August 31, 2006

That’s us! That’s us!

From an article in the Wall Street Journal on guest-blogging:

At the same time, the guest blogger can’t follow a script or act like a substitute teacher who regurgitates the lesson, says Ms. Gelman. Without some creativity or flavor from the new writer, postings sound stale. “Not all voices are created equal,” notes Aaron Adams, an information technology consultant from Missouri who reads nearly 20 blogs a day. “Some guest bloggers don’t do much more than just keep the light on. They’re not as interesting or as stimulating.”

Michelle Malkin, host and namesake of a political blog, recruited guest writers carefully when she decided to take her first vacation in several years. All four replacements had a “similar vibe” to her own, says Ms. Malkin. Two of the guest bloggers were well-versed in subjects popular in the news at the time and the other two were friends whose work she admired.

A slice of Ms. Malkin’s audience didn’t take to the guest bloggers. She chalked that up to a “fickle” bunch who prefer her work as a syndicated columnist. But overall the guest bloggers held readers’ attentions, says Ms. Malkin. During the week she was gone, hits averaged around 140,000 a day, down from about 200,000 before she went on vacation. Last week, before she eased back into posting, her average daily visitor tally dipped below 120,000. The numbers didn’t faze Ms. Malkin. “For the dog days of August, they did tremendously well,” she says of her fill-ins.

Posted by Karol at 07:51 AM |
Comments

I’m interested to hear what Ken has to say on this subject.

Posted by: dan the Democrat at August 31, 2006 at 11:07 am

Oh me too.

Posted by: Karol at August 31, 2006 at 11:31 am

The only consolation here is that they didn’t actually use your name–then again, having your name attached to an 80,000 person drop in readership ….
Another difference between guest bloggers and substitute teachers? Substitute teacher get paid.
Okay, that’s just mean. And the truth is, it’s not about Michelle Malkin’s guest bloggers. I rarely read Malkin. But I come here every day and I come here to read (and snark at) Karol, which isn’t easy to do if all she’s posting is “Look, I’m guest blogging at Michelle Malkin’s site.” Actually, that’s a lie, I guess. Those posts made it really easy to snark.
I’m so confused.

Posted by: Ken at August 31, 2006 at 12:40 pm

“Two of the guest bloggers were well-versed in subjects popular in the news at the time and the other two were friends whose work she admired.”
So which category were you in?

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at August 31, 2006 at 4:43 pm

You’ve always been confused, Ken.
And that’s a good question, Joe. I guess the former? I don’t really have any work to admire. :-)

Posted by: Karol at August 31, 2006 at 4:54 pm

Hey Karol– I saw that, and I’ve got your back: http://junkyardblog.net/archives/week_2006_08_27.html#005985

Posted by: See-Dubya at September 1, 2006 at 2:10 am

But, but – I saw Mr. Englishman guy had interviewd you for today’s Metro!
And that’s a biiiiig audience, lemme tell’ya.
Congrats.
It felt good to be treated to familiar names in my morning paper. Thank you, Paul and Karol.

Posted by: Tatyana at September 1, 2006 at 11:18 am