August 30, 2005

Who are you people?

I thought the flasher story I posted yesterday was a bi-partisan, ‘you go, girl’ kind of situation, where we can all agree that flashing is bad. Reading through the comments the picture-taker is getting, I can see I was wrong. My personal favorites are the ‘you stupid Americans, we Europeans frequently grope ourselves on the metro’ comments:

*Why are you trying to prosecute him?
Did he violate your rights in any way? Do you have a right to avoid seeing things that you don’t like? Do you hate human sexuality? Are you a repressed Christian, is that why you’re doing this?
I don’t know why you feel violated, and why you want to “protect” other women from your experience. He was a man doing what all men do. There’s nothing wrong with that. You and the police that are the only ones here violating rights.

*Not that what this guy did was not distasteful, but really, are you hurt? Were you raped? Hit? Cut? Exposed to disease? “Violated” is terribly strong language for what in the grand scheme of things is nothing at all.

*Why would anyone be thinking about this for a whole week? It’s not traumatising to see a penis, what is she, twelve? has she never seen one before? yeah the guy was beating off at her but you wouldn’t be pissed off and thinking about it for a whole week. If anything you would be telling it to your friends and joking about it.

*So friendly_chic407, when did you realize you were a lesbian?

*My parents were burned at the stake for their non-puritan beliefs. Seriously, until every dog shits in it’s own home then I will proudly condone masturbating in public.

*All this fuss about a man showing his —-?? America is not the world. It happens worldwide with females being the biggest culprits of exhibitionism. Only in America. :-)

*Although I definately agree that what the guy did is unacceptable behavior, I have to say I think this is going a bit overboard. With this being picked up by the media, the guy will be made into a social outcast. That is definitely more damaging than what he did. I’m personally sick of the attitude that it is wrong for someone to do anything you don’t like. Again, I agree that it is innappropriate to do this, but the guy might need a bit of help or counseling, not a cruxifiction. Your actions (posting this on flickr) are, in my opinion, are as reprehensible as his. I’m sure you’ve caused him much more damage than your discomfort. Congratulations….

*ok, see no one would care over here in europe!
so what, he is not hurting anyone, you all need to take the stick outta your asses and stop being so prude!
if you dont like it, GET UP AND MOVE THE FUCK ON, god 40 years ago it would be a picture of a black man on a train, 30 years ago a homosexual, and today a “pervert” give it up….hes just an exibitionist, thats been goin on for years…

*OH MY GOD! THAT GUY HAS A PENIS! WHAT A SENSATION! HE MUST BE JAILED OR – BETTER – HANGED! You, americans, are so fun – “Oh, i was so traumatised, oh i want him to pay my valium bills, oh i can’t ride a subway for 10 years since”. When some of you, fat girls, going around with barenaked bellybuttons (fat) with pubic hair sticking over the pants – THAT is traumatic!

Posted by Karol at 10:41 AM |
Comments

We don’t call ‘em “Eurotrash” without just cause, mind you.

Posted by: Sean at August 30, 2005 at 12:32 pm

Geography’s got nothing to do with it. Some people are just assholes, you see.

Posted by: Jeff Harrell at August 30, 2005 at 1:05 pm

You know, even in Amsterdam I think you’d get arrested for public monkey spanking on the subway. (But I don’t know, because I never saw any. Guess I’m just not good-looking enough….)

Posted by: Mark Poling at August 30, 2005 at 1:08 pm

Ah yes … but if you exposed an Israeli flag on their metros, you’d get an ass-whipping.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at August 30, 2005 at 1:48 pm

if the woman had a gun…errr..stun gun she should have used it.

Posted by: cube at August 30, 2005 at 2:53 pm

i’m so happy i’m american.

Posted by: candy girl at August 30, 2005 at 3:02 pm

Wait, wait, I could live in a welfare state AND masturbate on the subway? What the hell am I still doing here?
Stupid pride…

Posted by: Jay at August 30, 2005 at 3:25 pm

The latest comment:
This kind of behaviour is probably not tolerated by the most, but what about a homeless guy? That actually happened in my country. A couple saw a homeless guy masturbating in the street and warned the cops. The poor guy was arrested and received a fine. Even a homeless guy might feel lonely and wants to touch his crotch and the streets is his home so how should this be dealt with?

Posted by: Karol at August 30, 2005 at 7:00 pm

As long as American girls have big asses to go with their fat bellies, I say, let them flash.

Posted by: Ivan Lenin at August 30, 2005 at 7:39 pm

Subway Flasher Again: Europeans Want To Know What The Big Deal Is

Karol was pretty surprised when she just posted the flasher story and got a lot of heat from our too-cool-for-school European betters. They actually took the “you stupid Americans, how can you be so prudish” line. It’s high school politics,…

Posted by: Ace of Spades HQ at August 31, 2005 at 12:48 am

Travels in bizarro land

Maybe you read about it: A woman is sitting on a subway when she notices a guy is staring at her. Apparently liking what he sees, the guy begins pleasuring himself right in front of God and everybody–all the while staring at the woman. Woman takes photo

Posted by: Red State Rant at August 31, 2005 at 8:29 am

I eagerly await the outpouring of aid for hurricane victims from our European betters. Yeah, me neither.
Hell, let them masturbate on the streets while they can, soon it will be burqas for all.

Posted by: Defense Guy at August 31, 2005 at 9:44 am

Oh who cares what the fu*king nut jobs accross the pond think of us?
For all the relevance they have in todays world it’s a bit like being scolded about trade policy by the government of Bhutan.
Fun to listen to and laugh at, but an entirely pointless experience.

Posted by: Tigger at August 31, 2005 at 12:00 pm

Gotta love the old Europeans.

Posted by: NYgirl at August 31, 2005 at 3:16 pm

Oh come one! I don’t think everyone is reacting to this because of his flashing but the fact that everybody is making such a big deal out of it. Which it isn’t. Yes it is nasty and yes I do think he should be fined for flashing. But some of those comments want his balls chopped off.
And in Amsterdam you can’t flash either. The comment you cite Karol happend in Groningen in the north of Holland. And altough some people might found him sad, the majority definately found it appropriate he got arrested.
And for those of you that have never been to Amsterdam, I can assure you wholehartedly that you wouldn’t have any problem with having or wearing a Israeli flag in Amsterdam. A reason for this could also be the fact that Ajax is a “jewish” football club, but that is another matter entirely!

Posted by: Vincent at September 1, 2005 at 7:41 am

Well, on behalf of “repressed Christian”s everywhere, I’m disgusted.
I guess you can make a stereotype like “repressed Christian” and nothing be said. But if you said “promiscious homosexual..”
oh the hellfire.

Posted by: Rachel at September 1, 2005 at 11:05 am

Apparently hardcore Ajax fans tatoo themselves with the Star of David and call themselves “the Super Jews.”
So, yeah, Amsterdam is the place in Europe to wear your Israeli flag.

Posted by: Aaron at September 2, 2005 at 3:50 am

Aaron:
Except that’s pretty offensive too … I wouldn’t appreciate an American team’s fans wearing blackface, afro wigs and calling themselves the “super negros”.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at September 2, 2005 at 8:02 am