October 30, 2006

All Hallow’s Eve

One of the guys from the fabulous film site Cinema Strikes Back hosted a horror movie night at his place last night.
I was able to attend for the last two, “Nightmare on Elm Street, Part I” and “Friday the 13th, Part I”. I found Nightmare to be a better movie–the girl was hotter, Johnny Depp wore a belly shirt and it was just campy and fun. However, I found Friday the 13th to be much scarier, mostly because it’s more realistic than some dead guy killing teenagers in their dreams (although, when you find out the killer at Camp Blood is a middle aged woman, the fear factor decreases by a lot).
My brother, who is 5-years younger than me, used to be terrified of Freddy and was unable to sleep for months after watching Nightmare. And one of the guys watching the films last night said that the last scene in Friday the 13th, the one with Jason in the water, haunted him for a long time when he was a kid.
So, audience participation: Which of these two did it for you when your parents were down the hall and you knew Freddy or Jason was coming to get ya?

Posted by Dorian at 09:07 AM |
Comments

I can’t watch horror movies, in general. I end up not being able to sleep.

Posted by: AmerPun at October 30, 2006 at 1:53 pm

Neither of these guys really put much fear in me. Now Henry Kane from Poltergeist II and III, that guy kept me up.

Posted by: Von Bek at October 30, 2006 at 2:03 pm

We don’t watch horro movies or read posts about them.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at October 30, 2006 at 2:10 pm

Halloween and The Thing (remake), both by John Carpenter. They scared the buh-jeezus out of me as a kid.

Posted by: ccs178 (Chris) at October 30, 2006 at 2:11 pm

The clown in Poltergeist. I couldn’t look under my bed without feeling some fear until high school.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at October 30, 2006 at 2:22 pm

the old Texas Chain Saw Massacre is the one that gave me the most willies and sleepless nights, but between Freddie and Jason i must say Freddie was the scariest. There was enough in the older horror films that was unrealalistic that they were fun to watch, now they are too gorry and real.

Posted by: sara at October 30, 2006 at 2:50 pm

Actually, forget the “when I was a kid” stuff, anything starring Nicole Kidman still gives me nightmares. Don’t ask me why.

Posted by: Mark Poling at October 30, 2006 at 3:06 pm

That scene from Nightmare with the girl in the bloody body bag in the high school hallway, that really creeped me out when I was a kid.

Posted by: Marco at October 30, 2006 at 3:15 pm

I agree with Chris: the original “Halloween” was much scarier than the NOES or FT13 originals. Especially when Jamie Lee Curtis is crying, and Michael suddenly does a sit-up in the background…
There are two films that really, really creep me out: the old silent film “Nosferatu” and the 1979 “Salem’s Lot” (especially when the boy came back for his little brother!). The “Salem’s Lot” novel was a bit campy, and funny when the father jumped down on the boy’s coffin and started swearing.
I guess it was always vampires for me. Mass murderers are just a matter of having superior firepower, reflexes and will. Supernatural forces, though… Oh yeah, and then one day I was trying to prove to someone that babies once in a great while are born with teeth (as I was), and I found out that certain Eastern European folklore says such people come back from the dead as vampires. So when I die, drive a stake through my heart, stuff garlic in my mouth, and cut off my head. :)

Posted by: Perry Eidelbus at October 30, 2006 at 3:17 pm

Night of the Living Dead scared me more than slasher movies.
They’re coming to get you, Barbara!

Posted by: Ed Z at October 30, 2006 at 3:38 pm

An Inconvenient Truth. Al Gore is just so scary!!!!

Posted by: Craig at October 30, 2006 at 3:41 pm

Question: How do you tell Al Gore from a zombie? (And come to think of it, add a couple of well-placed bolts and Kerry becomes a shoe-in for a certain stitched-together literary figure…)

Posted by: Mark Poling at October 30, 2006 at 3:55 pm

…Or instead of “shoe-in” (size 24EEE, I would think) the better cliche might have been “dead ringer”.
Happy Halloween!

Posted by: Mark Poling at October 30, 2006 at 4:03 pm

Rosie O’Donnell on “The View” = scary !

Posted by: BadBoyInASuit at October 30, 2006 at 11:18 pm

I never saw Friday the 13th. Nightmare on Elm Street though – loved them. I didn’t think they were scary…I thought they were hilarious.
That said, I’ve never really been into horror movies. I thought Hellraiser was scary, and Poltergeist was nasty.
The movies that really scared me as a kid: Disney movies. That witch in Sleeping Beauty was pure nightmare fuel, in my opinion.

Posted by: meep at October 31, 2006 at 5:02 am