July 28, 2005

The politics of meters on Sundays

For a few years now, New Yorkers have had to pay the meters on Sundays. No more, reports Clarified, due to some wacky religious decision by the City Council. She focuses on the fact that other religions celebrate their Sabbath on days other than Sunday and that meters should be free on those days too. I think Bloomberg just got one step closer to re-election. One of the gripes I heard from people during Bloomberg’s term was that they were being nickled and dimed all the time, and meters on Sundays was a classic example of this. Now, no more meters on Sundays. And if you think Bloomberg isn’t getting the credit, despite his opposition to the plan, you’re not paying attention.

Comments

From what I saw of NYC streets, most parking is free everyday. Everybody double parks so that there is only room for one lane of traffic on the minor one-way streets.

Posted by: Jake at July 28, 2005 at 4:05 pm

Bloomberg is a pathetic shill. He is dropping all of his tax-the-people-to-death initiatives RIGHT BEFORE the election. The meters, the clothing tax and then that home phone number thing? Please!! If he pandered anymore he’d be a panda.
I’m just excited b/c his get-shit-done-NOW rate of movement coupled with his need to take credit for EVERYTHING means Mayor Bling ought to be getting me laid. And really soon, like maybe the night before the election?
I guess I could just call him at home and ask, right?

Posted by: Ari at July 28, 2005 at 4:12 pm

The Sunday parking meter thing did really piss me off and I’m glad that they are getting rid of it, even if the religious objection is a little phony. But the rationale for putting the meters in, which was a purely revenue driven measure, was also bogus. It was claimed that the meters were needed because there was an upsurge in businesses open on Sunday, and thus turnover in parking spaces was required. Well, there was an upsurge in Sunday openings, but it occurred around 1980, and we managed to survive just fine with free Sunday parking for over 20 years.
In any event, many of us in Manhattan (and elsewhere in the city) who only have wheels on weekends can look forward to sleeping in on Sunday without paying exorbitant garage rates or risking a $105 fine from the traffic agent vultures.

Posted by: bobm at July 28, 2005 at 5:44 pm

Will he still get the credit after his veto?

Posted by: Charles at July 29, 2005 at 5:23 pm

If he vetoes, obviously not. I can’t see him doing that. A poll will be commissioned. People will say they don’t like meters on Sundays. He will not veto. He will be a hero.
Or, not. We’ll see.