February 28, 2007

British reparations?

If this is a joke, I don’t get it.

Comments

Well speaking as a student of world history the following phrase springs to mind concerning this group.
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha etc.
How on earth does the fact that Britain invented the machine gun make us responsible for Soviet Gulags? By that line of “reasoning” the Chinese are in fact to blame for having invented gun powder.
The British crown has not been absolute since 1214 when King John was forced by his Barons to sign Magna Carta. Parliament is sovereign in Britain not the monarchy.
The Industrial Revolution. Here we see the author is by no means a student of world history. Any serious study of the Industrial Revolution (and for your own sanity don’t undertake it as it’s as boring as hell) showsd factories were a by product or a continuation of what is known as proto-industry, an industrial stage undertaken across Europe not just Britain.
I note this is an American group. Yes many of the modern problems in the Middle-East were at least partly caused by Britain. I do recall from my history that the event that really pissed off the arab/muslim world was the creation of Israel. A decision Britain was not happy about and was bullied into by shock horror, the US.
We didn’t invent the Black Plague. What a moronic assertion. The plague itself did not start in Britain therefore I question the statement that we are responsible for it. Concentration camps we invented. There existed equivalents long before that though. Counting trees in Siberia springs to mind.
In short. WHAT AN EFFING BUNCH OF MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Nick at February 28, 2007 at 6:40 pm

So far only 8500 people have signed it. I could get more on a petition to bring back Firefly.

Posted by: Eric at February 28, 2007 at 7:41 pm

I’ve been getting those e-mails every day too. What, are they sending it to every blogger?

Posted by: Stev at February 28, 2007 at 7:55 pm

ICBR? You’re Kidding, Right?

The ICBR. What does it stand for? The International Coalition for British Reparations. Their mission? To get Great Britain to sign over 31 trillion pounds, to be split among all the world’s people. That’s over $8,300 a person. Their reason?…

Posted by: The Political Pit Bull at February 28, 2007 at 8:27 pm

This is the single stupidest thing I have seen all week. And this has been one messed up week.
I’m feeling pretty lucky the the Brits were so awful that scads of my people departed their and other shores to wind up here in the US.
These guys are a waste of bandwidth.

Posted by: Happy Reichwinger at March 1, 2007 at 8:13 am

Are you sure it’s not reductio ad absurdum?

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at March 1, 2007 at 3:07 pm

What’s funny is that if this group is serious then they are leftists. If they’re joking, they’re probably rightwingers.

Posted by: Karol at March 1, 2007 at 3:58 pm

I thought Hiram Maxim invented the machine gun, he was from Tennessee (I think), and if not defineately one of the more southern of the US states.

Posted by: bryan at March 3, 2007 at 10:52 am

He did invent it. Although I still say the Soviet Gulag deaths are the Chinese fault as they invented gunpowder. Or perhaps we can blame the Sumerians/Chinese for having the temerity to invent the wheel which lead to mass logistics and the tank.

Posted by: Nick at March 6, 2007 at 3:05 pm

What aload of balls. You people aint getting a penny. 31 trillion. Hahahah get a job. Come up with sum real facts. British empire 4EVER

Posted by: WTF at March 7, 2007 at 8:49 am

These people are really starting to bug me, I’ve had two emails from them now. I read that the whole thing is meant to be some kind of joke but I didn’t sign up for it and why isn’t the site closed down for spamming?

Posted by: Harley at March 22, 2007 at 4:16 pm

What about the devastation and pillaging in the rest of the world? The world would have surely been a better place had not these barbaric people left that godforsaken island.
Stick those reparations up your “arse”. You are in-capable of paying it even if you had to. Just and acknowledgment of the british role is enough.

Posted by: Abhijit at May 4, 2008 at 12:41 pm

The British empire were always great at getting Germany to pay reparations , the queen visited Ireland two years ago , dissapointed the security was too tight to put a bullet in her , British people are so smug they don’t realise they were terrorists for years , look what they did to the Irish , Indians , Africans . Colonial terrorism and greed

Posted by: Shane at July 8, 2013 at 8:14 am