January 26, 2006

The China Syndrome (by guest blogger Dorian Davis )

China to “strike hard” against rising unrest.

Nice.

Let’s keep propping them up.

Posted by Dorian at 05:47 PM |
Comments

How are we propping them up, again?

Posted by: The Stalwart at January 26, 2006 at 9:06 pm

Yeah, I wouldn’t say we’re propping them up… we’re trading heavily with them, of course, but I’d say that’s the right way to go and ultimately what’s bringing down the regime. The “rising unrest” bit is the real news here – an indication that a growing middle class will only tolerate an oppressive government for so long.
Contrast that with Iraq (or Cuba), where leaders used (or use) sanctions to keep their people helpless and keep their anger focused on the U.S. Sanctions are pretty much the worst foreign policy tool in our arsenal.
There’s nothing like and 8% growth rate (or whatever it is China has) to make people start to question why they’re not having elections like the rest of the world.

Posted by: Yaron at January 26, 2006 at 9:33 pm

Keeping the status quo in Taiwan; recognition of China; most favored nation status.

Posted by: Dorian Davis at January 27, 2006 at 2:25 am

Turning a blind eye while they execute 3,000 people a year, awarding the Olympic Games to Beijing, Google’s craven cave in to the gangster regime’s censorship demands….
Still, their economy is growing at nigh on 10% a year. What can a chap do?

Posted by: The Ink Slinger at January 27, 2006 at 7:10 am

We are feeding them till they explode. Or it could just be my wishful thinking. Hopefully the rapidly growing economy will lead to rampant corruptions and “inequity” that it will lead to civil war. The problem is getting the corruption and unrest to spread to the army and security forces.
Here to an eventful and bloody Chinese New Year.

Posted by: Anh at January 27, 2006 at 8:17 am

I will be in Beijing next month. No worries, I will fix the situation.

Posted by: PAUL at January 27, 2006 at 12:35 pm

Where’s GW the Freedom Cowboy when you need him most?

Posted by: del at January 27, 2006 at 10:21 pm

So, you’re for invading China, Del? Because otherwise I don’t understand your comment.

Posted by: Karol at January 28, 2006 at 4:32 am

I just don’t understand why he wanted freedom for the Iraqis so much, yet he never seems concerned over the billions of people still oppressed by the Chinese government. Why doesn’t he free Tibet while he’s at it. If freedom is his cause, let it ring everywhere.
Personally, he can go. I’d rather stay at home and enjoy some Sunday dim sum.

Posted by: delbrians at January 28, 2006 at 6:13 pm

Well, here’s one clue: Iraq has about 40 million people and China has 1 billion. I can think of about five other relevant differences between the two countries but that’s one to chew over.

Posted by: Yaron at January 29, 2006 at 1:57 am

I never questioned the difference between the two countries. The point is, GW doesn’t really care about freedom, its just his cover.

Posted by: del at January 29, 2006 at 10:57 pm

Del–
His cover for what? A top secret plot to invade the Middle East? Admittedly, Bush has nothing to advance freedom in China, but I’m guessing that it has more to do with the fact that China’s military is several times larger than ours, and threatens to attack our ally, Taiwan.

Posted by: Dorian Davis at January 30, 2006 at 11:13 am

Tough call

Via Alarming News, Reuters reports o…

Posted by: Riding Sun at February 2, 2006 at 11:09 am