July 21, 2006

“Everytime that flag’s unfurled…” (bumped to add pic)

There’s something about America.

As has been noted by many people before, you can move to China and never be Chinese, France and never be French, Brazil…well, you get it. But move to America and a few years later you’re American, just like everyone else.

And so it was 28 years ago today (since this post has been bumped, it’s actually yesterday, July 20th) that my mom and I arrived in the U.S. Five years later we were citizens but almost immediately we were Americans.

I was raised with a strong sense of my unbelieveable luck to end up in America. It would’ve been so easy for that not to have been the case. Today I celebrate that luck and if you live in the greatest country in the history of the world, do join me in that celebration.

Previous anniversary posts:

July 20, 2005

July 20, 2004

July 20, 2003

UPDATE: By, uh, no demand at all, the picture of me getting my citizenship (the story of why I’m on stage with the judge is here):

Young Karol

Comments

Congratulations, Karol!
:0)
I don’t have any such memories-and would probably have to trace my family roots back to the turn of the century to find them-but I do have a lot of friends who do, or who are planning on becoming Americans.
I can’t tell you how many friends from Poland, Canada, or Australia, or New Zealand I have who want desperately to live in this country. One of them is actually planning on enlisting in the U.S. Armed Forces, believe it or not.
Think about that.
Most people conceive of emigrants as refugees or exiles who come here because they are fleeing something-or someone-when there are actually people living in first world, economically vibant, culturally cohesive nations who would still leave their homeland in order to become Americans.
Tens of thousands of them spread throughout the globe.
That was a very moving story.
-good times, G.J.P. (Jr.)

Posted by: Gerard at July 20, 2006 at 5:18 pm

Congrats to you, Karol. Glad you were able to make it here.

Posted by: Samuel J. at July 20, 2006 at 6:02 pm

Even though the New York Times is doing everything possible to make sure you don’t have any more anniversaries, I hope I get to read many more of your anniversary posts.

Posted by: Jake at July 20, 2006 at 9:07 pm

Congrats.

Posted by: Shawn at July 20, 2006 at 9:21 pm

They can’t make us quit!

Posted by: Anonymous at July 20, 2006 at 9:29 pm

Congratulations. Happy Ameriversity. May you have many more.

Posted by: Grayson at July 20, 2006 at 9:47 pm

Happy Ameriversity. :) So happy you and your family are here.

Posted by: Petitedov at July 20, 2006 at 10:14 pm

Congrats Karol from over in the sand where I’m patching up those defending our freedom.

Posted by: Freedom Doc at July 21, 2006 at 1:25 am

Congrats!
Also, what’s great is that one can be an American without even living here (ok, maybe not officially)

Posted by: meep at July 21, 2006 at 7:09 am

“But move to America and a few years later you’re American, just like everyone else.”
A pretty thought and one that I wish was true in this age of political correctness. Nonetheless the fact that there are immigrants like you and your family who embrace our republic offers some hope. The United States, and all of us who know you, are blessed to have you here.

Posted by: Von Bek at July 21, 2006 at 9:10 am

You did come here legally, right? I demand to see some credentials.

Posted by: Jay at July 21, 2006 at 10:27 am

LOL.
Pay-pahrz!
Vare ‘r jour paperz?!
:0)

Posted by: Gerard at July 21, 2006 at 2:52 pm

My god, you are so cute! Your poor cheeks must’ve been pinched endlessly when you were little.
Even though I’m starting to think I imagined you – I’m so damn happy you’re here (wherever here may be).

Posted by: Ari at July 21, 2006 at 6:15 pm

Citizenship Not Required

Karol @ Alarming News celebrates 28 years of being an American….

Posted by: Pajamas Media at July 21, 2006 at 6:19 pm

I dig the velcro shoes!

Posted by: Jason at July 21, 2006 at 7:24 pm

Congratulations Karol! What an adorbable child you were! And you’re beautiful now too!

Posted by: Zelda at July 21, 2006 at 7:34 pm

what a great picture!

