May 29, 2005

Romney in ‘08?

I don’t think so, and it’s not because he’s Mormon.

Comments

And this makes him any different from public adulterer, partial birth abortion supporting, civil union supporting Rudy G. how exactly ?

Posted by: Von Bek at May 29, 2005 at 2:31 pm

And who here thinks Rudy has a shot in ‘08?

Posted by: Karol at May 29, 2005 at 2:38 pm

Based on your comments of 5-24, I was thinking you were one of those people thinking Rudy has a shot.
I think Rudy has a shot if Pataki (if he survives in 2006), Romney and McCain all collapse quickly and the right is not able to unite on a candidate with Tancerdo (don’t understimate his appeal to heartland voters on immigration), Brownback and Allen forming a firing squad, taking each other out (a week ago I would have included Frist). But for that to happen, McCain has to sputter. Don’t see that happening.

Posted by: Von Bek at May 29, 2005 at 2:44 pm

Von Bek, I LOVE Rudy. But he’s got no shot. I’ve been around enough GOP primaries to know you’ve got to be 100% pro-life to stand a chance. I say this all the time.

Posted by: Karol at May 29, 2005 at 2:50 pm

Pataki and McCain have no shot. Rudy does.

Posted by: someone at May 30, 2005 at 8:46 am

I think he could get away with his position on Roe v Wade given that it is the law, and he has no power to overturn it. But the real litmus test is on issues like partial birth abortion, tax dollars for abortion, and parental notification. If he came out strongly on the right side of those issues, he could be acceptable as a nominee. Surely he has a better shot than McCain and Giuliani. Regarding McCain, being a member of the “gang of 14″ should permanently disqualify him. And I don’t trust Giuliani on economic policy, where he showed himself to be a Rockefeller Republican.

Posted by: Jim at May 30, 2005 at 10:15 pm

Jim: those are the small potatoes issues we’ve fought in recent years because the real stuff was off the table. But surely with SCOTUS in play the judges issue dwarfs all of them put together… And I think Romney (or Giuliani) could come out strong on judicial activism (hint hint, cough cough) without deviating too far from past ‘pro-choice’ type statements.
(Btw, are you the Jim Kahn who used to post to rmcr?)

Posted by: someone at May 30, 2005 at 11:33 pm

(I was away for a week and didn’t see this question.)
Yes, and I still post there now and then. Who are you?

Posted by: Jim at June 6, 2005 at 11:47 am