June 30, 2005

Americans hate politicians and entertainers….

….right?

Comments

Entertainers are our Royalty. Sure they don’t have as much class as other countries’ royalty, but they are ours. (I consider sports figures to be entertainers also.)
Most Americans hate politicians, and I think that is very healthy. If politicians knew we liked them, they would want to do things for us. And the results would be a great disaster.
Clinton is on that list because he is America’s greatest living entertainer. His weekly White House scandals were better than any movie ever made.

Posted by: Jake at June 30, 2005 at 12:48 pm

Reagan beat Lincoln? Really?
I mean, he edges him in MY book, but in the minds of the masses?

Posted by: Jay at June 30, 2005 at 12:54 pm

In the minds of the masses willing to vote in this contest, Jay.
I got a note from a friend rallying the troops to vote against Reagan but declined to vote at all, on the grounds that I didn’t care about the contest before I found out that Reagan was a finalist and I wasn’t going to change my mind to keep him from winning a fake award.

Posted by: Charles Star at June 30, 2005 at 12:59 pm

See, when a poll has results comparable to my opinions, I call it a pretty reliable poll.

Posted by: Jay at June 30, 2005 at 3:57 pm

This bothers me to some extent. I realy think some of the foundations of American nationalism and conservatism is a reverence for the past, our heritage, the tales of our growing pains that shaped our faith, our values, our history. These are the roots that our culture and our government grow from. While cheefully admitting that Reagan was the greatest American leader of recent times, I think he pales in comparison to the founders. I would have voted for Washington.

Posted by: Von Bek at June 30, 2005 at 4:16 pm

I find it hard to take seriously any poll which ranks Oprah of greater importance than Thomas Edison.

Posted by: Marco at June 30, 2005 at 10:45 pm

well we were perfectly fine with candles, but no-one can live without a self-righteous black woman telling them how to live their lives

Posted by: Monjo at July 1, 2005 at 10:07 am

I agree with Von Beck here. President Washington was the greatest American.
Argueably, Washington began the French and Indian/Seven Years War, which led to the American Revolution.
Washington may not have been the best battlefield general, but he kept the army together and did win a few key victories. Calling upon the loyalty of his officers, Washington stopped a mutiny, despite the chance to become king.
Washington was keay to the Constitutional Convention and the ratification of the Constitution.
Washington’s Presidency secured this country and kept us from falling apart like so many other nations.
Washington then voluntarily stepped down, refusing to run for a third term.
No other American comes close.
Ron
PS. I would like to address a comment Von Beck made during RTBF.
Von Beck asserted that Calvin Coolidge should be celebrated for the Kellogg-Briand Pact of 1928.
Hardly.
Aside from the fact that the pact was signed by Hoover, not Coolidge, I would note that it was an act of progressive lunacy.
Those idiots (literal sense of the word) honestly believed that they could sign away war.
It was exactly this reasoning that led to the UN, the New Deal, Great society….
Progressives sought to use international law to force trancendant change onto humanity.
Hamilton and Burke would have scoffed at this stupidity. Even Jefferson, drunk at one of his guillotined adorned soirees would have thought the idea silly.

Posted by: RonL at July 1, 2005 at 6:32 pm

I dont like Hollywood either. Overpaid, bigmouthed and stupid. Why do people listen to them? They get in office and screw things up royal.

Posted by: Ron at March 18, 2009 at 8:47 pm