October 31, 2006

Spend your pounds elsewhere

The United Kingdom has hired Al Gore to sell the environment thing to us American rubes. Which is funny, because he’s been selling that story to us for years, for free.

And, while it’s cute that Britain is trying to impose their ideas on us, their choice of messenger is actually a little odd: short of the far left, who are likely to have already swallowed the whole ‘the world is ending and it’s all your fault’ scenario peddled by Gore, the rest of Americans are unlikely to pay him much mind. This is the guy who lost election from the incumbent party, in peacetime with a good economy–we don’t exactly hang on his every word.

Via Ben Smith.

Posted by Karol at 12:03 AM |
Comments

I think sadly Gore is a bit more influential than you might think. He did win the popular vote after all and there’s probably more than a bit of buyer’s remorse consdidering the low esteem the American people hold Bush in. If anything, this means that Gore will not jump in the waters for 2008.
I think it’s a disgrace that any American offical would take money from another country. This is nothing new (look at how England was playing Arthur Vandenberg and the Nazis Borah before the war) but it seems to be pretty common in recent times with the rise of the Saudis and AIPAC.

Posted by: Von Bek at October 31, 2006 at 12:21 pm

Al Gore is now a paid agent of a foreign country. They have sent him back to the US to destroy our economy and cause mass unemployment.
Sounds like terrorism to me.

Posted by: Jake at October 31, 2006 at 12:24 pm

I find Gore’s sing song voice and condescension when he is speaking to others repulsive. Not a great choice for spokesman for anything.

Posted by: jay at October 31, 2006 at 2:06 pm

Von Bek,
While it’s true Gore won the popular vote in 2000, I would be surprised if he polled anywhere close to that today. Based on the way he speaks, outside of environmentalists I don’t think he’s got much support even among Democrats.

Posted by: Eric at October 31, 2006 at 2:51 pm

I hope you’re right though it may matter who he was running against. I think the American people had a lot more affection for Bush than they do now. But here is what I always tell myself. If Mike Dukakis can get 46% of the vote and the equally charmless John Kerry can get 48% of it…..well the Dems are often in the ballgame, even with a mediocre candidate. I think, whatever his flaws, Gore was a better candidate than either of those two men from the people’s republic of Mass.

Posted by: Von Bek at October 31, 2006 at 3:02 pm

Von Bek, Gore is no longer an American Official. I don’t think he currently has any job in the US government.

Posted by: PAUL at October 31, 2006 at 4:48 pm

Point well taken but he retains influence. I do not think it was right, for example, for Sen. Fulbright or Sec. Rogers to work for the Saudis after their terms of office.

Posted by: Von Bek at October 31, 2006 at 4:53 pm

Wow! That’s a pretty low bar. Sure, stack him up against Kerry and he looks animated. But I’d bet money Bush could beat him again in 2008 if Bush were allowed to run.
There is enough video of Gore screaming into a microphone with red face and veins throbbing I think he would lose to pretty much any Republican likely to get the nod. He just doesn’t look the part anymore.

Posted by: Eric at October 31, 2006 at 4:54 pm

There was plenty of footage of Sonny Bono screaming into microphones and he was still elected to Congress.
Ba-Da-Dum!

Posted by: Marco at October 31, 2006 at 6:10 pm

I’m curious, who else besides the UK uses pounds?

Posted by: Shawn at November 1, 2006 at 9:58 pm