August 29, 2006

A post that will be of no interest to anyone

Former Manchester United captain, Roy Keane, becomes manager of Sunderland (my favorite English ‘football’ team)

Posted by Karol at 07:52 AM |
Comments

Better you prove how much you love England than remind us all (again) about how much you heart Michelle Malkin.

Posted by: Ken at August 29, 2006 at 12:42 pm

Well, they will certainly play with emotion from now on, if that was lacking. It remains to be seen if his admirable fire (not to mention his considerable ability to get the most out of a limited set of skills with that fire) will translate into team management. He is the soccer equivalent of baseball’s Pete Rose on the pitch, without the ethical blinders on.

Posted by: Mike at August 29, 2006 at 12:43 pm

You are right. I have absolutely no comment on this development.

Posted by: Jake at August 29, 2006 at 12:49 pm

Yes! Mike gets it! And it’s Scotland I love, you dumb Ken Wheaton, Scotland.

Posted by: Karol at August 29, 2006 at 1:11 pm

Ken, do you ever shut up?

Posted by: PB at August 29, 2006 at 6:51 pm

Roy Keane was a fine player, but he was a hot-head.
He once got booted off of Ireland’s national team as a result of not getting on with the coach.
It remains to be seen if he has the temperament and patience to be an effective manager.
I’ve noticed—particularly among American sports—that when the best players attempt their hand at coaching, they inevitably lack the patience needed to deal with ‘mediocre’ players.
It’s usually the average players who emerge as the better coaches.
Nonetheless, we’ll be rootin’ for ya, Roy.

Posted by: Sean in LA at August 31, 2006 at 3:17 am

Karol, you’re an SMB? Roy Keane can only be an improvement on Niall Quinn, who just wasn’t able to be Chairman and Manager of the club (he said so himself).
My sister lives in Sunderland, but her kids are geordies.

Posted by: bryan at August 31, 2006 at 2:40 pm

Well, it’s not very fancy but basically I became a Sunderland supporter because someone gave me the top, same as how I became a Celtic fan. But I’m loyal, so those will be my teams forever. Geordy kids in Sunderland must have it sort of rough, right?

Posted by: Karol at August 31, 2006 at 2:42 pm

No, they still live with their Geordie (n.b. the ‘ie’) dad, and are now adults (the Sunderland move is a new thing for my sister). The youngest (my only nephew) is about to start studying in Sheffield anyway. My best friend is also a Maccam, but lives in Norfolk, which has to be a double tragedy IMO.

Posted by: bryan at September 2, 2006 at 4:48 pm

My team, btw, is Aston Villa, which has just been bought by an American called Randy Lerner. I hoping he will be an improvement on ‘Deadly’ Doug Ellis, and will maybe feel the need for a footballing cold war with Russian Roman Abramovich, who owns Chelsea (or chelski as it is known).

Posted by: bryan at September 2, 2006 at 4:51 pm

Also in the news; many pubs, unable to afford the

Posted by: bryan at September 3, 2006 at 9:08 pm