April 29, 2005

It’s hard to be against the death penalty for cases like this

Sgt. Hasan Akbar, who killed two officers in a grenade and rifle attack in Kuwait, has been sentenced to death.

Comments

Not if you are against the death penalty period.

Posted by: Not Dawn Summers at April 29, 2005 at 1:58 pm

Which, I guess, I’m not.

Posted by: Karol at April 29, 2005 at 2:06 pm

I am not sure I understand why you would single this one case out for special treatment. With the limited facts available in the link, it doesn’t strike me as any more heinous that the “typical” double murder. (And, in light of the previous post’s comments, I suppose I should note that I am actually curious and not trying to be snarky – not implying that Signor was of course…)

Posted by: Alceste at April 29, 2005 at 3:11 pm

I feel like there’s treason involved when you pretend to serve your country in the military only to murder your fellow soldiers.

Posted by: Karol at April 29, 2005 at 3:20 pm

I’m against the death penalty in general, but I think I’d support it in a case like this of treasonous murder in a time of war.

Posted by: W.C. Varones at April 29, 2005 at 5:14 pm

Alceste-
The stakes for everything are much higher in war. Every moment is potentially a life-and-death situation. Even the threat of treason can have grave consequences for both the lives of soldiers and the outcome of the war. So the penalties should be more serious.
An analogy could be made regarding drunk driving. Drunk driving is a serious enough problem in and of itself, but if we found a school bus driver totally drunk while driving a bus full of kids, the penalties would likely be more severe than for the typical drunk driver. When the consequences are higher, the penalties should be higher.
Regards,
W.C. Varones

Posted by: W.C. Varones at April 29, 2005 at 5:20 pm

At least, more hearies are dead.
R-