January 31, 2007

The flexibility of Andrew Sullivan

Remember my August brouhaha with Andrew Sullivan? Back then, a plot to bomb several airplanes was thwarted in London and the word was that unsavory methods were used to extract information. I said that torture was ok if there was an imminent threat. Sully called me “deranged” and argued that there didn’t seem to be any terror plot at all.

Now Political Pitbull informs me that Sullivan accepts that the plot was real. I’m not holding my breath for an apology.

UPDATE: Allah points out that Sullivan is still pointedly referring to the plot as “alleged”. Well, yes, but then he follows that with “The awful news is that these fanatics exist”. That’s exactly what I mean about Sullivan’s flexibility. Either they exist or they don’t. Either there was a plot or there wasn’t. He seems to want it both ways.

Comments

British Phony Up Evidence Against Nine Innocent Muslims To Influence Results of 2006 Elections

Good news, really. It means the Brits have finally fixed that time machine they inherited from a H.G. Wells estate sale. VIL Muslim terrorists were to kidnap a British soldier on UK streets and force him to plead with Tony…

Posted by: Ace of Spades HQ at January 31, 2007 at 2:40 pm

I think Pitbull misses the mark. A better reading is that the fantatics are those who planned to kidnap the soldier – like the alleged plane plot suspects, they were observed for months. He’s using the airline plot — to which he only refers as alleged — for context. I think you’re stretching to read this post as saying he’s changed his position on anything (and with Sullivan, why bother stretching when he may end up changing anyways?)

Posted by: Alceste at January 31, 2007 at 3:30 pm

Not to say, by the way, that Sullivan wasn’t an ass (even if it wasn’t any worse than instapundit’s “bellicose woman” dig at you…)

Posted by: Alceste at January 31, 2007 at 3:40 pm

I’m with Alceste on this one (though to be blunt I’m still winicng over how Sullivan linked to a post that turned the Ace of Spades into the Two of Clubs on Sullivan’s position on more troops in Iraq-for someone who liked listening to Ace on the radio, that was painful).

Posted by: Von Bek at January 31, 2007 at 8:19 pm

He seems to want it both ways

Wrong! I think we know AS(S) wants it only one way!
He’s loyal though (behind you all the way)!

Posted by: Radical Redneck at February 1, 2007 at 12:48 am

Someone points a gun at you and kicks you and they say that you have to admit to doing the crime or else they will continue to kick you. What is your take? How many of you would sit there and take it and how many of you would confess? Shit, I would confess just to get the crackers off me. Don’t get me wrong, I would hit one of those crackers in the face first if it was one on one. But tourture to get information like this is lame. Of course all those who applaud it don’t know tourture. I was in the special forces and let me tell you, some of the shit they teach is sickness.

Posted by: joaquinochoa at February 1, 2007 at 10:27 am