September 27, 2005

Nothing like news like this from the ole’ high school

This post has been removed. The people in the post have been cleared of all charges and it is unfair to them to keep the post up. I have apologized for writing on the matter before all the information was available and for my snarky tone. Albert and Adelphi deserved better from me.

Comments

That was a real fucking yawn, K. No offense, but is this worth posting to the world?

Posted by: Ren at September 27, 2005 at 3:26 pm

K- I thought it was worth mentioning, considering how much money was “allegedly” taken from our tuition fees when we were attending AA. I hope this story is not true, but if it is, how sad – this is still happening over 10 years later…

Posted by: Georgia at September 27, 2005 at 3:53 pm

At least it’s more dignified chicanery…unlike my own alma mater’s school district, where they had to cancel the last two weeks of school the year of the Columbine tragedy.
You see, they were getting bogus bomb threats in the dozens.

Posted by: Shawn at September 27, 2005 at 4:07 pm

I think it’s worth acknowledging this. Only thing is, I hope that school doesn’t go down the tubes due to his stupidity.

Posted by: Kathy at September 27, 2005 at 6:36 pm

It is sad that you would perpetuate the scandal! The school has a history of impropriety and it is our schoolmate Albert who has helped to restore it! It is no surprize that someone would alledge impropriety against someone who fired them – lets see the proof! You left the disgruntal employee quote out – huh? I have personally recieved several Alumni mailings as I am sure you have too! Although I have chosen not to participate in the Alumni Association, I know it does exist! I think you should exercise a little more judgment when making your very public comments and talking about his personal choices.

Posted by: Jane at September 29, 2005 at 10:50 pm

Jane, what year did you graduate?
While I always liked Albert, and while I would generally believe the best in people, the fact remains that Adelphi has ZERO alumni relations. There has not been a single reunion or any other alumni outreach other than asking for cash. I got the letter that Mr. Stone died several weeks after the funeral. I mean, c’mon. Tell me the money was used for sports equipment or driveway upkeep but alumni relations? Seriously, now.

Posted by: Karol at September 30, 2005 at 12:20 am

I’m an AA grad from the early 80’s. When the school was run by the likes of Dr. Berry, Art Tyner, Russ Bonnano, and Rose Kuchinsky. All those folks were 100% true blue. No Financial Hanky Panky…as the old alums died off on the Board, they were never replaced by people that cared about their Alma Mater. Lets hope that these stories are unture. There were lots of crazy stories out in the late 90’s about violent threats from board members against students.
I hope all were false, but someone needs to rebuild that 143 year old school before it is too late.
I did not even know Phil Stone died until after Mr. B past. That shows you the communication level.

Posted by: Bob at October 9, 2005 at 7:29 pm

February 06, 2006
An apology
Blogs are generally snarky, sort-of biting and most commentary is quite off-the-cuff. I have been guilty of this on several occasions, I’m sure, but I want to apologize for one in particular.
I wrote about my alma mater, Adelphi Academy in Brooklyn, a couple of times. I took it as fact that financial shenanigans had been going on at the school and I kind of made fun of the accused, Albert Corhan. If I should’ve given anyone the benefit of the doubt, it’s him. We were friendly enough in high school and I should’ve believed the best about him for this reason alone. I do want to note that my main reason for believing that something shady was happening with the funds allocated for alumni development is that there is minimal alumni development from Adelphi. There are no reunions or newsletters. There is limited contact from the school. All of this remains true. Still, that doesn’t prove anything and I apologize to Albert and to the school for writing about unsubstantiated charges.
I note all this now because I understand the school is standing by Albert and to me that is indication that I had jumped to some wrong conclusions. I may be proven wrong again, if he is in fact convicted of any offense, but I hope that I’m not, I hope the charges are wrong and that no crimes have been committed. I love Adelphi and want to see it succeed. I’m sorry if anything I’ve written could ever get in the way of that.
Posted by Karol at February 6, 2006 02:32 PM | TrackBack
Technorati Tags: Adelphi+Academy Adelphi+Academy+Albert+Corhan Albert+Corhan
Why did you remove your apology and my comment Karol?

Posted by: truth at June 7, 2006 at 2:08 pm