November 30, 2006

What happens in Vegas….

Remember when I was 85% going to Vegas? Well, the tickets are now booked bringing that percentage to something like 98% (it’s never 100% until you’re there). Dawn and I are going for a Poker Blogger Tournament, leaving a week from today, and are supremely excited about it.

It’s my first time in Sin City so if you’ve got tips or suggestions leave them in the comment section. At the moment the only plan is to eat at the brand new Rao’s restaurant at Caesar’s on Friday (read about my history of trying to eat at Rao’s here) and play in the aformentioned tournament on Saturday.

Comments

If you’re just gonna be there for a weekend you could spend the entire weekend just looking without gambling at all.
The best buffet is Bellagio, though it isn’t cheap.
If you want to play craps you can get better odds downtown.

Posted by: Anonymous at November 30, 2006 at 4:08 pm

bahahahahahahahahahahaha
but the best buffets is the mirage brunch.
bellagio was expensive and sucky.

Posted by: nds at November 30, 2006 at 4:14 pm

Don’t sleep. In Vegas, the need for sleep is a figment of your imagination.

Posted by: David at November 30, 2006 at 4:25 pm

Prostitution is illegal in Clark County, lap dances are not.

Posted by: jay at November 30, 2006 at 4:42 pm

My whole Vegas experience just consisted of seeing its airport (they have slot machines, if you’re into that), so I have no suggestions but if I were going I’d try to get tickets to the Beatles/Cirque de Soliel (sp?) show. It’s supposed to be really good.

Posted by: Peter at November 30, 2006 at 6:08 pm

Good time to go before the holidays, Karol, it’s cheap and uncrowded.
Where are you staying? I’d strongly recommend staying on the Strip itself if you are a first time visitor since it is very spectacular, in an over the top way. Also you can party hard on the Strip without any drink/driving issues. (Indeed, there’s no closing time at the bars and no open bottle law for pedestrians on the Strip.) Comment above is right — you could spend your first visit just gawking and not gambling. But don’t.
A good midpriced alternative on the Strip is the Luxor, with its pseudo Egyptian pyramid design, although I also like,m among many other good choices, the gargantuan MGM Grand, which is right on the new monorail. The MGM actually has an on-premise lion habitat.
You probably want to pay one visit downtown, which is significantly grungier than the Strip, but very much represents the old Vegas.
If you do any significant gambling in a casino, you probably want to join the players club in that casino (a number of them are now combined), so that you can qualify for comps or discounts on future visits.
Email me if you want to discuss further.

Posted by: bobm at November 30, 2006 at 7:00 pm

Are you looking for investors?

Posted by: Jake at November 30, 2006 at 7:34 pm

Karol, you can browse thru these “Vegas” posts by Donald Pittenger, loads of useful info.

Posted by: Tatyana at November 30, 2006 at 7:44 pm

Do catch a show if you have the time and funds and, yes, if you want to do some non-PBT gambling, head downtown.
Four words: Fremont Street after dark.

Posted by: Shawn at November 30, 2006 at 8:07 pm

You should get into the mood by renting “Viva Las Vegas,” starring Elvis & Ann-Margret.
That’ll give you a chance to see some of the fun mid-century, modernist architecture of old Vegas, before it was paved over for new Vegas.
And if some old crank named Reid offers you a good deal on real estate—for heaven’s sake, take it !
You may at first be apprehensive about him, because he’s known to ramble on for hours in MoveOn.org semantics, but I swear the old man is connected—with the gambling commission, Indian casinos, the city zoning committee, the mafia, George Soros, and the Kennedys !

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at December 1, 2006 at 12:29 am

Dawn and I are going for a Poker Blogger Tournament…
I hope you’ll be on my right, as you were at the last one. That way I’ll know when to fold’em.

Posted by: Jason at December 1, 2006 at 1:09 am

See Penn & Teller. Great comedy, great magic, great libertarian rhetoric. What more could you want?

Posted by: Jim Lesczynski at December 1, 2006 at 11:10 am

While on your trip to Scotland, may I sugest taking a look for this at one of the friendly neighborhood record stores?

Posted by: Alceste at December 1, 2006 at 11:12 am

Oh, and be sure to read “Malice’s Restaurant” before deciding whether your really want to patronize Rao’s:

Posted by: Jim Lesczynski at December 1, 2006 at 11:23 am

um so what are the Scotland odds currently? I did see Jarvis (well, the c.d.) in the record shop today, just so you know :-)

Posted by: Steff at December 1, 2006 at 11:48 am

Thanks for all the advice, guys!
Jason, looking forward to playing with you again. I hope the missus will be joining you.
Steff, Scotland is still at 65%. How Vegas goes is a big factor.

Posted by: Karol at December 1, 2006 at 2:24 pm

My wife really liked the Liberace Museum, if that helps!
We’re not gamblers, but somehow we got there because I had a business trip (yeah, really!). At the time, my oldest son was eight months old, and you are not allowed to gamble in the presence of a child, even one sleeping in a stroller. The Venice and Bellagio are interesting to see, very nucely decorated. Just seeing how these places are made up is a lot of fun. The downtown area has (or had) a cool light show after dark.
If you get a little outside of Vegas, there’s the Ethel M chocolate factory and Hoover Dam to visit. I’ve done the latter one and it’s an interesting tour.
Foodwise, I wasn’t impressed with anything on the Strip. Ask locals for other suggestions.

Posted by: Ron at December 1, 2006 at 9:48 pm

I would sooner go to a Pizza Hut in Vegas than to Rao’s. At least at the Pizza Hut I’d be getting the authentic “Pizza Hut experience.”
What is the point to going to Rao’s when you can get a reservation with a phone call?

Posted by: Charles at December 2, 2006 at 4:19 pm

Sin city
Please don’t take
My lover’s heart, for mine will break
It’s no Pittsburg