Posted by: Anonymous at July 21, 2006 at 7:43 pm

Oh, you’re so cute! Where’s your big 10 lb. Russian hair bow?

Posted by: sam at July 21, 2006 at 7:57 pm

Happy Americanniversary, Karol

On Thursday, Karol celebrated the 28th anniversary of her family’s arrival in America from Russia. She writes: As has been noted by many people before, you can move to China and never be Chinese, France and never be French, Brazil…well, you get it. B…

Posted by: BatesLine at July 22, 2006 at 1:08 am

Awwww. God you must’ve had old ladies tormenting you with your irresistable adorable-ness. But where’d the curls go? x Steff

Posted by: Steff at July 22, 2006 at 5:56 am

Oh and don’t think those frilly socks are going with the pink velcro sneakers – you’ve obviously had a mind of your own from early on! ;-)

Posted by: Steff at July 22, 2006 at 5:59 am

One half of my family ancestors arrived here in America in the 1650’s, and the other during the irish potato famine. I always just took it for granted that I lived in the best damned country in the world, and after 20 years of US navy service in MANY other countries around the world, it just re inforced that feeling. But whenever I read a story like yours I get this “frission” feeling that comes over me to know that there are millions of people who wish for and sometimes realize their dream of becoming an American! After all, every damn one of us in this country is an an immigrant, date of entrance, the only variable. Except for the Native Americans who preceeded us by a few thousand years.
So congratulations on your anniversary and wish you and your family, hundreds more!!

Posted by: Everett R Littlefield at July 22, 2006 at 6:32 am

i dig the socks, man. and the bangs.
congrats!

Posted by: pn at July 22, 2006 at 2:15 pm

That picture *is* cute. lol! You look so proud. Little Karol, home at last. :)

Posted by: sam at July 22, 2006 at 3:27 pm

Rockin’ the velcro sneaks.
Nice.

Posted by: Gerard at July 22, 2006 at 7:17 pm

You are still asking questions the establishment will not answer. Congratulations.

Posted by: Jake at July 22, 2006 at 10:18 pm

Please,call to confirm some details regarding the picture.
Ark.

Posted by: ark at July 23, 2006 at 11:44 am

Congratulations Karol! I often feel that many of our immigrants are better Americans than those of us that had the luck to be born here. Most immigrants are here because they made a decision to be here and are far more appreciative of the freedoms and liberty that many of us take for granted. Someone earlier commented that there are people that are Americans that have never been here. Truer words have never been spoken. May the Goddess of Freedom continue to bless You Karol! Major Bill

Posted by: Major Bill at July 23, 2006 at 9:11 pm

Congratulations!

Posted by: Fallen Sparrow at July 24, 2006 at 10:45 am

[...] here’s the thing about America, and yes I’ve noted this before, after awhile you’re just…American. I could keep a chip on my shoulder forever about [...]

Posted by: The big 3-5 at July 22, 2013 at 5:20 pm

Consumers Used to Laugh about bag – But This Time We laugh at them
new michael kors wallets on sale your best choice for value http://www.engineeredco.com/images/michael-kors-wallets-on-sale/

Posted by: new michael kors wallets on sale your best choice for value at November 22, 2014 at 2:12 am

In the event that The world and bag battle
wholesale michael kors hamilton large red totes black friday wholesale http://www.engineeredco.com/images/michael-kors-outlet-flemington-nj/phwogosh-p-648.html

Posted by: wholesale michael kors hamilton large red totes black friday wholesale at November 22, 2014 at 2:13 am

Thanks, I have recently been looking for details about this subject for ages and yours is the best I have located so far.

Posted by: Air Jordan Spizike vice ntrl grey vivid pink cl grey trb gr for sale at December 6, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Music started playing as soon as I opened this site, so frustrating!
fake louis vuitton key pouch http://www.mamasandmore.com/fake-louis-vuitton-key-pouch-b-9137.html

Posted by: fake louis vuitton key pouch at December 7, 2014 at 3:54 pm