October 31, 2006

I support the troops, I just think they’re stupid and lazy.

“You know, education, if you make the most of it, if you study hard and you do your homework, and you make an effort to be smart, uh, you, you can do well. If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.” – John Kerry

Michelle Malkin and Hot Air are all over this story.

Peter’s brother is in Iraq right now. He is a smart, educated guy who made a choice to join the Navy after 9/11, knowing that he would likely be sent to the Middle East, wanting to fight for his country.

On his behalf, and on the behalf of his brothers serving with him, risking their lives while John Kerry is for the Iraq war (pre-election 2004), then against the Iraq war (primary 2004), then for the Iraq war again (general election 2004) and against it again (now) and plays politics with the war’s funding (voted for it before he voted against it, don’tya know), I’m appalled that this man could’ve been president. His comments are vile and should be spread far and wide, so that our military men and women know what the last Democratic candidate for president really thinks of them.

UPDATE: John McCain makes an excellent demand for an apology:

“Senator Kerry owes an apology to the many thousands of Americans serving in Iraq, who answered their country’s call because they are patriots and not because of any deficiencies in their education. Americans from all backgrounds, well off and less fortunate, with high school diplomas and graduate degrees, take seriously their duty to our country, and risk their lives today to defend the rest of us in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere. They all deserve our respect and deepest gratitude for their service. The suggestion that only the least educated Americans would agree to serve in the military and fight in Iraq, is an insult to every soldier serving in combat, and should deeply offend any American with an ounce of appreciation for what they suffer and risk so that the rest of us can sleep more comfortably at night. Without them, we wouldn’t live in a country where people securely possess all their God-given rights, including the right to express insensitive, ill-considered and uninformed remarks.”

UPDATE: Kerry is completely losing the plot. Claims rightwing is lying about him…except it’s on video, jackass.

Comments

Kerry’s an idiot (though I suspect Jonah Goldberg-btw is he an unpatriotic conservative now that he is questioning the war?-and the Hotline are right in thinking that Kerry was trying to imply that Bush was an idiot and not the soldiers in Iraq and that he mangled it badly).
I don’t think this is going to be the great turnaround for GOP hopes a week from today.
God bless Peter’s brother and the other men and women who serve our nation.

Posted by: Von Bek at October 31, 2006 at 1:24 pm

John Kerry Responds by Blaming

Republicans for his

Posted by: American Pundit at October 31, 2006 at 1:31 pm

Or you could not study in college, get bad grades and end up as Senator from Massachusetts. From that moment on, you are condemned to doing nothing useful with your life.

Posted by: Jake at October 31, 2006 at 1:34 pm

Two things are clear: (1) Kerry was referring to Bush, not the troops; (2) Kerry should stop trying to speak colloquially or with humor. He is horrible at it. Speaking, that is. *sigh*

Posted by: Charles at October 31, 2006 at 1:43 pm

It makes no sense that he was speaking about Bush. None.

Posted by: Karol at October 31, 2006 at 1:49 pm

I think everyone in the universe acknowledges that Bush mangles his words from time to time, why not Kerry ? “Stuck in Iraq.” Well that’s pretty much where the Bush presidency is right now and why his approval is stuck at 37% and why it’s hurting a lot of Republicans, some bad ones like Chaffee and some good ones like Santorum (despite his darlin Arlen). Look, I’d like to say it was Bush’s betrayal of American conservatism on immigration and big government that has undermined his presidency but I suspect it is Iraq which is holding Bush down. This isn’t coming from Manhattan. This is coming from real America.
And yes things are looking desperate. The House is pretty much a gonner. I think we can already start with the eulogies for Santorum, Dewine, and Lincoln Chafee and I think Burns is pretty much on the ropes. The governorships of Mass, New York, Arkansas, and Colorado already appear to be in the Dem basket and there are now whispers that Nevada, Idaho, Florida and Minnesota are starting to look closer than expected. A week from now isn’t going to be very pretty for Republicans or conservatives (since you know the media will spin it as go the left and the McCains and Rudys will oblige).

Posted by: Anonymous at October 31, 2006 at 2:01 pm

What ever Kerry’s intent, his words make him sound like he is referring to anyone in the arm services. He should just suck it up and apologize for crissakes.

Posted by: jay at October 31, 2006 at 2:04 pm

Whoops, that was me up there. In the future I should have compared 2006 to the offyear elections in 1874 or 1882 or 1890 or something to make sure if it happens again, you know its from the grumpy old troll under the bridge eating the billygoats.

