November 29, 2006

Oh Sanks G-d

Bill Frist not running for president.

I know a lot of poker players that were going to make his life miserable on the trail for his insistence on the dumb inclusion of an anti-online gambling provision in a port security bill. To me, that’s Frist’s legacy. Sad, too, I had such high hopes for the doctor.

Posted by Karol at 07:48 AM |
Comments

Good. Frist tried to be both a presidential candidate and the leader of the Senate and he failed at both. His flip flopping on stem cells angered conservatives and his subsequent attack on online poker and his somehow knowing more about Ms. Schiavo’s condition than her doctors by watching a video for an hour reeked of a desperate attempt to placate them. Even with Allen done and Romney a tough sell, there was no place for Frist in the 2008 field. Frist’s leadership in the Senate proved so poor that it made the GOP long for the days of Trent Lott which is exactly why he’s back.

Posted by: Von Bek at November 29, 2006 at 11:30 am

“I’m a doctor, Jim, not a viable Presidential candidate!”
Leach loses, now Frist folds.
It must be my birthday.

Posted by: Mark Poling at November 29, 2006 at 1:13 pm

I think it’s funny how much poker players over-estimate their sway; and how a political junkie like you considers this a legacy.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at November 29, 2006 at 3:02 pm

The point is that the American people overwhelmingly elected Republicans, in multiple election cycles, because they felt Republicans were strong in the war on terror. Frist proved that is not so when inserted some retarded pet project sidenote into a serious anti-terrorism ports bill. That is his legacy. He was called upon to be serious and he just wasnt.

Posted by: Karol at November 29, 2006 at 3:16 pm

Every case where anti-Libertarian actions can be tied to negative political consequences is a good thing, for me at least. Poker actually has very little to do with it. (FWIW, I’m at +23 USD in online poker, from an initial investment of $50. Whoop-de-damn-doo.)
Pardon me, but I don’t want to choose between which nanny state I detest less when I go to vote….

Posted by: Mark Poling at November 29, 2006 at 3:31 pm

I’m with Karol.
The poker thing was the last straw for this jackass.

Posted by: W.C. Varones at November 29, 2006 at 11:53 pm

FWIW, I voted Libertarian on my entire ballot because I couldn’t bring myself to vote for a party that actively wants to ban online gambling…and they dare call themselves the party of limited government!
Good job, Frist! You really pissed off a sizeable group of young votes (i.e. those who play poker online) in order to kiss the asses of the uber-religious in this country…what a dumbass!

Posted by: GiovanniAPeters at December 3, 2006 at 12:10 pm

Considering I interned for him…I thought for sure it would be my oppurtunity to work on a presidential campaign. Oh well, I guess he’ll go back to surgery now?

Posted by: J. Mark English at December 6, 2006 at 7:56 pm