at 5:05 pm

i like my version (i guess snl’s) better too. i was so pissed when you found that on ebay after i sifted through who knows how many thousands of thrift store records. the whole album is great except for happy talk. that song grates my nerves.

Posted by: warren at March 29, 2007 at 11:11 pm