July 28, 2005

No Comment

Louvre Gets Donation for Islamic Art Wing

Comments

I wonder if it will have a “Martyrs” exhibit? Eurabia is approaching sooner than expected.

Posted by: NYgirl at July 28, 2005 at 9:58 pm

Soon, it’ll be all they have.

Posted by: someone at July 29, 2005 at 2:30 am

I’m sure they’ll have a space for some art depicting Saudi flags being flushed down the toilet or maybe a grand fountain complex with their prophet being pissed on.
Right?

Posted by: d-rod at July 29, 2005 at 2:50 am

d-rod:
Shit, I’d be surprised if the prospect of art depicting people (against strict shariah) makes it in without a fight.

Posted by: Joe Grossberg at July 29, 2005 at 8:04 am

Why are conservatives so reliably xeonphobic? As a practicing Catholic, I thought it was my people who were supposed to be socially 700 years behind protocol (I’m still apologizing to my secular friends for the Crusades). Lighten up, Republicans, racism is so retro.

Posted by: Shane at July 29, 2005 at 10:57 am

They should be able to kill it based on public funds being used… of course if they want to kill it…

Posted by: Scott S at July 29, 2005 at 11:13 am

Surely the French, being such effective and courageous global counterweights, will at least provide an alternative tent for anti-sharia artists to counter the propaganda art – in the interest of free expression and all. Maybe a Worhol-like piece depicting the Saudi 9/11 hijackers? I’m sure sufficient funds could easily be secured from American donors, so why not?
It only seems fair.

Posted by: d-rod at July 29, 2005 at 11:24 am

Shane, what part is racist? Do you even know the definition of racism or do you just parrot what you hear?

Posted by: Karol at July 29, 2005 at 11:28 am

Xeonphobic? You mean you don’t distrust noble gases? Chemists tell me all the time that they’re inert. Ha! They’re just lying in wait… ;)

Posted by: Shawn at July 29, 2005 at 11:40 am

this is not surprising from the same country that wanted to outlaw women wearing headscarves.

Posted by: zey at July 29, 2005 at 11:44 am

As building a new Moslem art wing is much easier for Chirac

Posted by: Cristina at July 29, 2005 at 11:46 am

As another practicing Catholic, I’d like to apologize for Shane’s apology for the Crusades. Do keep in mind that they happened following nearly a millennium of imperialistic Islamic terrorism.
Sort of like now, except now it’s not just Christians fighting this threat, and we don’t have another 1,000 years to just take it. We’re dealing now with suicide bombers, not scimitars.

Posted by: Jay at July 29, 2005 at 11:50 am

This is something worth commenting about? Chill out people.

Posted by: PAUL at July 29, 2005 at 2:34 pm

Christina, I never considered that. I’d love to snap up a few pieces my-self.

Posted by: NYgirl at July 29, 2005 at 3:33 pm

I’m not sure what the big deal is. If it is good (and I don’t mean to start a debate on the meaning of “good” – let’s just stick with “worthy of the Louvre” as the definition), there is certainly plenty of overtly Christian art in museums all over the world and nobody seems to mind. I’ve seen enough Madonna-and-child’s for a few lifetimes in fine arts museums.
If it is modern political art then I agree, but I’d agree if it were Islamic or Christian, liberal or conservative.

Posted by: Charles at July 29, 2005 at 5:22 pm