November 28, 2006

Abortion is bad

More women have abortions as it loses stigma says the head of Britain’s leading abortion agency [via Drudge]

I feel like I’ve heard that somewhere before…

Posted by Karol at 08:15 AM |
Comments

Frankly, I wish there was more of a stigma to having a child out of wedlock. I blame Jennifer Anniston.

Posted by: jay at November 28, 2006 at 12:55 pm

Bring back the scarlett letter and brand them all on the forehead, I say.
Jay, I’m not sure which Jennifer you’re thinking of, but even garner got the wedding ring before the birth.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at November 28, 2006 at 1:48 pm

I was referring to the Friends character.
Bring back the scarlett letter and brand them all on the forehead, I say.
Good suggestion!

Posted by: jay at November 28, 2006 at 2:24 pm

And more women used birth control as it lost stigma, too.
So what?

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at November 28, 2006 at 4:49 pm

I consider abortion bad and birth control not bad. That’s what.

Posted by: Karol at November 28, 2006 at 4:52 pm

I don’t remember abortion being much of a stigma in Great Britain. They’re not predominately Catholic. I also remember Alfie coming out in the 1960 s.

Posted by: jay at November 28, 2006 at 4:52 pm

Oh, they’re not predominantly Catholic. Ok then. WTF?

Posted by: Dave Munger at November 28, 2006 at 6:39 pm

Haven’t abortion rates in the U.S. been more or less going down at the same time though? The actual survey question was whether abortion should be legal up to 24 weeks, with which I think a (slight) majority of folks in the U.S. would still agree, so I am not sure if lack of “stigma” (or an increased lack of stigma) alone can be the cause for the rise in the abortion rate in the U.K. (And looking at the graph, up during Thatcher, down or flat during Major and then up again during Blair – almost a reverse correlation for those matching abortion rates against the economy/poverty.)

Posted by: Alceste at November 29, 2006 at 11:43 am

I don’t think this kind of thing can be taken in isolation. By all sorts of measures British society is becoming less civilized – the Blairites are trying to hold it all together by constructing a police state, but in the end it’s probably futile.

Posted by: Eric at November 29, 2006 at 6:22 pm

Eric:
Guess what — fundamentalist Muslims hate abortion and have tons of kids (who’ll soon be voting), so that bit of “civility” might return sooner than you hope.
Politics makes strange bedfellows.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at November 30, 2006 at 2:31 pm

um i feel that u guz r gay

Posted by: Anonymous at December 7, 2006 at 8:40 am

and u guz smell like baby shit

Posted by: Anonymous at December 7, 2006 at 8:41 am