November 28, 2006

“I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel, you were talking so brave and so sweet”

I found this really cool blog called “Living with Legends” about living in the Chelsea Hotel, a New York landmark that was home to people like Dylan Thomas and William Burroughs.

I love that place, it always seems so exotic and different from the world outside its doors. I go to Serena, the bar below the hotel, sometimes, but it doesn’t have quite the same vibe.

I mostly go by just to look at the placards outside and try to imagine Leonard Cohen and Janis Joplin on the bed while the limousines wait in the street…

Comments

Can’t help but think of Sid killing Nancy. It’s all that sticks in my head with that place. Great bar though. It still has that allure.
Want to get drunk and screw there sometime?

Posted by: Ren at November 28, 2006 at 3:42 pm

Yeah, I use to have a romantic vision of the Chelsea, too. Then I read it had turned into a junkie hotel. I assume it has been cleaned up.
Want to get drunk and screw there sometime?
Wow! An offer you can’t refuse!

Posted by: jay at November 28, 2006 at 3:45 pm

Wow! An offer you can’t refuse!
Oh, I think I can. :-)

Posted by: Karol at November 28, 2006 at 3:52 pm

“I’m writing you now just to see if you’re better
New York is cold, but I like where I’m living, There’s music on Clinton Street all through the evening.”
Fried foods and hot beverages. Please?

Posted by: trippypoet at November 28, 2006 at 4:30 pm

Fried foods and hot beverages. Please?
That’s a much more likely offer. ;-)

Posted by: Karol at November 28, 2006 at 4:33 pm

I have nothing to contribute to this discussion.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at November 28, 2006 at 4:46 pm

I have nothing to contribute to this discussion.
Not even a desription of the ceilings of every flea bag hotel in the 5 burroughs???

Posted by: jay at November 28, 2006 at 4:51 pm

“try to imagine Leonard Cohen and Janis Joplin on the bed while the limousines wait in the street…”
Now there’s an image I can do without!

Posted by: Marco at November 28, 2006 at 6:13 pm

Why, Marco?
Limousines, shiny under the rain, an apparition from a different world, silently waiting, like black torpedoes in murky and noisy waters of Chelsea…
I think it’s a beautiful image.

Posted by: Tatyana at November 28, 2006 at 8:11 pm

It’s a line from the song Chelsea Hotel #2, Marco. Blame Leonard Cohen for the imagery.

Posted by: Karol at November 28, 2006 at 9:03 pm

Ethan Hawke directed a film which was released in 2001, entitled, “Chelsea Walls.”
It was an attempt to capture—or recreate—that ambiance, or romanticism of the Chelsea.
It’s an ensemble cast, including Kris Kristofferson, Robert Sean Leonard, Vincent D’nofrio, and others.
Jeff Tweedy, the auteur of Wilco, does the music for it.
You might want to rent it out of interest, though, I’ll warn you ahead of time, nothing much ‘happens,’—the plot is mostly episodic—and not many of the characters are especially sympathetic or even interesting.
The cinematography is artsy, though.

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at November 28, 2006 at 9:29 pm

This reminds me of the time my old suitemate Crazy Mego (the one who seriously thought we lived IN the world and not ON it) dressed up like a papier mache kickboxer and hooked up with a garbage man at a club in Chelsea. Not that you look like you’re about to indulge in some heavy petting with the New York Sanitation Union, but…you know.

Posted by: E.E. Grimshaw at November 29, 2006 at 11:50 am

Dee Dee Ramone sometimes lived in the Chelsea Hotel and wrote a book called Chelsea Horror Hotel: A Novel, where he could talk to his dog all the while trying to buy drugs.
Jay: Like NYC, the Chelsea has changed and cleaned up. I suggest spending a weekend there just so you can say “I slept there”. Ask for the room that has bugs crawling in it — they’ll know. It’s not the Four Seasons, but it’s has a certain un-charming charm to it.

Posted by: TC at November 29, 2006 at 12:27 pm

Have walked past it many times.

Posted by: Jeremayakovka at November 29, 2006 at 4:13 pm

“Chelsea morning”; one of Joni Mitchell’s best. Also the song the Clintons named their daughter after.

Posted by: bryan at November 29, 2006 at 8:41 pm