December 27, 2005

We are the world: View of different cultures from one Carnival Cruise

Conversations I’ve heard in the last 24 hours:

British blackjack dealer: ‘Oh, you’re from Canada? What’s that like?’
Canadian guy at the table: ‘It’s beautiful, you should come visit, there’s a lot to see.’
American guy at the table: ‘Are you telling me there’s something worth seeing in Canada? You must be joking Where?! Where?!

Same British blackjack dealer as above: ‘…and we don’t get a lot of snow so when we do get it, everything shuts down.’
Same Canadian guy as above: ‘Well, I don’t think that’s because of the snow, everyone knows the British can’t drive.’

Overheard: ‘And they say that if Christopher Columbus traveled through time and visited the new world he had discovered, Dominica would be the only place he’d be able to recognize, they’ve made just about no progress since then.’

Overheard: ‘That table? No, a fat Puerto Rican family sits at that table.’

A man in a turban walks by wearing a t-shirt with a picture of a clock with a peace sign inside. The lettering reads ‘Time for Peace.’ Guy walking by says to his wife: ‘that would be a lot more believeable if I didn’t see the clock and picture it as part of a bomb.’

Comments

is the american guy ronnie?

Posted by: not dawn summers at December 27, 2005 at 9:14 pm

So, are you, or are you not, having a good time?

Posted by: ll at December 27, 2005 at 9:53 pm

The American guy was not Ronnie. You know how polite my brother is, he wouldn’t ever let on that he thought your country was worthless.
And yes, I am having a good time. Can’t really go too wrong with sunshine, water, a casino and my brother nearby, no matter how bad things get.

Posted by: Karol at December 27, 2005 at 10:02 pm

As a Canadian, I’m pretty surprised at the comments that come out of some USians mouths regarding Canada.

Posted by: Mark at December 28, 2005 at 7:15 pm

I was feeling embarrassed at my fellow American’s rudeness until the Canadians were rude themselves. That made me feel better about the whole thing.

Posted by: Karol at December 29, 2005 at 12:57 am

If you think us Brits suck at driving you really need to see the French.
Safety note. The inside of a tank or any object solid enough not to be at risk from collision with an out of control car is the best vantage point.

Posted by: Nick at December 31, 2005 at 1:06 pm

If you think the French are bad drivers, try the Italians.
I thought turbans were worn by sikhs?

Posted by: bryan at January 12, 2006 at 10:20 am

face healing herbs ZAVFEdMjqwGBrb scar reduction cream herbs what is gnc best herbs herbs that cool the body down essential oils blend for penis anti skin sagging essential oils herbs spices for skin healing herbs to reduce blood pressure plants and herbs for headache bulk herbs organic japanese herbs that cool the body down knotweed herbal extracts herbs that can make a man invisible what herbs scar

Posted by: facehealingherbs at July 27, 2010 at 11:02 pm