January 30, 2007

Here comes the dark horse?

Rich Lowry calls newly-announced-presidential-candidate Mike Huckabee’s speech to the National Review Institute “spellbinding”

Posted by Karol at 04:42 AM |
Comments

I have a feeling of foreboding about our nomination process this time around.

Posted by: Dorian Davis at January 30, 2007 at 8:45 am

Me too, Dorian. The nomination process is more heavily front-loaded than ever. We’ll go from a dozen candidates to just one in about a month’s time. The field will be too crowded at the beginning to thoroughly vet anyone, then before we know it, we’ll have a presumptive nominee and months to learn about all the flaws that didn’t surface before the primaries. By the time the convention rolls around, we’ll all be thoroughly sick of the presumptive nominee and wish we could dump him, but the delegates will be locked in.
If that sounds like what happened to the Democrats in ‘04, you’re right. Some GOP convention delegates wanted to address the ‘08 nomination process, but the Bush people put the kibosh on anything substantive happening at the big party.
Huckabee is a very impressive speaker, and he is very comfortable working a room. He’s got Clinton’s charisma without the creepy factor. That said, he isn’t much of a fiscal conservative — raised taxes several times, raised the state minimum wage.

Posted by: Michael Bates at January 30, 2007 at 10:34 am

I’m with Dorian. I don’t feel good about it and part of it is “the normal guy” factor that helped Bush over Gore and Kerry. None of them have it.
Hi. I have had three wives and the last one was my mistress who I publicly flaunted during my last term in office. Oh and by the conservatives, I am pro choice and pro partial birth and pro civil unions.
Hi. I’m in my early 70s, you know as old as Bob Dole back in 96, angered the hell out of you conservatives in 2000 and am now calling for more and more troops in Iraq despite what the American people think. And pay no attention to the whispers of cancer and that odd lump on the left side of my neck.
Hi. I’m a conservative. Really. Just don’t pay attention to when I was pro choice and pro civil unions back in 94. And I’m for state healthcare. And I think Jesus lived among the Native Americans.
Hi. I lost 100 pounds. I really don’t talk about my record or what I stand for. I lost 100 pounds.
Hi. I’m the smartest guy in the room but I also am an arrogrant man who turns off everyone by my personality. While I used to be Speaker, now I’m a reformer.
With that kind of field, you can already see problems coming on down the line.

Posted by: Von Bek at January 30, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Can’t say I like this… Huckabee was sharp and charming in his appearance on The Daily Show. Clearly conservative but with a lot of crossover appeal.
Big sigh of relief that Kerry is officially out of the race.

Posted by: Charles Star at January 30, 2007 at 1:31 pm

I saw Huckabee a while ago at a certain meeting that happens on Mondays… There he was captivating, and he offered a picture not unlike Romney or Giuliani in that he governed in a Dem-dominated arena. He talked about inquiring about reducing taxes, and after aides researched it, they discovered that had never before occurred in Arkansas at the state level, so there was no precedence. He did lower some taxes. Apparently raised some too from the comments.
Somewhat Reaganesque. And ran the NYC marathon in his weight-loss endeavor.

Posted by: Scott Sala at January 30, 2007 at 2:00 pm

Right… because wowing the National Review crowd is an instant ticket to the White House.
But I wish him luck.
As far as John Kerry goes, I only WISH he’d stick around for the duration. I don’t think any of us were done kicking his dopey ass around.

Posted by: Ken at January 30, 2007 at 3:14 pm

I feel like the GOP is going to nominate someone with zero appeal to anyone outside of the RNC delegates.
A conservative Baptist minister from Arkansas, who advocates creationism? Puh-lease. That wouldn’t get 100 electoral votes.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at January 30, 2007 at 4:13 pm

Wait … Huckabee is a creationist? Really? I may have an unhealthy appetite for risk but I’m starting to like him as a GOP candidate for President.

Posted by: Charles at January 30, 2007 at 6:51 pm

Hey, it works! Just ask President Gramm and President Kasich!

Posted by: Michael Bates at January 31, 2007 at 10:00 am