January 31, 2006

Who didn’t know that Cindy Sheehan would be her usual lunatic self when invited to the State of the Union?

3:22pm:

Cindy Sheehan said she will be part of the live audience during the president’s State of the Union speech to congress Tuesday.

Bay Area Congresswoman Lynn Woosley gave anti-war activist a gallery pass late Tuesday, just hours before the planned State of the Union speech. Sheehan was in Washington to protest the president during his national address, but then came word she was invited to see the speech live.

A spokesman for Sheehan says she decided to accept the invitation two hours prior to the speech. The spokesman also said that Sheehan will be respectful and listen to the address because she is a guest of a member of congress.

9:51pm:

Peace activist Cindy Sheehan was arrested Tuesday in the House chamber after she unfurled an anti-war banner before President Bush’s State of the Union address.

Comments

Bu$h made an excellent speech today….
There’s a saying that we have we’re I’m from
Fool, fool, fool me once…
Can’t..can’t…don’t fool me again…

Posted by: danTHEdemocrat at January 31, 2006 at 10:12 pm

Haha, Republican Dan. It’s actually “‘can’t’ fool me again”.

Posted by: Karol at January 31, 2006 at 10:25 pm

Not that it matters but from what I

Posted by: Scott at January 31, 2006 at 10:27 pm

Not even Sheehan’s chief outlet, Huffington Post, gave her any play. Perhaps even they’re recognizing her as a nutcase.

Posted by: Kevin Walsh at February 1, 2006 at 12:33 am

What banner did she unfurl? Do you even read the articles you link to? She was apparently wearing a anti-war T-shirt. And if you’re proud that your government now arrests people for T-shirt wearing, I feel very, very sad for you.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at February 1, 2006 at 11:10 am

That was a quote from the article, take it up with them.
And, if your people can’t understand that disrupting a presidential address is going to lead to detainment, then I feel very, very sad for you.

Posted by: Karol at February 1, 2006 at 11:33 am

Oohhh….Words on a shirt…so shiny and distracting…I mean poor guy is already up past his bedtime and probably couldn’t even take his nap because he was practicing all the big words in the speech.
shaaa.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at February 1, 2006 at 11:39 am

Again, I know you’re all for disruptions when it’s a Republican president but it really shouldn’t be too much of a shock that any and all outlandish behavior would be squashed at SOTU.

Posted by: Karol at February 1, 2006 at 11:40 am

all outlandish behavior Eh? I don’t care what party the President is of or if it’s a state funeral for our most beloved founding father words on a shirt is not grounds for arrest on government property in the United freaking states of america.
If she’s shouting or blocking aisles or setting shit on fire or running up on stage, maybe even holding a sign that might be blocking some else’s view: fine arrest away; but if she’s just sitting in her assigned seat, wearing clothes that the secret service doesn’t like, she should be left the hell alone.
anything less makes a mockery of our constitution and our supposed values and I call bullshit.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at February 1, 2006 at 11:56 am

I’m surprised Secret Service even let her in in the first place.

Posted by: Jay at February 1, 2006 at 12:29 pm

Is there any doubt–any doubt whatsoever–that she would have been disruptive and distracting?

Posted by: Dorian Davis at February 1, 2006 at 1:06 pm

Dawn – not just that, “it’s a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham.”

Posted by: Yaron at February 1, 2006 at 1:15 pm

NDS–
There is no Constitutional right to attend the State of the Union speech.

Posted by: Dorian Davis at February 1, 2006 at 1:23 pm

Watch it Yaron! I won’t soon forget the outrages I have suffered today…no those outrages will not soon be forgotten. NO NO, I shalln’t forget these outrages.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at February 1, 2006 at 1:25 pm

One, it is the law. If you don’t like it, change it.
Two, the law applies to everyone. The wife of a republican congressman also wore a t-shirt with something like support the troops written on it. She was warned that she was breaking the law, so she got up and left. When Sheehan was advised of the same, she refused to acknowledge the officer and sat there. So, she was arrested, briefly detained and released.
Three, I sincerely doubt the people who are whining about Sheehan would defend the other side pulling a similar stunt and getting away with it.

Posted by: ll at February 1, 2006 at 2:18 pm

I could care less about Sheehan. It’s the principle of thing, why not arrest people for wearing the american flag pin on their ties and jackets, too? That’s a statment.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at February 1, 2006 at 2:40 pm

But not a disruptive one.

Posted by: Karol at February 1, 2006 at 2:41 pm

I still say she just wanted some good looking cop’s hand up her skirt again.

Posted by: ll at February 1, 2006 at 5:32 pm

You cannot protest inside the Capitol building end of story. She is a fuckin idiot for doing it and the senator who invited her should be shot….Damn and I’m a Democrat…….
The disruptive nature of the protest is an interpretation of the Capitol Police and Secret Service. American Flags on the Lapel would not be considered disruptive but say a Swastika on the Lapel would probably get you booted.

Posted by: danTHEdemocrat at February 1, 2006 at 5:47 pm

Okay give Dawn a break, she probably did not know their was a “Capital Building Rule” against that sort of thing when she wrote her comment.
How many of you knew you couldn’t wear messaged t-shirts at the Capital before last night?

Posted by: PAUL at February 1, 2006 at 6:25 pm

No need to change the law or the rules – Capitol Police admitted neither was broken

Posted by: Alceste at February 1, 2006 at 7:14 pm

Hello? What’s that? No response to the Capitol Hill Police apologizing for their idiocy?
Crickets? Yeah. That’s. What. I. Thought.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at February 1, 2006 at 9:02 pm

I love it! The lefturds’ hero Cindy Shitcan was denied entrance to the SOTU BUT A DOG WAS ALLOWED IN!
Is there a difference? Yes. The four legged one was smarter, better behaved and MUCH better looking.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!