April 28, 2006

When Myth Becomes History (by guest blogger Dorian Davis)

Rolling Stone magazine attacks George W. Bush

The newest cover of Rolling Stone magazine — a cartoon sandbagging President Bush — is a mere appetizer for the seven-course meal of distortion and bile served up by historian Sean Wilentz (The Rise of American Democracy) in his cover story, “The Worst President in History.”

Mr. Wilentz revises history, in the most irresponsible way, with half-truths that his less sophisticated readers will, probably, devour without much second-guessing. This is not simply an attack on President Bush. This is history ripped free of its moorings in logic and reason. In other words, it is a myth.

Posted by Dorian at 12:00 AM |
Comments

I freely admit I have no degree, in fact, I’m a highschool dropout, but I believe that the second most grotesque lie about 20th century literature ever told is that Hunter S. Thompson was “one of the greatest authors America ever birthed” I believe that is an approximate quote from the millenium edition of Time Magazine. The Greatest lie, is Whats-his-ass-monkey-turrets-syndrome-typest that created the “great” novel “ullyses” (spelling doesn’t matter, the author didn’t care either)
I say this for a reason.
The Time reviewer, said he foud “fear and loathing so distastefuly brilliant he couldn’t finish the effort” or some such, and the Times reviewer who put “ulysses” (once again don’t care about the spelling cuz the author didn’t) said “Like most who grant this effort at literary revolution, I lost track, but so many within the circles of literature praise it, that I realized I must be wrong” or some such.
So two of the top 100 of 1,000 are based on information that neither reviewer bothered to finish reading?
Rolling stone is very much behind that. How about this? There’re a lot of Scientologists, how about “greatest theological treatise of the last thousand years is Dianetics, though it is non-sensical, filled with new age, semi-psychological refuse, and built almost exclusively on the profitt method of it’s creator!”
I have read “Fear and Loathing” sucks shit, filled with all kinds of literary methods, aliteration (spelling) the three word repetative meter, and the 1,2,3 syllable epansion, finishing off with a stream of consciousness rant that lasted entire paragraphs (which is a lazy, LAZY method of language) but it was depicted as “journalism.” Only thing Thompson offered to America is now called Jaysen Blair journalism. not Gonzo.
Number one, of the century is, in my opinion, undoubtedly Huck Finn, followed by To Kill a MockingBird, and Stranger, DUNE and last, but most def, not least, Tolkienn.
As far as the Millenium! Poe, wasn’t even on the list, but ulysses was? even though the reviewer who reccommended ulysses admited he never finished the friggen book? How about Milton? how about. . . . .
ARGH ARGH ARGH
Rolling stone is a vote builder, they think they are edgy, and while they might SURVIVE with this kind of “controversy?” people who have ever read a history, particularly “rise and fall of the third reich” can look back in recent years, and know that “bush the worst…” is a PLAY, not an opinion. That friggen guy destroyed any (I’m gonna deliberately dick up a word) “graveritas” he thought he had.
See you as a foot note of derision in 5 years tardfuck. At least you are SO WRONG you get to suffer the humiliation you deserve, Wilentz.

Posted by: wickedpinto at April 28, 2006 at 12:40 am

NOTE: I meant to delete huck finn from the first list. and include it in the second.

Posted by: wickedpinto at April 28, 2006 at 12:43 am

Wilentz is a pretty useless historian, no ifs ands or buts about that. I think crap like “Chants Democratic” is pretty much unreadable and has an audience of a couple dozen.
As I said yesterday, Bush is the Republican LBJ. Big government we will be paying off for decades, check. Endless oversea wars with no clear objectives to victory that the American people have given up on, check. Cities being burned down or washed away, check. Government officals who have lost the respect and affection of the American people who stay around forever with no accountability, check. Great leadership capacities at the start of the term that showed great promise and political victories, check. I don’t think Bush is the worst president in history or even close to it. But, like all presidents in recent times save Reagan, his record remains mixed. While there will always be professional apple polishers (Fred Barnes, come on down !), I think Bush will be hard pressed to crack to the top 10; below Reagan, McKinley, Polk, Ike, Monroe, TR, Jackson, Jefferson, Cleveland, JFK, Truman and the big 3 of George, Abe and Frank.
I have to say that I think a number of the usual suspects in the worst president gang are unfair, namely Harding and Hoover. Hoover did quite a bit more in terms of federal activism that most people think to combat the Depression and FDR’s record was no better until the war came despite more spending. Harding made peace in the Great War, cut back spending, balanced the budget, slashed taxes and saw unemployment drop from 12% to 3% and while there was quite a bit of personal scandal, the Teapot Dome and Vet. scandals were paltry compared to a lot we have seen in recent times. While Harding’s small government, low tax and America first (a term he used heavilly) agenda would be unpopular with leftists of all ranges, from socialists to Trotskycons, real American conservatives can find a lot to like about the Harding years.

Posted by: Von Bek at April 28, 2006 at 7:34 am

My list of “things I’m glad I did” includes: dropped my RS subscription. The slant was killing me!

Posted by: michelle at April 28, 2006 at 11:14 am

Did you notice one of Bush’s many faults is his incompetence in “global population control”?
What a freak?

Posted by: Ronit at April 28, 2006 at 12:09 pm

You’re right, that article is terrible.
Bush is actually much more incompetant and much more insidious than that.
^__^