June 28, 2005

My kind of man

Former hostage hires bounty hunters to find and kill his captors.

Comments

I’m going to guess that the guy wasn’t one of the hundreds of people detained at Guantanamo that were released because they were found to have no connection to terrorist groups, right? Because if that guy were mad at his captors, he’d be a menace.

Posted by: Charles at June 28, 2005 at 1:04 pm

No Charles, he was held by the kind of captors that generally cut off the heads of hostages but great comparison between our military and terrorists.

Posted by: Karol at June 28, 2005 at 1:36 pm

“hundreds of people detained at Guantanamo that were released because they were found to have no connection to terrorist groups”
Scary that liberals will repeat al Qaeda talking points, yet stuff their fingers in their ears when the US Armed Forces (not “the Administration”) give their explanations.
Whose side are liberals on again? I can’t be sure, but it certainly is NOT our military’s side.

Posted by: Sean at June 28, 2005 at 2:06 pm

Your kind of man ? One who has someone else to do your fighting ? Normally, I would say it is sexier when people do their own fighting or trash neocons for not doing their own fighting but I’m in too good a mood and the ironies of life are crushing me right now. I met a cute youn woman last night who-get this-fought my battles for me. She was with the Minutemen !

Posted by: Von Bek at June 28, 2005 at 2:15 pm

So now the al-Qaeda/Taliban fighters held in Guantanamo are “hostages?”

Posted by: Marco at June 28, 2005 at 2:23 pm

Oh, have a sense of humor about yourself. You’re the one suddenly keen on vigilante justice. Which, really, is more their tactic than ours, isn’t it?

Posted by: Charles at June 28, 2005 at 3:38 pm

Yeah, I’m with Von Bek on this one. Dude, how James Spader on Boston Legal is it to write a check for someone else to get revenge for you? Hello Die Hard, Rambo, Man on Fire — real men do it themselves, with extreme prejudice.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at June 28, 2005 at 3:59 pm

That should read, My kind of European. :)
At least many eastern Europeans living for decades under repression realize that fighting terrorism and promoting democracy is a just cause (ie Poland, Czech, Slovakia and such).

Posted by: Daniel Peterson at June 28, 2005 at 6:39 pm

OK, as a private citizen in Europe without any firepower of your own, you have two options: hire somebody to track them down and kill them, or do nothing. I prefer the first.
And there’s nothing about this tactic that ‘belongs’ to terrorists. Because, despite the glossy rhetoric, this is not a war on ‘terror,’ whatever that means. That’s just fluffy language to placate the morally adrift postmodernists. It’s a war against radical Islam.

Posted by: PlacidPundit at June 28, 2005 at 7:33 pm

Bounty hunters in American routinly do the job that normal police cannot do or will not do at a lower cost.
An international bounty hunter would probably be cheaper than hiring the american army to go after them.
The only problem I have with this is that there are very few market indicators to tell the poor guy if he is getting a good bounty hunter or not.

Posted by: cube at June 29, 2005 at 10:16 am

That’s true – the basic idea is good, but since Hjertstrom has gone public, it would probably be more cost-effective to use the press coverage to offer a reward for information leading to capture, proof of death, etc. $50,000 seems like a lot to spend without definite results.
Of course, the $50,000 may already have produced results(?) It’s not clear from the article.

Posted by: mary at June 29, 2005 at 11:31 am

They can and they do

I agreed with some of Bush’s speech last night, and disagreed with others, but this part really gave me trouble:

T…

Posted by: Dean's World at June 29, 2005 at 3:04 pm

If your bounty hunter doesnt look like Angelina Jolie then you’ve got a bad deal.
And there’s plenty of guns in Europe. England (and I do mean England) is the world centre for the global trade in illegal weapons. We even featured a guy on my local news who used to fly around in his private plane in Africa delivering Kalashnikovs and machetes to fighters. Now there’s a job on the right side of the law…

Posted by: Monjo at July 1, 2005 at 10:16 am