Posted by: Von Bek at October 31, 2006 at 2:04 pm

Jay – agreed. Though it should be a non-apology apology. (”I’m sorry that my words came out so awkwardly…” etc.)
Karol – So you think the reading that makes sense is a candidate for national office calling our troops a bunch of ‘tards? He is pandering by referring to the Yale/HBS graduate as a lackluster student and thinker.

Posted by: Charles at October 31, 2006 at 2:09 pm

“He should just suck it up and apologize for crissakes.”
Anyone who has paid attention to Kerry realizes that he is never, ever wrong. Sometimes people lie to him. Sometimes he does things, and then doesn’t (or even didn’t) do them. But make a mistake?
Nope.

Posted by: Mark Poling at October 31, 2006 at 2:22 pm

One bit of consolation to be taken if the Republicans do lose one or both Houses, Karol, is that as Kerry and Gore show, increased visibility for prominient Democrats tends to result in increasing popular contempt.
Pelosi is going to be a marvel to behold in that regard. Harry Reid promises to be only marginally less entertaining.
And with any luck (for the Republicans at least) Kerry (with help from the Kos Crowd, natch) will give Hillary! a run for her money in ‘08.
If I didn’t believe that we are in a historically critical period right now, this stuff might be amusing.

Posted by: Mark Poling at October 31, 2006 at 2:30 pm

I hope you prove right Mark but what really bothers me will be a new crop of Democratic governors, fresh faces so to speak who can reinvigorate the party. I’m thinking Patrick, Spitzer, Ritter, Beebe and Hatch in particular who will make good companions to the like of Sebelius, Bredesen, Kaine, Easley and Napolitano. That’s a pretty solid bunch of governors. There are very few Republican governors to be excited about besides Ah-nuld and Sanford.

Posted by: Von Bek at October 31, 2006 at 2:35 pm

I’ve just read just about everything about this. I’m sorry, there is no way Kerry means Bush. He’s talking to students, no way is he telling them “if you don’t work hard you may become president”. He definitely is insulting our troops. No amount of spin will change that.

Posted by: Karol at October 31, 2006 at 3:29 pm

Karol i think they mean that he is saying if you are uneducated and still make pesident then you will be dumb enough to get us stuck in Iraq. However i do agree with you and he {Kerry} called our military dumb. I can’t figure out how anyone who is dumb could do anything our military does do though. I am still chuckling over this and i hope this gets across to ALL military families and friends – i know i am doing my part to inform those i know.

Posted by: sara at October 31, 2006 at 3:44 pm

I think Jonah Goldberg over at The Corner gets it exactly right:

I don’t think Kerry meant to insult America’s military (which doesn’t mean he didn’t insult them). What he doesn’t realize is that his reflexive Vietnam era talking points get him into trouble because

Posted by: Mark Poling at October 31, 2006 at 3:56 pm

I think it is safe to assume that whenever Kerry speaks, he is insulting Bush. You think it is safe to assume that whenever Kerry speaks he meant whatever cockamamie thing will be most politically damaging to Kerry.
Read as much as you want but you have to “do your homework” AND “make an effort to be smart.” Za-zing!

Posted by: Charles at October 31, 2006 at 4:00 pm

Uhm….then maybe you need to read the Hotline again (http://hotlineblog.nationaljournal.com) :
“Do Republicans really believe that Kerry wasn’t talking about Pres. Bush? (We believe that Kerry was referring to Bush because he’s used a similar formulation in our presence before and quite clearly meant to call Bush a dummy.)”
Kerry, God help us all, is running again. It makes no sense for him to deliberately attack the troops a week before what appears to be a very strong Democratic election day.

Posted by: Von Bek at October 31, 2006 at 4:07 pm

As for why Kerry won’t come out and straightforwardly admit what he meant (instead of stupidly attacking people who point to his, um, literal words), it is because he is a gutless moron. Kerry lacks the guts to directly say that he called Bush dumb or unwilling to learn from history or his own mistakes or whatever formulation he wants to use.
This inability or refusal to back up his own decisions and statements is why he will never, ever be President.

Posted by: Charles at October 31, 2006 at 4:11 pm

I think this kind of statement is a window to the man’s thoughts. He’s stuck in 1968, thinking the infantry is full of draftees, minorities, morons, and poor people. It’s not any of those things in 2006. The modern infantry is volunteer, white, and has above-average intelligence and income.
It’s not that he mispoke. It’s just that he’s usually around people who won’t challenge this kind of statement.
A serious run for president by Kerry would be a generous gift to Republicans.

