January 31, 2006

Democratic response by Governor Tim Kaine

“Rights given by our creator”

“Today, we pray”

“G-d Bless the United States of America”

Have Democrats found G-d? What is going on here?

Comments

Well, he was endowed by his creator with an intrusive eyebrow!

Posted by: Mark at January 31, 2006 at 11:09 pm

What now the Republicans are claiming a monopoly on God and that all democrats are supposed to be godless.
Sheesh, what will i hear next.

Posted by: PAUL at January 31, 2006 at 11:23 pm

Yes Paul, that’s exactly what I meant. Not that it sounded completely foreign to hear a Democrat invoke God (I’ve given up on the dash, I’m not sure it makes sense on a computer screen) so many times. And, I wasn’t sarcastically trying to imply that obviously this guy had seen a poll somewhere telling him to do the God thing.

Posted by: Karol at February 1, 2006 at 12:31 am

Isn’t Kaine generally known as a conservative Democrat?

Posted by: Steve at February 1, 2006 at 12:48 am

I watched the speech and the God stuff did not stick out to me. People are people, some invoke God more than others. I don’t think it’s new that Democrats invoke God. Maybe less over all than Republicans but as I said people are people.
Do you think he was being insincere when he said those things?
Bush has been doing the God thing for a long time, he just watching the polls too?
Even if it’s true, I don’t think it matters if they watch the polls and adjust their speeches accordingly. That’s what politicians do. What matters is that they are sincere.

Posted by: PAUL at February 1, 2006 at 1:26 am

I remember Pelosi spouting scripture after the election. It’s amazing she wasn’t hit by a lightening bolt. lol!
Perusing DU for yuks, I note that the moonbats dislike, well hate is more accurate, Kaine because he is religious. Religious = homophobe in their eyes.

Posted by: ll at February 1, 2006 at 5:19 am

Karol,
Go back to using the dash. It’s very old-school and endearing.

Posted by: Jay at February 1, 2006 at 10:27 am

Democrats clearly have acknowledged that they need to shift strategies (it’s about time!), be prepared for more moderates, conservatives and religious types getting the “conch” for the party. The Kennedy err Kerridy camp is falling all over itself and are out on the fringe of the party….
Enough with the Facist corrupt Republican party we need a new, revamped Democrat(-ic) pary to run this country better than the neo-cons and Dick Cheany.
Dan The Democrat
“It’s not to late for Y’all”

Posted by: danTHEdemocrat at February 1, 2006 at 10:39 am

Karol,
Thank you for giving up on the dash. I find it highly annoying for some reason. And while there are no doubt reasons for using the dash in your own writing, it seems a little strange to be quoting someone who’s speaking and using the dash. After all, the man said god, not gd (however that’s pronounced).

Posted by: Human-Animal Hybrid No. 1 at February 1, 2006 at 11:08 am

HAHN1:
You’re misunderstanding the rationale behind “G-d”.
Imagine if a celebrity said “fuck you” and a magazine printed it as “f— you”.
It’s not changing what was said, just citing it in a manner that the author deems more appropriate.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at February 1, 2006 at 11:32 am

The purpose of the dash, as it was explained to me in Hebrew School, was to never write God’s name on something that could be destroyed. But since this is online, on a screen, I’m not sure that I have to do it here. I always would use the dash when I write, but not sure I need to when I type. Jews, what say you?

Posted by: Karol at February 1, 2006 at 11:34 am

“In a strongly worded rebuttal, angry congressional Democrats state that, because of a scheduling mixup, they missed the President’s speech, but whatever he said, they totally disagree with it, and if they once voted in favor of it, they did so only because the President lied to them.”

Posted by: ccs178 (Chris) at February 1, 2006 at 12:00 pm

I’m not a jew, but when any politician — except Lieberman — says “God,” they mean Jesus — so I don’t think your Hebrew school would have any thoughts on the matter.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at February 1, 2006 at 1:51 pm

Um, Kaine was elected partially because of his image as a devout Catholic. That’s how he got away with being an anti-death penalty pol in Virginia, and an anti-choice democrat.
Also, there are almost no atheists elected in this country.
This is one of your more insulting and uninciteful posts.

Posted by: Sam L. at February 1, 2006 at 4:47 pm

I wasn’t try to incite.

Posted by: Karol at February 1, 2006 at 4:58 pm

I say you cannot write God, according to your interpretation, as this board and it’s messages could very easily be deleted
But, the early Hebrew does not have vowels so essentially by writing GD or YHWH you are essentially writing the name that can potentially be destroyed or erased so writing G_D and writing GOD is the same thing in my opinion.

Posted by: danTHEdemocrat at February 1, 2006 at 5:38 pm

Good God, what’s all this dashes stuff about? Pretty soon, “under God” in the Pledge will become “underscore God.”

Posted by: daniel at February 2, 2006 at 10:59 pm