March 28, 2007

Based on what, Jimmy?

James Dobson says it’s his “impression” that Fred Thompson isn’t a Christian. It’s my impression that James Dobson doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

Much as my instinct is to lash out at Dobson (I mean, who is he to say who is or is not a Christian) I know that he is quite a big deal, especially in the swing state of Colorado. I don’t know what he has against our man Fred, but I do hope he cuts this nonsense out.

Comments

Dobson has a lot of clout with the Christian voters because of his talk show “Focus On the Family”.
He’s also a starched shirt, killjoy who thinks that everyone should believe what he does and you’re “Godless” if you stray from that line.
Honestly, the reason he said what he did about Thompson could literally be anything, including how he looks at people. Yes, he’s that bad.

Posted by: Pokerwolf at March 28, 2007 at 3:20 pm

And why should this matter? It’s not like we live in Iran or Saudi Arabia or someplace else where people are judged on religious merits. The guy could worship Satan for all I care. Just tell me how he stands on things like national defense and lower taxes.

Posted by: Marco at March 28, 2007 at 3:30 pm

Focus On The Family? Those guys are crazy. Have you ever seen their music reviews? It’s probably the only time I’ve ever seen Kid A critiqued solely on its lyrical content.

Posted by: Peter at March 28, 2007 at 3:46 pm

As I posted on Hotair, we could always put my former Bishop in as the next President. He gets out of the slammer in 10 years.

Posted by: Benny at March 28, 2007 at 3:49 pm

Marco:
I wish there were more people that thought like you did.
Alas, in a recent poll, only 45% of Americans would ever be willing to vote for a “generally well-qualified candidate” who was atheist. Similarly, only 72% would ever vote for a Mormon.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at March 28, 2007 at 4:07 pm

Has Fred Thompson ever burned a heretic? I didn’t think so. QED.

Posted by: Charles at March 28, 2007 at 6:03 pm

there shall be no religious test to hold office, except, apparently, james dobson.
he better not get on fred’s bad side, tho. fred will destroy him.

Posted by: brent j. at March 28, 2007 at 7:01 pm

Based on Dobson’s criterion, would any of the leading GOP candidates be a Christian? And if Thompson is not one, then why the hell should a philanderer like Newt be called one ? The only candidate who would seem to fit Dobson’s criterion would be Huckabee.
While not a Christian nation, America remains a nation full of Christians despite the best efforts of social leftists, the ACLU, the ADL, and jihadist immigrants. As long as a non-Christian president could speak and reach out to faithful Americans, I think they would remain able to connect with the American populace. While not a fan of the junior senator from CT, I think Joementum for example could do so.

Posted by: Von Bek at March 28, 2007 at 7:32 pm

Voters are allowed to apply whatever test they wish when choosing a candidate.
I think Christians feel more comfortable voting for a Christian because they believe the candidate holds a set of values that overlaps with their own. Seems quite logical to me. The problem with that line of reasoning is some of those guys *cough*Clinton*cough* only mouth the words without holding any of the values.

Posted by: Eric at March 28, 2007 at 8:45 pm

What non-christian act has Fred comitted? Dobson just comitted one when he accused someone of not being a christian. There is not medical test to show what a person thinks. Lots of guesses, mostly wrong.

Posted by: Scrapiron at March 29, 2007 at 12:10 am

If you can judge a man by his enemies, Fred’s stock just went up quite a bit in my book.

Posted by: Mark Poling at March 29, 2007 at 9:48 am

I’m sorry your party has become so inextricably linked to the Religious Right through supporting the presidency of George Bush. I share the feeling since the libertarians seem to be associated with attending furbie conventions…
If your candidate does not openly fly the christian flag, they will lose the next presidential election to the democrats.

Posted by: Jody at March 29, 2007 at 10:52 am

Is there any website or resource that gives information on Fred Thompson. His beliefs, his political views, his vision for the future, the direction he would want to take the country, where he stands on the issues…
I want to learn more about him.

Posted by: PAUL at March 29, 2007 at 1:00 pm

Yeah, Dobson is extremely influential in the swing-state of Colorado… that’s why it’s turning more blue every single day.

Posted by: Ken at March 29, 2007 at 3:43 pm

Dobby disses Fred

Below I’m going to try to provide some cultural context for James Dobson’s comment casting doubt on Sen. Fred Thompson’s Christian faith (while applauding serial bigamist Newt Gingrich). But first, these folks had some worthwhile things to say on the s…

Posted by: BatesLine at March 29, 2007 at 4:36 pm

I want to learn more about him.

Posted by: PAUL at March 30, 2007 at 3:08 pm

It’s odd that Dobson focused his comments on Thompson. What makes him stand out?
As a registered Repub, I was getting a lot of spam from Dobson’s outfit. Had to set up email to block it. Seems he hates anything that’s more tittillating than bingo.
Plus, hey guess what, Dobson? The Constitution (ever heard of it? It was in all the papers) says there shall be no religious test for elective office.

Posted by: barry in co at March 31, 2007 at 2:33 am