Posted by: Eric at October 31, 2006 at 4:48 pm

Remember that old Kids In the Hall skit where they keep yelling to the guy who’s getting his ass kicked, Stay Down!? That’s how I see Kerry right now. Stay Down! (aka shut up!)

Posted by: jay at October 31, 2006 at 6:54 pm

Thank You Mr. Kerry

I’m far from a political expert so I don’t know how much, if any, impact this will have on the elections however I have a hope.

Posted by: Right Moment at October 31, 2006 at 10:01 pm

It’s funny how Kerry, time and time again, says one thing and then explains, after the fact, that he meant something else altogether (see also: Damage Control). He chose those words in speaking to students knowing that the campus feelings toward the war in Iraq are hostile, and that CA (and other) colleges are hostile toward military recruiters on campus. He appeals to these anti-military college kids’ beliefs that they’re smarter than their peers who volunteer to serve their country. This may be about Bush by proxy, via our military, but that’s the problem; he uses a loaded attack that manages to insult both, and in doing so, insults the country.

Posted by: Dino at October 31, 2006 at 10:04 pm

Is Kerry reffering to all the officers proudly serving over here as well? “Stuck in Iraq” he said, nice. I know first hand that I am not “stuck in Iraq”. I proudly put my boots on everyday for people back home so they can sleep soundly. We get blown up by IED’s/landmines, have mortar attcks, and the snipers are getting good over here. Just about everyday. It pisses me off to hear politicians bad mouth the situation over here. I have lost 4 damn good brothers. 2 in my own arms. People will NEVER understand what we go through everyday! It even makes me sick to my stomach that Kerry and I are considered “shipmates”. God Bless our great nation! Please keep praying for the ones still in harms way thoughout the world! Semper Fi

Posted by: freedom doc at November 1, 2006 at 9:37 am

Freedom Doc,
Did you guys get this news in Iraq? What is the reaction?

Posted by: Karol at November 1, 2006 at 11:04 am

We don’t pay attention to the media since they do not show both sides of the story. Have you seen Marines going door to door looking for insurgants while delivering candy out of a Halloween basket on CNN? I did with my own eyes. You could always check out patdollard.com He worked with a big name director and gave up his life in Hollywood to make a documentary on life over here. I have not seen the website myself, but read about it. Keep on doing good things with your website!

Posted by: freedom doc at November 1, 2006 at 11:43 am

I dunno, most of those guys are stuck in Iraq. You don’t find many veterans coming back from Iraq and running on a pro-Iraq war platform.

Posted by: David at November 1, 2006 at 11:45 am

Maybe because they’re too busy re-enlisting?

Posted by: Marco at November 1, 2006 at 12:41 pm

David, it stands to reason that some veterans who don’t think the Iraq War was a good idea would come back and run for office on an anti-war platform. They’re motivated, they’ve got credibility, and they have opportunity.
It also stands to reason that those soldiers who do think the Iraq Was/Reconstruction is a good idea are [a] still serving or [b] unmotivated to shake things up or [c] from districts where no opportunity exists (which is far too many districts anyway due to gerrymandering, but that’s another rant….)
Should the Democrats take one or both houses of Congress this year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see a bunch of young Republican vets campaigning for various offices in 2008. As a matter of fact, I really hope that happens. As a pure pixel pusher, I can honestly say I’d love to see the influence of pure pixel pushers decrease in favor of those who’ve served, regardless of political orientations.
Elect a vet or elect a lawyer; the choice isn’t hard. (Sorry Dawn….)

Posted by: Mark Poling at November 1, 2006 at 1:43 pm

Here’s a hint, David:
Most of us who have been to Iraq are so disgusted at the thought of becoming a politician, we’d avoid it like anthrax.
The rest campaign as Democrats…

Posted by: Mike the Marine at November 1, 2006 at 3:16 pm

So Kerry said one thing but really meant to say something else. What he actually said makes him an Ass. And since he insulted the nations military even if by accident he should apologize.
Saying what he said makes him an ass, not apologizing for it makes him an idiot.

Posted by: PAUL at November 1, 2006 at 4:13 pm

I support the troops, but I think you’d stupid and lazy.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at November 1, 2006 at 5:42 pm

Note to liberal/Democrat readers of Alarming News: Anybody but this clown for your party’s nominee in 2008. Get the netroots working for someone else.

Posted by: Shawn at November 1, 2006 at 9:53 pm